1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Explorer Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
corner27
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer Rear End

I have kind of went over this in one of my other posts, but I wanted to make an offical post about it.

I am wanting to put a 8.8 rear end from an explorer into my M68.
I know they talk about it in the F1 swap article, so I'm assuming it will work in the M68(F3) as well. From my research, my truck isnt a whole lot heavier than the explorers are, so I can't imagine weight is going to be an issue. Or am I wrong?

The rear end is offset a couple inches which was my main concern. This means there will be 2 angles wo worry about. Is this something to be concerend about? or will it be fine as long as the angles are set up correctly?

My main reason for wanting this diff vs the regular 9" is the disc brakes, and most of them have posi.

If anyone has this setup, some pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,390 Posts
My opinion, fwiw, is it won't be a problem, either from a weight standpoint or an offset standpoint, as long as, as you mentioned, it is set up correctly. The same rear end is used in new F series trucks and Crown Vics, both are heavy weight vehicles. You can look into if the axle bearings at the ends of the housing are the same or different, but still, especially since you don't plan on any heavy payloads, I don't see where you'd ever have an issue. And also as you've researched, the Explorer outweighs the M68 anyway, which has a greater percentage of its weight farther back than your truck does, too.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
No problem with the weight issue. This might be easier than with an F1 since your axle housing diameter is similar to the Explorer. F1 housings are about 1/2" smaller.

No problem either on the off-set of the diff. In fact your u-joints will be happier. You don't need to worry about the side to side angle, just the verticle alignment.

As long as your hub to hub measurement is close to original so the wheels/tire combo fits in the wheel wells, you're good to go.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 PM
corner27
Senior User
I believe it's about 2" difference on the hub to hub, so 1" shorter on each side.
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to get things planned out so I can start collecting parts for spring.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Get in touch with RHooper here. He put a Explorer rear end in his 48.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM
1PieceAtATime
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you do go that route, save the metal axle id tags as well as the VIN from the donor Explorer. It'll make locating parts for the axle it much easier on down the road. For whatever it's worth, good choice, the Explorer 8.8 is plenty tough as far as modern stuff goes. Cheaper than 9'' stuff and available everywhere.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you decide to get your rear end make sure you already know the ratio you want. If you have a pull a part near you, you can save some money by pulling it yourself. The better the overall shape the less to spend replacing rotors or drums.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1PieceAtATime
If you do go that route, save the metal axle id tags as well as the VIN from the donor Explorer. It'll make locating parts for the axle it much easier on down the road. For whatever it's worth, good choice, the Explorer 8.8 is plenty tough as far as modern stuff goes. Cheaper than 9'' stuff and available everywhere.
I like that name you picked [ 1PieceAtATime ] You just don,t know how true that name can be. Seems like I've been one piecing for at least the last 5 years.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Explorer Rear End You have to be careful how you read that,lol Me bad lol

Old 01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Google research the Exploder 90's. Some have drum, some have disc, some also have posi, also some have ABS. Look at what engines are driving those 8.8 rear ends. All articles have said the Expolder 8.8 on F-1 use is best. I had thought about the springs and spring mounts to the frame use also. chuck

Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Get in touch with RHooper here. He put a Explorer rear end in his 48.

That's RHOPPER.....

Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Sorry Mike, couldn't help my self. The Explorer, or 8.8 is plenty stout for our trucks. No worries there. The offset diff is no concern, the u joint only sees one angle. Just set the pinion angle like any thing else. The axle tube is 3 1/4 diameter, not the more common 3", so some minor work on the spring pads will be needed. Get the u bolts from the explorer, easier than trying to bend the 3" u bolts. There are a variety of ratio's available because this axle was put into many different vehicles. Disk and drum brakes are both available, and interchangeable. If you find an axle with the ratio you want, and maybe limited slip, but it has drum brakes, grab it. Find another axle with disc's and swap the parts over. If you got to a pull a part yard, swap the brakes right there and pay only once. You must pull the axles to do it, but it's just a C clip axle. The width is a hair narrower than stock, plan well and it won't be a problem. I lowered my F1 4" in the rear so the box is between the tires rather than above them. My wheels were made with more backspace than I ordered, so I had a tire rubbing problem. I don't think a standard wheel would cause rubbing, but I was stuck and corrected it with spacers.
I changed ratios in my axle, and rebuilt it at the same time. I purchased a kit from my local Ford dealer, and used a slightly used (50 miles) set of gears from a new mustang. I noticed that using all Ford parts made the swap very easy. The setup was close enough on the first try(original shim pack) that I could have run it that way. I made one small shim change, almost out of guilt.
Lokar makes an e brake cable for 48 ford sedans than fits our handle, and they make a kit to fit this axle, or you can adapt the stock cable.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks Rusty. At my age I need all the help I can get from you young whipper snappers.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM
corner27
Senior User
My truck has very stiff rear suspension, can I use the explorer leafs, or will they not work? I assume I would have to adjust the mounts in order to use them.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
fontime
Senior User
I would like to know the answer to your question also. I was thinking about the Explorer springs and the ride they would produce.

Quick Reply: Explorer Rear End