1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

REAR DRUM STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:40 AM
simonsays2005
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REAR DRUM STUCK

So this is a little different from other stuck drum cases. I had completed changing all of my drums on my 66 f100. No problems taking them off or putting them back on. I put my truck in reverse and it wont go any where. I put it back up on blocks and took the rear tires off. It turned out that the passenger side rear drum was stuck in place and isn’t coming off. I loosened the self adjuster screw and it still wont move. I know ill get it off but I’m wondering what I did wrong and has anyone else had this problem?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 AM
TheThickster
Senior User
Is your handbrake on? Are the drums the correct ones.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 AM
patmedic
Senior User
Do you have long and short shoes. Remember the short shoes go on the front.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a chance the little retaining hooks that go in from the rear of the drum
came disconnected from holding the brakes in place...that can give you a ton of grief removing the drum.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM
simonsays2005
New User
Thethickster: No the e brake is pushed all the way in, and the drums were turned so they are the one I took off of the truck.
Patmedic: long in the back short in the front, got it.
Cropdusterman: That could be it. I was almost positive that I placed the retaining pin in those little groves that hold them in place. But always a possibility. Do you have any solutions for the problem?
Thanks a lot for advise and help.
If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Originally Posted by simonsays2005
Cropdusterman: That could be it. I was almost positive that I placed the retaining pin in those little groves that hold them in place. But always a possibility. Do you have any solutions for the problem?
You should be able to check those from the back-side. If you have play, you lost the hold down. If this is the case, you should be able to cut the head off the remaining one and the complete drum and brake pack should come free. Been a while.....
--Mike

Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mike G
You should be able to check those from the back-side. If you have play, you lost the hold down. If this is the case, you should be able to cut the head off the remaining one and the complete drum and brake pack should come free. Been a while.....
--Mike
...and you may have forgetted, but I think the wheel cylinder will prevent that from happening. Remember those slots in the wheel cylinder push rods that go over the brake shoes....

Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Mike G
Postmaster
Yeah, but now that I think about it, there will probably be more resistance from the butterfly tang that goes onto that shaft prior to the springs attatching at the top. There is usually enough play in the pushrods from the slave cylinder that they fold in when pulled forward.