1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Homeade steering rack--not good

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts
Homeade steering rack--not good

Here's the homeade steering rack that I cut out of my truck last night. This is the complete steering system that was in my truck including the steering shaft minus the steering wheel. It was attached to the stock spindles on both sides. I pulled it out in one piece. That big mounting plate is made of 1/2 inch steel. It's a great concept, but it was just not working. The plate itself hung down at least 1-1 1/2 inches below the front axle (I can only imagine what would have happened if I had hit something). The boots on that rack had holes worn in them from the leaf springs directly above. When the truck hit a bump, the leaf springs would crash down on it. Just thought you all might want to see it. Every single mechanic and car enthusiast who has seen this thing have just shaken their heads. Luckily, I got it out in one piece with no damage to the frame. I'm not sure I'd reccommend anybody try this.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi Doc,
so what are ya gonna put back in? ya know yet?
do you know what that rack and pinion steering unit is? GM? Ford? or ?

yeah I wouldn't be thrilled with that homemade unit either...

Old 01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
maverickman514
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so much for THAT idea....... LOL YIKES!!!!! I think stock was probably safer

Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hi Doc,
so what are ya gonna put back in? ya know yet?
do you know what that rack and pinion steering unit is? GM? Ford? or ?

yeah I wouldn't be thrilled with that homemade unit either...
I'm gettin ready to drop the hammer on one of those Chassis Engineering bolt-in crossmembers. Yeah sure I like the idea of a bolt in. And I've got plenty of people around who could weld one in for me (I can weld just enough to fix my lawnmower or if something falls off my tractor, etc., but not this). But I just like the looks of it how it completely envelopes the frame and you don't have to plate the frame. Plus it looks good in reed1951's truck. On top of that, it can be adjusted for ride height if need be. I also like to think about things way ahead if I can. Let's say one of my kids or grandkids wants to re-do this truck years from now. They should theoretically be able to dismantle it and do whatever they want.

Originally Posted by maverickman514
so much for THAT idea....... LOL YIKES!!!!! I think stock was probably safer
I agree with you. Stock was definitely safer, and I know that because my 49 handles like a race car compared to this one. I'd go into curves and it would just all of the sudden stand up on me and literally throw itself toward the inner side if not send me straight ahead.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:45 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,469 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
(I can weld just enough to fix my lawnmower or if something falls off my tractor, etc., but not this).
You sound like me. I always say I can weld about good enough to make stuff stick, but I wouldn't want to trust my life to it.

It always amazes me the things people will come up with as a 'better idea'. Rack and pinion steering has no place in connection with a straight axle. They are two totally different operating designs, and as you found out personally, they don't work together well at all. I'm glad to hear you're fixing it properly.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that one of those things that you put in a jar of formaldehyde and put in the display case?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Is that one of those things that you put in a jar of formaldehyde and put in the display case?
LOL! I'm gonna bolt it to a piece of wood, glue some antlers on it, and hang it on the wall of my shop.

I just found out that I'll probably be taking that power steering pump off my engine. With a small-block Ford (I have a 302), you can't run a power rack with the mustang II kit i'm lookin at. Just a manual rack. No biggie.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:40 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
I just found out that I'll probably be taking that power steering pump off my engine. With a small-block Ford (I have a 302), you can't run a power rack with the mustang II kit i'm lookin at. Just a manual rack. No biggie.
Thats why it's often reffered to as a "Girly Motor" around here.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
LOL. I like girls. Especially free ones. I'm gettin too old to chase big ones.