1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

EEC components and what they do

Old 03-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The electronic engine controls consist of the:

-powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650).
-throttle position sensor (TP sensor) (9B989).
-idle air control valve (IAC valve) (9F715).
-engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT sensor) (12A648).
-camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) (6B288)
-4.2L vehicles — camshaft synchronizer.
-4.6L, 5.4L vehicles — camshaft position sensor.
-crankshaft position sensor (CKP sensor) (6C315).
-mass air flow sensor (MAF sensor) (12B579).
-intake air temperature sensor (IAT sensor) (12A697).
-heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) (9F472).
-knock sensor (KS) (12A699) (4.6L, 5.4L).
-vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (9E731).
-cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor (6G004).

The powertrain control module needs the following inputs to calibrate the engine properly:

-camshaft position.
-engine rpm.
-engine coolant temperature.
-amount of engine detonation.

The throttle position sensor :

-sends the powertrain control module a signal indicating the throttle plate angle.
-is the main input to the powertrain control module from the driver.

The idle air control valve 4.6L, 5.4L:

-controls bypass air around the throttle plate at low speeds.
-is controlled by the powertrain control module.

The engine coolant temperature sensor :

-sends the powertrain control module a signal indicating engine temperature.
-resistance decreases as coolant temperature increases.

The camshaft position sensor :

-sends the powertrain control module a signal indicating camshaft position used for fuel synchronization.

The crankshaft position sensor :

-sends the powertrain control module a signal indicating crankshaft position.
-is essential for calculating spark timing.

The mass air flow sensor :

-sends the powertrain control module a signal indicating mass airflow rate of air entering the engine.

The intake air temperature sensor :

-sends the powertrain control module a signal indicating the temperature of the air entering the engine.
-resistance decreases as temperature increases.

The heated oxygen sensor :

-has the ability to create a voltage signal dependent on exhaust oxygen content.
-provides feedback information to the powertrain control module used to calculate fuel delivery.

The 4.6L knock sensor is located in the lifter valley. The 4.2L knock sensor is located on the RH side of the block. The 5.4L has a unique linear knock sensor located in the lifter valley.

-sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating engine detonation.
-if detonation is occurring, the powertrain control module then changes engine timing.

The cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor 4.6L, 5.4L:

-is mounted into the wall of the cylinder head and is not connected to any coolant passages.
-sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating the cylinder head temperature.
i-f the temperature exceeds 126°C (-258°F) 5.4L, 130°C (265°F) 4.6L, the powertrain control module disables four fuel injectors at a time. The powertrain control module will alternate which four injectors are disabled every 32 engine cycles. The four cylinders that are not being fuel injected act as air pumps to aid in cooling the engine.
-if the temperature exceeds 154 °C (310°F) 5.4L, 166°C (330°F) 4.6L, the powertrain control module disables all of the fuel injectors until the engine temperature drops below 153°C (308°F) 4.6L, 154°C (310°F) 5.4L.
DTCs are set.
-If the engine reaches critical temperature, the following happens:
The coolant temperature gauge pointer will read fully hot at 121°C (250°F).
The check gauge warning indicator will illuminate.

The vehicle speed sensor :

-is gear driven by the transmission.
-sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating vehicle speed.

The clutch pedal position (CPP) switch:

-sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating clutch pedal position.

The fuel pressure sensor:

-is mounted on the fuel injection supply manifold (9F792) downstream of the fuel injector.
-regulates the fuel pressure supplied to the fuel injectors.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:56 PM
damonlan
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about what the varrious abbreviations mean when the odometer is in the test mode? Can't figure some of them out.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot

Ok let's try this.......
Where it says HEC that means Hybrid Electronic Cluster.

Odometer Display Description

GAGE - Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster .

All segments illuminated - Illuminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster .

bulb - Illuminates all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs (low oil pressure/high coolant temperature, low fuel, service engine soon, brake, low range). INSTALL a new bulb or LED as necessary.

r - Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; refer to Instrument Cluster .

EE - Displays hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; refer to Instrument Cluster .

dt - Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

dtc - Displays continuous DTCs. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

enG - Displays the English speed in mph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

m - Displays the English speed data (mph) received from the PCM via the SCP network. Displays the metric speed in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

tAc - Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network. Tachometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine rpm is 0.

FUEL - Displays the actual A/D fuel level. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically. If the value displayed is between 0 and 20, the circuit is shorted. GO to Pinpoint Test D .
255=open send +/-0
232=Full stop +/-10
215=Full mark +/-10
178=3/4 mark +/-8
138=1/2 mark +/-7
93=1/4 mark +/-5
41=E mark +/-4
54="LOW FUEL" (0-59)
0-18=short (0-20 max.)

OIL - Displays the code (0-255) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Displays the oil pressure reading input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6 psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure (less than 6 psi) or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch will display a value greater than 176.

dEGC - Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor. If the value displayed is -40C, the SCP message for engine temperature has not been received for more than 5 seconds. GO to Pinpoint Test E .
49 C="C" mark.
60 C=Normal band start.
120 C=Normal band end.
119 C=Temperature warning indicator ON.
"-40" C=No SCP Message for 5 sec.

br - Displays the brake fluid level input to the HEC.

bAtt - Displays the code (0-255) battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102=6.9-9.1 volts (Low voltage)
115-124=8.5-10.7 volts (Norm band start)
215-225=15.8-18 volts (Norm band end)
230-241=16.9-19.1 volts (High voltage)

rhEo - Displays the present hexadecimal value for the instrument cluster backlighting pulse width modulated (PWM) input to the HEC (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

rhi - PWM input duty cycle.

rhS - SCP hexadecimal dimming step (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

rho - Output driver counts in hexadecimal format (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

Cr - Displays the present RUN/START sense input. Display will show -L with the ignition switch in the START position and -h with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

ALtF - Displays 8-bit hexadecimal value for alternate fuel level. Display will show a value between OO and FF if the message is received.

PA-PE7 Not used.

GAGE Repeats test display cycle.

Old 07-13-2003, 10:04 PM
dbeames
Senior User

Excellent. Just for now, here is the link to the thread that I did the VIN breakdown, as much of it as I know.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=130719

Old 05-31-2004, 07:00 AM
smoken79
New User
[b]i Have A 1997 Explorer P140 Code Does This Code Mean My Back Oxygen Sensor Needs Replaced Or My Front Setting In The Seat The Right Bank Would Be The Passenger Side Downstream Would Be The Second Sensor Back From Eng To Muffler Is The Correct Way Of Looking At This And The Right Sensor To Change Any Help Or Were To Go To Find Out How To Fix The Problem Aftering Getting Code Would Be Greatly Appreciated Thanks Smoken79

Old 05-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Hi smoken and welcome to FTE
A P140 isn't a good code number. The code should have one more digit....P****.
If you can get it scanned again and let us know what the number is we can probably help.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:54 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
you say the idle control valve is only on the 4.6 and and 5.7, it is also on the 2.9 sence my bronco too has it as well

Old 02-04-2006, 10:23 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Originally Posted by bronocIInoob
you say the idle control valve is only on the 4.6 and and 5.7, it is also on the 2.9 sence my bronco too has it as well

Hey , noob...bringing back a two year old post.....why?

The posted data was a cut and paste from the PC/ED for a 97-03 F150.

All fuel injected Fords have an IAC.

Steve

Old 02-04-2006, 04:53 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
its goes without saying, i was bored..lol And i had no notifycation this was a strictly 97-03 f150 posting. Its a good thing i didnt do anything with my bronco that i saw here or else i coulda screwed somthing up.

Last edited by Racerguy; 02-04-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:56 PM
bronocIInoob
Senior User
also not to sound like a have an additude or anything. But its somones choice to repost to what i have posted here, i normally dont look at the date of the post anyway. I was just giving advice, wasnt I?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 AM
scottdeese
New User
scottdeese

I have a 1995 ranger that I am putting a 1999 engine into. Already I see a sensor located on the backside of the 1999 that the 1995 did not have, (located by the backside of the passenger-side head). I dont know what it is.
The sensor on the front-top of the engine has a different type plug-in then the other motor had.??? Do I change to a sensor that fits the plug-in or change the sensor plug-in?? I dont even see the camshaft senor plug-in yet. I am a carpenter and have a shade-tree mechanic helpping me, but I fear that the sensor issues have him guessing too. Can anybody share some advice? And if it is a 1999 engine in a 1995 truck, will the codes given still apply to the modified truck? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 PM
dozerman1766
New User
steal having problem with a 2002 explorer speedometer reading faster than u r going replaced vss no change unhook speedometer and used my scanner it doing the same as the speedometer changed all the sensors that I could think that would cause the problem but no luck any ideals would be a great help

Old 08-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Scott, at the expertise level your showing for the swap, forget the swap.
The control systems between the two years are completely different.
Your 95 worked from an EEC system that uses 3 digit codes..
The 99 uses a completely different system of OBDII using 4 digit codes.
It all changed again in 2004 to the CAN system.
Save yourself total project failure and put a rebuilt 95 motor in place and be done with it.
Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
dozerman, the dash is driven by pulses from the PCM as derived and conditioned by the PCM program.
If the program is messed up, nothing on the outside will correct it.
If it is spike interference from say the charge circuit which would also change with engine RPM, then it could affect the dash readout.
This is assuming something was not changed from stock.,
At your point, a deeper diagnostic needs to be done as investigation to uncover the source.
An older thread of this type sometimes becomes information overload to those who have very little working knowledge of the systems.
For example, an IAC has been used since the first non throttle body fuel injection hit the streets back in 1985. 2.9L v6 in Bronco and Rangers, 4.9L straight 6 and 5L v8 in the trucks from that year.
Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Scott's post is over a year old and he hasn't visited this site since then.

dozerman,

Please start a new thread of your own in the forum area appropriate your particular vehicle. Try to provide relevant information in your new post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EEC components and what they do