Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Coreys slacking Feb of 2011 Bs spot

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Sounds good Corey... except for the part about Butte... lol... kidding... Poor old Butte, MT, doesn't get any respect.

Are you starting from scratch, or do you already have some college credits in the bag?

I would think petroleum engineering is going to get real important within our borders... the craziness flaring up again in the Middle East should be proof enough that we become more self-reliant.
Butte is a very dirty town at first glance, although Im told it is a diamond in the rough.

I already have an AAS in Design Drafting Technology and have been a Steel Detailer for the last 5 yrs.

According to the Engineering department, petroleum is the highest paid and has the highest demand of any of the engineering disciplines. It is also my understanding that most in the industry are over 55 years of age and slated for retirement withing the next 10-15 years, creating an excessive need for qualified engineers.

Plus I sat in on a 3D well assesment and extraction course, it was right up my alley, lol

Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
We have a huge project in the works here... you might find a job down here someday, unless the green-weenies are successfull and getting it canceled.

Welcome to Hyperion Energy Center

And it's so much warmer here than in Montana... lol.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by jredline1984
Butte is a very dirty town at first glance, although Im told it is a diamond in the rough.

I already have an AAS in Design Drafting Technology and have been a Steel Detailer for the last 5 yrs.

According to the Engineering department, petroleum is the highest paid and has the highest demand of any of the engineering disciplines. It is also my understanding that most in the industry are over 55 years of age and slated for retirement withing the next 10-15 years, creating an excessive need for qualified engineers.
Plus I sat in on a 3D well assesment and extraction course, it was right up my alley, lol

That is awesome...

I get a little nervous to think of all the folks around me that are planning to retire in the next few years... there is going to be a ton of work, and not many folks to do it.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Wow, looks to be quite the undertaking if the "green-weenies" don't interfere. Lol, I like that term.

Ooooh, can I wear my flip flops year round?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm 45 and MY retirement plans are for 10-15 years out...I hope I'm not going to have to work at 65 or 70!!!...but you never know what the future holds I guess!!!

I wish you well Corey...remember one thing...they can NEVER take away your education...learn all you can my friend!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
That was another main point that was stressed Friday, a lack of younger workers with the necessary skill sets to move into higher paid managerial roles.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I'm 45 and MY retirement plans are for 10-15 years out...I hope I'm not going to have to work at 65 or 70!!!...but you never know what the future holds I guess!!!

I wish you well Corey...remember one thing...they can NEVER take away your education...learn all you can my friend!!!
I figured I will work until I'm dead, lol.

Thanks for the warm wishes! I thought I may be too old to return to college but then I remembered there were people twice my age attending the last time I went. I will be in my early thirties when I'm finished, but I hope an employer takes into account my work and life experience over any fellow interviewee's age.

Guess I'll find out.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I finished up my masters when I was 30...so I returned to college after working a few years and my previous employer picked up the costs...so that was sweet...and when they didn't give me a promotion or raise after spending close to $40K for my masters...I walked within a month of graduating...thankfully (for me) they didn't have a follow on clause after I graduated that said I had to work 1 year after, etc...!

In today's marketplace...you need something to set you apart...and being more life "experienced" may be your discrimator!...think POSITIVE!!!

Joe.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
morning all...man the year is already flying by!!! i hate it! lol

Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
I finished up my masters when I was 30...so I returned to college after working a few years and my previous employer picked up the costs...so that was sweet...and when they didn't give me a promotion or raise after spending close to $40K for my masters...I walked within a month of graduating...thankfully (for me) they didn't have a follow on clause after I graduated that said I had to work 1 year after, etc...!
That is a HUGE help when the employer picks up the tab for continuing education. It seems somewhat counterintuitive that they would pay for you to return to school and not want to compensate accordingly upon completion.

In today's marketplace...you need something to set you apart...and being more life "experienced" may be your discrimator!...think POSITIVE!!!

Joe.
Haha, thanks for the positive insight Joe, I get easily discouraged as Im talking about a complete change in my life. Its good to have someone else offer a different perspective.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
so you excited for school corey? when would you start?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Originally Posted by im2tall33
so you excited for school corey? when would you start?
I really am! I've wanted to continue my education ever since I recieved my AAS five years ago but life always seems to have a way of intervening. I know my attitude has been a lot better this week as well.

I believe the fall semester is scheduled to start in late August or early September. It will be here before I know it, lol

Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by jredline1984
Ooooh, can I wear my flip flops year round?
Um, sure... if you don't mind frostbite, go for it!

Just stay focused on the goal Corey... You'll have to deal with some short-term inconvenience, but the end goal is what you really want.

And just think, you can be the class "old guy"... lol All those youngsters looking up to you because you are old and wise...

Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
cool thats good news..i just found out that in a month or two one of my old insurance partners is going to start sending me commercial insurance leads, so i can start building my own book of business!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Um, sure... if you don't mind frostbite, go for it!

Just stay focused on the goal Corey... You'll have to deal with some short-term inconvenience, but the end goal is what you really want.

And just think, you can be the class "old guy"... lol All those youngsters looking up to you because you are old and wise...
Nothing like a good case of frostbite to make you feel alive, lol.

I was hoping to keep my truck through school but I don't want to stretch myself thin between a job and school and as you said, the short-term inconvenience will eventually pay off

Is wise the same thing as wise ****? lol Who knows, maybe I can impart some of my knowledge on them...if nothing else lead some of those young college girls astray (uh crap, did I say that out loud, doh!)

Originally Posted by im2tall33
cool thats good news..i just found out that in a month or two one of my old insurance partners is going to start sending me commercial insurance leads, so i can start building my own book of business!
That is great to hear Micah! Are you hoping to have your own agency at some point?

Quick Reply: Coreys slacking Feb of 2011 Bs spot