Sponsored by: Moser

1977 crewcab cummins build

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
77_crew
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
That fuel cell is really nice. I gotta learn to weld aluminum.
Thanks. It should look a lot nicer when its all done and cleaned up. I took the measurments for the filler tube, sending unit and return fitting locations this weekend, so when i get the time i'll make the top section and the mounts.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
77_crew
Elder User
I have decided that for right now i am not going to install an intercooler. I have gone over the many pros and cons, and if i decide to run one in the future i'll install one then. I took my original first gen intake, cleaned it and sandblasted it. I then felt the need to remove the 5 letter swearword that was cast into it. I put the intake in my mill, and removed it....ha ha ha. i then took it to the wire wheel, polished it all up, then coated it with some hi temp clear coat.

I also gave my turbo housing the same wire wheel/clear coat treatment. I the assembled my turbo and installed it on the motor.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
77_crew
Elder User
I had to turn a custom fitting for the exhaust side of the turbo for my down pipe. I turned a flange that is on a short piece of 2 1/2" tube, then it bumps up to a 3" elbow. Now i can start planning the rest of the exhaust. I scored a sweet piece of SS 3 1/2" tubing that is around 12' long with a swooping 90 deg elbow on each end. I got it from a local scrap yard for $30. I think it was from some sort of automatic car wash setup?? who knows.... it should make a sweet exhaust.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
77_crew
Elder User
heres how she sits now with some other parts in place.

I gotta find the time to remove the valve covers, finish sand blasting them, and get them to my buddy for powder coat... I also intend on covering the firewall with some sound deadening/heat resisant insulation. Anyone have suggestions on what to use or where to get it??

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM
pidaster
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Dynamat Hoodliner

You can get this from many places online, or some of your local sound shops might have it or can advise you to a wholesaler who has it locally.
I think it comes in three different thicknesses.

I use this in the headliner of police Chargers to stop wind noise from the light bar. It's the only thing I've tried that actually worked. It also helps keeps the car cooler during the summer. I've tried many of the dynamat products and this works the best for noise.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 PM
78srgr8
Freshman User
kinda late for a suggestion but im gona use some spray on stuff called lizard skin. they have sound deadening and temp stuff that u spray on with a gun. saw it on tv on spike channel's powerblock shows on the weekend . they used it in a super cab they restoed and on some muscle cars. sell it at summit n some other web stores.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
farmfreshford
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 77_crew
As well as the cummins conversion, i planned on doing a 4x4 conversion. I have quite a few 4x4 axles and parts, but all dana 44s and dana 44hds. With the weight of the cummins i figured that i needed a 60 up front. After a long search i managed to buy a 1979 F250 snowfighter for 500 bucks!!! What a score!!!
do you have the chrome that goes under the passengerside window of the extended cab part i would be very interested in it please reply back thank you

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I also got my parts front clip home that is holding the rad i want to use, and the mint grill i want to use as well. After alittle inspection i decided that i will use the rad support, the rad, and the grill. I will use my original inner fenders and fenders i think.

Heres my original. the truck is a 77 but the previous owner converted it to the 79 grill...
I noticed that you have that front clip sitting there that's a 79 style. Think I could talk you out of leaving it to rot somewhere and selling it?

I know you're using the fenders from it, but what I'm most interested in is the grille shell and grille. The buckets and light assembly wouldn't be a bad touch either.

If you're looking to get rid of whatever's left of what you're not using on your cummins build, LET ME KNOW! You're in Canada, I'm in Canada... we'll work something out

EDIT: Guess I should ask as well... what kind of condition it everything in? I assume the shell is the original aluminum (front what it looks like because it's a dull colour). If everything is in really decent shape, I'd be interested in talking further with you.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:06 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by farmfreshford
do you have the chrome that goes under the passengerside window of the extended cab part i would be very interested in it please reply back thank you
Yeah, I think i have a couple of these crome peices for the extended cabs. I'll have to look at what kinda shape they are in, but i think there should be a good one. where are you located??

Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
I noticed that you have that front clip sitting there that's a 79 style. Think I could talk you out of leaving it to rot somewhere and selling it?

I know you're using the fenders from it, but what I'm most interested in is the grille shell and grille. The buckets and light assembly wouldn't be a bad touch either.

If you're looking to get rid of whatever's left of what you're not using on your cummins build, LET ME KNOW! You're in Canada, I'm in Canada... we'll work something out

EDIT: Guess I should ask as well... what kind of condition it everything in? I assume the shell is the original aluminum (front what it looks like because it's a dull colour). If everything is in really decent shape, I'd be interested in talking further with you.
I happen to have 5 or 6 of the 78-79 grill shells. some of them have small marks on them, but ill have to check... the chrome grill insert in the picture is spoken for by a friend, but i do have several of the factory plastic ones...if i remember right i think i have some gray ones and some black ones... but aagin, i'll have to take a look at them to see what kinda shape they are in....i'll let you know.....

Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 AM
77_crew
Elder User
Well this morning i get to go on a road trip... i'm headed to ohio to pick up a couple rear doors. The one on my drivers side is in good shape, and the passengerside one was as well until i had a little mishap that resulted in a large dent right accross the body line.... man was i angry.... anyways, its water under the brige now so i've been looking for a replacement ever since. I found the ones in ohio, so my buddy, who is also putting a cummins in a 78 crew that i found for him, and i are headin out. It will be about a 11 hour drive, and we are going to make a stop by the Bronco Graveyard in Michigan for some goodies....

Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 78srgr8
kinda late for a suggestion but im gona use some spray on stuff called lizard skin. they have sound deadening and temp stuff that u spray on with a gun. saw it on tv on spike channel's powerblock shows on the weekend . they used it in a super cab they restoed and on some muscle cars. sell it at summit n some other web stores.
Let me know how you like the stuff - how easy it is to spray and how well it kills road noise.

I'm looking at that and then Al's Liner for my truck. I've talked to people who have run both and both are well liked from what I can tell. I can't make up my mind on which to run...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
farmfreshford
Freshman User
Yeah, I think i have a couple of these crome peices for the extended cabs. I'll have to look at what kinda shape they are in, but i think there should be a good one. where are you located??
Im located in eastern Kentucky I would need the passenger side piece. My zip code is 40346. If you do have it would you post a picture too? I am very interested
Thanks for getting back to me

Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
I've been looking around this thread some and really like what you have going on. If later on you decide to intercool the motor it's one of the easier jobs in the swap. The first gen dodge intercoolers fit quite easily. Ask chase what he thinks of the super duty i/c, it doesn't seem like it takes too much to fit those either.

As a reference for weight I ran my 77 F-250 across the scale at a grain elevator, which has to be calibrated as they buy and sell with it. My front end came in at 3320# and the total weight was 5880#. My truck is a reg cab long bed without a transfer case. I'm running a hp dana 44 in the front and a dana 80 in the rear.

Keep up the good work and definitely do some sound deading for your sanity.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I happen to have 5 or 6 of the 78-79 grill shells. some of them have small marks on them, but ill have to check... the chrome grill insert in the picture is spoken for by a friend, but i do have several of the factory plastic ones...if i remember right i think i have some gray ones and some black ones... but aagin, i'll have to take a look at them to see what kinda shape they are in....i'll let you know.....
Thanks 77_crew, I really appreciate it. It sucks that your tubular grille insert is spoken for, cause I've been looking for one for a while now and can't seem to find any that anyone wants to sell haha.

It's good to hear that you've got some grille shells though. Those are getting really hard to find in any sort of shape here in SK.

No rush on getting me pics or you taking a look at your other shells or anything... I've still got a few months until I can work on my truck cause I'm in school, and then starting my student internship. I'll have to add you and contact you sometime in the near future. Thanks very much!

Quick Reply: 1977 crewcab cummins build