Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Ordering an EcoBoost- Go with the 4.10 Axle over 3.73?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordering an EcoBoost- Go with the 4.10 Axle over 3.73?

This week I am ordering the wife a 2011 F150 crew cab 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. We're wanting these options:

FX4 Trim
Luxury Package
18" Rims
Sony Audio with Navigation
Red Candy Paint
3.73 Electronic Rear Locker

I'm trying to determine if the "Max Tow Package" is with the $1650 because I am interested in the 4.10 Electronic Rear Locker. I don't want the huge trailer tow mirrors, though. I want the deeper gears to help with acceleration and for the fact that sometime in this truck's life it will get a leveling kit and a size or two bigger tires. We will not be using this truck to tow. It'll strictly be a daily driver and haul around our daughter and probably put our Yamaha Grizzly in the bed.

It needs to be able to cruise through the drive-thru windows, prowl the parking lots, and navigate some muddy roads on the weekends.

This is a public forum and I'm open to some suggestions.

I'm pretty well sold on the EcoBoost over the base 5.0L. Would you jump on the 4.10 gears and Max Tow Package and try to figure out something out with those monsterous mirrors? Or just live with the 3.73 gears and nicer, city friendly Power-fold mirrors. LoL

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
grm61
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I was going to tow or not with that motor I would go 373...

That motor makes enough torque down low, I don't think it would need all that gea,r 410s would be a waste of fuel.

The Max tow package would be nice if you ever did tow (trans cooler, bigger radiator, hitch etc) That is available with 373...Those mirrors aren't that bad, my Dad just bought an 2011 Super Duty with those on there..... I like them.

You never know what the future will bring, maybe you will be pulling a camp trailer some day.

You could save 1600, and not get the max tow, but you get no big rad, or trans cooler, or hitch, and you would get the small mirrors, and you can still get the 373 e locker.

The console in the FX4 is nice, but I'm cheap.

I"d do a XLT Screw, 6.5 foot box, 3.5 ecoboost, 373, Elocker (gets you the offroad package skid plates etc), max tow, (big Rad, trans cooler, hitch and telesoping mirrors) XLT apperance package (chrome bumpers grill, running boards) and call it...but then again I'm cheap, the FX4 console is nice, but not worth 3 grand to me, plus I like chrome bumpers.

My Dad just bought an 2011 XLT Super Duty PSD, even though it just an XLT, its really nice.

Good Luck with whatever you decide,
Greg

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
I have a later model Super Duty with the trailer mirrors. They're nice but a pain to deal with in town at times. Mine are the heated power glass but manual telescope/fold. It looks like the F150 tow mirrors are a similar design. Ugh! At the carwash we'd have to manually fold them in!

The 3.5L has lots of power down low- which is what makes this engine so dang appealing. I just have a mentality "to never fear the gear!" I've never thought my trucks were geared too low. But I have felt my trucks were under geared. But maybe I should never say never.

Your pop has a nice Super Duty there. I must say I'm partial to the Sterling Grey myself. LoL

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM
silver05fx4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do 4.10 but that's just me , and for the to mirrors you would have a hard time trading or selling them

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
If You go with the 4.10's, Your kinda defeating the purpose of the EcoBoost. ??

IMO, the 3.73's will be fine. It sounds like You'll be using it as a People Hauler, more than a Payload/Tow Rig?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:30 AM
Falconscheduler
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seminaryranger
This week I am ordering the wife a 2011 F150 crew cab 4x4 with the 3.5L EcoBoost. We're wanting these options:

FX4 Trim
Luxury Package
18" Rims
Red Candy Paint

I'm trying to determine if the "Max Tow Package" is with the $1650 because I am interested in the 4.10 Electronic Rear Locker. I don't want the huge trailer tow mirrors, though. I want the deeper gears to help with acceleration and for the fact that sometime in this truck's life it will get a leveling kit and a size or two bigger tires. We will not be using this truck to tow. It'll strictly be a daily driver and haul around our daughter and probably put our Yamaha Grizzly in the bed.

It needs to be able to cruise through the drive-thru windows, prowl the parking lots, and navigate some muddy roads on the weekends.

I'm pretty well sold on the EcoBoost over the base 5.0L. Would you jump on the 4.10 gears and Max Tow Package and try to figure out something out with those monsterous mirrors? Or just live with the 3.73 gears and nicer, city friendly Power-fold mirrors. LoL

Thanks!
If like you say you are going with +2 sizes bigger on the tires, 4.10's would actually be ideal, it would be like running the stock size tires (roughly) with the 3.73's as when you go up in tire size you drop your overall effective gear ratio. You can look up a ratio and tire size to rpm calculator and run the the #'s to compare, it's probably fairly close from 3.73's with stock tires to +2 tires and 4.10's. That's my 2 pennies worth!

Old 01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Falconscheduler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by seminaryranger

FX4 Trim
Luxury Package
18" Rims
Red Candy Paint

Thanks!
Tough call on the mirrors, I perosnally like the big mirrors but I see what you say about being city driving friendly!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
My understanding is you can only get 4.10s if you get 20's (in addition to FX4/max tow).

Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Falconscheduler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Power Kid
My understanding is you can only get 4.10s if you get 20's (in addition to FX4/max tow).
Funny I was just on the build and price and sure enough when you select 4.10's it automatically selects 20 in rims and bumps up the price by $1620!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
after you buy the truck, you could just swap the tow mirrors with the regular mirrors with no problem. but what I've read is that if you do want the power folding feature to work on the regular mirrors, it is complicated even if you do get the factory powerfold relay parts and mirror switch, it may require additional programming by the dealer. Or you could run your own wires and relays and use a non-factory switch mounted elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
seminaryranger
More Turbo
Thanks for the suggestions and letting me bend your ear.

I went ahead and stuck with the 3.73 gears so that I could keep the 18" rims and the folding mirrors. I'm really looking forward to receiving the truck-- now the waiting game starts.

Here's a pic of one of the order sheets.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
81beast
Junior User
I ordered mine with the 4.10s but I plan on installing LT275/65R20 Nittos right away. Hopefully a lift is not required to clear them. I drove a 2010 4.6 w/ 3.55s and 235/75R17s (30.9") and liked the gearing with that setup. To get the same feel with a 34" tire you would need a 3.90 gear.

I am replacing a V10 F250 that has 4.10s with a Ecoboost F150 with 4.10s. Both using the same tire size.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
With a priority number of 99 you will not get that truck for months or ever. Why was it assigned such a high number? Numbers range from 1 (the fastest and typically used for high end, limited production Mustangs, etc) to 99 which basically means, its gonna just sit and sit and sit....

You need to have your dealer lower that number to at least 20 or below.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
I installed factory tow mirrors on my truck because I tow, but if you don't tow , don't get the tow mirrors. These mirrors hang out much farther than the standard mirrors do.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
grm61, your dad's truck looks real nice.

Quick Reply: Ordering an EcoBoost- Go with the 4.10 Axle over 3.73?