General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

German Fighters, Bombers, and Experimental Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by thechief66
Hartmann's biography was "The Blond Knight of Germany"
Erich Hartmann - Biography of Top German Ace of WW2

"The First and the Last" was the autobiography of Adolph Galland, the Luftwaffe's commander of fighters. (an excellent book BTW)
Adolph Galland - WW2 Luftwaffe General of Fighters
I always get those two mixed up, Both are incredible books to read, and take the pilots from training in fabric covered, open cockpit, bi-planes through hellish air combat in 109s/190s to flying ME-262 jets in the final days........Real good reads.

On Hartman,........352 confirmed kills, thats like shooting down the equivalent of 35 SQUADRONS of aircraft.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
I always get those two mixed up, Both are incredible books to read, and take the pilots from training in fabric covered, open cockpit, bi-planes through hellish air combat in 109s/190s to flying ME-262 jets in the final days........Real good reads.

On Hartman,........352 confirmed kills, thats like shooting down the equivalent of 35 SQUADRONS of aircraft.
Wish I knew where my book was, I had one book specifically about Galland but I dont think it was that one. The dust jacket had his 109E on the cover.

He was referenced though in my old book "JG26" which told the story from beginning to end of the Abbeville Kids.

On another note, I could swear that Galland had more kills than that. I dont see how he became the commander of his squadron with that few kills. Especially considering how he pissed off Hitlers fat lil buddy Goring, but then again Hitler was very displeased with Goring so maybe thats why.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Cool thread, just found it ....

Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tbear853
Cool thread, just found it ....
Yep, too bad I didnt get around to posting more, lots happened and I totally forgot about this thread.

Ill have to go through it see what was posted and see what needs to still be posted.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 PM
VikingBabe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heh, I used to buy the Ballentine War books back in the 60s. Most were reprints of earlier hardbacks by German, Japanese, American, British veterans and authors. Aircraft, ships, infantry et.c. So read Galland's and Hartmann's books as well as Rudel's.

Still have quite a few of them boxed away. When my son showed a interested in WW2 history, I gave several of them to him to read. His favorite American airplanes were the P-38 Lightening and P-47 Thunderbolt.

I had a copy of the "Forked Tailed Devil" and gave it to him to read.

Yeah, the German High Command expected to wage war no earlier than 1944 or 45, but Hitler jumped the gun by declaring war in 1939. If he waited, Germany just may have had a long range bomber command.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by VikingBabe
Heh, I used to buy the Ballentine War books back in the 60s. Most were reprints of earlier hardbacks by German, Japanese, American, British veterans and authors. Aircraft, ships, infantry et.c. So read Galland's and Hartmann's books as well as Rudel's.

Still have quite a few of them boxed away. When my son showed a interested in WW2 history, I gave several of them to him to read. His favorite American airplanes were the P-38 Lightening and P-47 Thunderbolt.

I had a copy of the "Forked Tailed Devil" and gave it to him to read.

Yeah, the German High Command expected to wage war no earlier than 1944 or 45, but Hitler jumped the gun by declaring war in 1939. If he waited, Germany just may have had a long range bomber command.
That is what hurt Germany more than anything, but the reason why Hitler jumped the gun was in 1933 there was a crash of an UFO that was reported in the black forest region that they were reverse engineering. Hitler mentioned this by claiming that they had advanced technology that will force them to win the war with no chance of failiure. If he would have just kept his mouth shut wait and let his generals fight the war then we might would see another outcome.

If Hitler would have never started operation barbarosa and wait till england was crushed and conquered they had nothing to worry about the russians, the russians didnt suspect them to attack due to germany letting attack deployments leak out but were false invasion deployments so the russians thought england was leaking it out with the intent to get Russia to join the war on the side of the allies.

The other thing that killed them is when Hitler desided to use the new jet fighters like the Me.262 for an improper role, fighter bomber in this case and by time the Volksjager came out it was already to late. Bombers of the 8th air force were pounding the german industry hard resulting in the Jumo 004B turbo jet engines being made of inferior materials and resulted in the force to using wood to construct the frame of the Volksjager.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitler didn't want war with America nor Britian. But Britian pushed and pushed and war was declared.
The Hitler Speech They Don't Want You To Hear - YouTube

Hitler was a smart guy; though people today don't see it. He did make bad decisions with some of his judgements of moving the SS and the Wehrmacht around; but many Generals of war have done this. You live and learn.

I always wonder if Britian and America wouldn't have started the war, would Hitler saved Europe from the Communist invasion that took place after WW2 and stopped the spread of Communism which basically rules the world today (such as in China, Cuba, etc)? If he did, then Vietnam would possibly never would have happen and many men would have been saved.

It always makes me laugh when people say "We would be SPRECHEN SIE DEUTSCHE today; if Germany would have won the war". BS!!!!! Hitler had many allies and volunteers (Africans, Arabs, Indians, British, Americans, etc, even JEWS) and he didn't make them speak German in their countries...they spoke their language. Hitler was helping them gain independance for their country such as the Indians who volunteer to throw out the British who ruled their country. But many people don't know this and schools don't even mention this in the books. Teachers just say "We would be speaking German today" and all that other crap.

But anyways...if Hitler didn't come to power....most weapons that are here today wouldn't be here. Probably still be shoot a single shot rifle still..