Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HPOP EMPTIES WHEN FIILLED NO START!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM
reyjav
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPOP EMPTIES WHEN FIILLED NO START!

Well to make my story shorter I will post this new thread, I replaced my LPOP yesterday and got all new fluids filled (HPOP oil, Engine oil and Antifreeze) because of a no start and empty HPOP. After much helpful feedback everything led to the LPOP, but when I cranked the engine it sounded like it wanted to fire and blew black smoke. After a few more tries I decided to check the HPOP oil level and to my suprise it had fallen about 3 inches frome the top. I did the same procedure two more times and it wants to start but the oil drains back into the engine because the dipstick level rose about 1/2 inch. No pressure No Start! Does anyone have any advise on how to fix this issue? Where can I start? Thanks for your attention!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the tin nut on your IPR?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Was it doing this before you changed the LPOP? Did you go with a melling or OEM type LPOP? Did you put it on backwards by chance?

If this is an old issue, it's time to check for a cracked pick up tube.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your HPOP reservoir only holds a small amount of oil, I am pretty sure if it was draining it wouldn't register a 1/2" on the dip stick.

If you let it sit, does the HPOP reservoir stay at the same level, or does it drain down on it's own?

Other things that can cause no oil pressure are in the valvetrain. Saw a deal where a rocker broke and the oil feed was not restricted anymore. That caused a open in the oil circuit and the LPOP couldn't build enough pressure at crank to feed the HPOP, this caused a no start with no oil pressure and an empty reservoir.

If you have no oil pressure when cranking, you need to make sure your LPOP is installed correctly, then start looking under the VC's, see if anything looks wrong.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 PM
reyjav
Freshman User
ipr tin nut is on. The problem started with an empty hpop so I replaced the LPOP because it wouldnt hold the oil. I have already added about 3 qts in the hpop and it still drains it when i crank the engine. there is no oil leaking anywhere, so where is is going?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
Was it doing this before you changed the LPOP? Did you go with a melling or OEM type LPOP? Did you put it on backwards by chance?

If this is an old issue, it's time to check for a cracked pick up tube.
Unfortunately this would be the next logical place to look.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM
reyjav
Freshman User
also my truck is nose up at an incline on my driveway, could this be keeping it from pumping oil? I could not check the pressure today the adapters wont fit the hpop, but will park it level and check it tomorrow after work and post results.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:57 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Edited, subscribed and learning.

Last edited by big poppa; 01-20-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Learning
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
My theory would be that if you're "using" up the oil you add to the Resevoir then the LPOP is not filling like the possibility of a cracked pickup tube. To check to see if thats the case, I believe the vehicle should be pointed downhill with extra oil in the pan, or rear axle jacked up in the air, if symptoms change it might help diagnose.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

If you have a oil gallery passage that is not restricted as designed, you will not be able to build oil pressure. As you crank the engine the HPOP will demand oil from the reservoir. With the low pressure oil being abnormally low the reservoir will not be filled properly. It could be caused from something like I mentioned before or it could be something with your LPOP.

Did you inspect the front cover where the LPOP is located? They have been known to be the problem with low oil pressure.

If it is draining on it's own I would check the anti-drain check ball in the valley. If it is stuck open the oil will drain back to the pan when shut off.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
reyjav
Freshman User
I will try both ideas, but where is the pick up tube located? Man, thats a great diagram, very helpful! What will the checkball look like if its open open closed or stuck? Thank You for the help.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
You dont want to hear it but you asked, the pickup tube is in the oil pan, which as you may know, requires lifting the engine out in order to remove.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:42 PM
reyjav
Freshman User
That will be my last resort! Well, thanks for the info and I hope to find the fix before getting to that!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 PM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by reyjav
I will try both ideas, but where is the pick up tube located? Man, thats a great diagram, very helpful! What will the checkball look like if its open open closed or stuck? Thank You for the help.
The check ball is nothing more than a check valve. They can get stuck open if something got stuck in there. You will need to verify oil pressure before tearing into anything. The check ball will not effect oil pressure, but it will allow the oil to drain out of the reservoir when shut down.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Muktown
Posting Guru
You said you added 3 quarts to the hpop, make sure your crankcase isn't way overfull now. A stuck or bad ipr will cause the symptoms you're describing also

Quick Reply: HPOP EMPTIES WHEN FIILLED NO START!