1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Trans cooler Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans cooler Options?

What are you using for an trans cooler besides a hayden? Anyone using one of those frame mounted things like on ebay? Or they junk? My radiator is not equiped for an auto trans so I am looking at my options. Thanks
By the way using the other guys drive train 350/350TH

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hooked up my TH350 to a separate cooler (Hayden OC-1402) mounted under the cab a couple of inches away from the frame. No need to heat up the radiator by running 250 degree transmission fluid through it. I don't know what the frame mounted things are you refer to. Mine has run this way since 2006 and it works fine...

Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Vern

The one I see all the time are those aluminum anodized tube with fins that can sit in the frame rails, On your hayden did you use haden fans on your cooler for remote locations or just the cooler by itself? I want to keep the cooler out of the radiator area and keep it down by the frame where it is out of the way. Ron

Old 01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you followed my overheating saga year before last, one of the items I tried was moving the tranny cooler from in radiator to one of the round finned coolers mounted on the chassis. This wasn't the source of my heat problem (bad new thermostat) and I never drove it in traffic to know if the cooler was enough.

one like this is what I tried
12" ALUMINUM TRANSMISSION COOLER DUAL LINE TRANS FINNED - eBay (item 330506327852 end time Feb-06-11 19:28:56 PST)

I didn't have any frame room to mount a flat external cooler with fan
Sam

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
I miss that thread Sam, yea that the type I was wondering about, But now thinking about it I looked up the Haden Vern told me about that would sit in the frame rail real nice, and I guess it would not be any different than using one of those fancy looking things. Plus they are Cheaper! Thanks for your input guys

Old 01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SCRAPHEAP51
What are you using for an trans cooler besides a hayden? Anyone using one of those frame mounted things like on ebay? Or they junk? My radiator is not equiped for an auto trans so I am looking at my options. Thanks
By the way using the other guys drive train 350/350TH
My plan is to use a large cooler with a t-stat operated fan on it..........BUT I'm planning for some rather heavy towing capability and a 16,000 GVWR.

That's an F-1 panel right? Unless you're going to load it up with gold bullion, or strap a 40' Airstream on the back, you wont really need much in the way of trans cooling.

A small heat exchanger will do the job for most of the vehicles out there. The integral heat exchanger in a radiator is usually more than adequate for most cars and trucks that don't tow.

In some ways they're better because they'll help heat up the trans quicker in cold weather. If the radiator is large enough to transfer all the heat from the engine AND the trans, then it works just fine.

You don't have any hills to speak of to climb in OR and since you're probably not going to tow much, won't need much more than a small heat exchanger.

Regards,

Rick