1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Slightly OT: Build Threads vs. a Website

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Slightly OT: Build Threads vs. a Website

I'm still a couple months away from getting the truck itself into the shop to start working on it, but I have been working on some subassemblies and doing lots of planning. I've been taking a lot of notes and pictures and am getting to the point where I really should start organizing some of this stuff before it gets out of hand. Part of the reason I had paid for a membership to this website was to have the ability to create a web page to chronicle the build of my truck in detail in much the same manner as George did with Earl. Much to my dismay, I am now finding out that a web page is no longer one of the benefits of paid supporter status. Another option is a build thread here like several others have done. That would be OK, but I'd prefer to be able to keep it clean and not have it interrupted with questions, comments, and chatter. Don't get me wrong - I will certainly be interested in hearing what other think and have to say about my project. I just want to keep it separate from the details and photos of the build. I could always start a separate thread here for comments and chatter. So do I have any other options? I know nothing at all about web design or coding and I don't really want to have to pay a lot of money for it either, so I'm looking for an alternative that is simple and inexpensive. I basically just need a place to post lots of pics and text. Any help or ideas?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

I just had another thought. What about a blog of some sort? How would that work for this and where would be a good place to start one?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have word processing software?
Usually they have the ability to fomat for a web page - nothing fancy.
Check out the following blog pages - you control posts and comments.:
https://www.google.com/accounts/NewA...CE_ONLY&naui=8

or:

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts
They should have something like private threads available.

It would basically be a thread that only the OP and mods/admin could post in or alter.
All others could only view.

At the most it would have something like a poll at the top where people could publicly choose "like" or "dislike"....

Ehh, just an idea.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I like the idea of starting a blog. It might be a really easy to post a bunch of pictures and a write-up to document a truck restoration.

It'd be just like the movie Julie and Julia....if you decide to publish a book could be entitled "Mastering the Art of Ford Truck Restoration".

The other thought is that a lot of internet service providers have web hosting as part of your fees....

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
I'm still a couple months away from getting the truck itself into the shop to start working on it, but I have been working on some subassemblies and doing lots of planning. I've been taking a lot of notes and pictures and am getting to the point where I really should start organizing some of this stuff before it gets out of hand. Part of the reason I had paid for a membership to this website was to have the ability to create a web page to chronicle the build of my truck in detail in much the same manner as George did with Earl. Much to my dismay, I am now finding out that a web page is no longer one of the benefits of paid supporter status. Another option is a build thread here like several others have done. That would be OK, but I'd prefer to be able to keep it clean and not have it interrupted with questions, comments, and chatter. Don't get me wrong - I will certainly be interested in hearing what other think and have to say about my project. I just want to keep it separate from the details and photos of the build. I could always start a separate thread here for comments and chatter. So do I have any other options? I know nothing at all about web design or coding and I don't really want to have to pay a lot of money for it either, so I'm looking for an alternative that is simple and inexpensive. I basically just need a place to post lots of pics and text. Any help or ideas?

You already have a way to do it. Go to your user CP and click on gallery. You can post pics and put in a paragraph with the picture. No one but you or Mods can change anything. You can treat it like a build thread with pictures and also put a link to it in your Sig! Visitors can rate your pictures also.......

An added benefit is that is where the "FTE Ride of the Week" is chosen from!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 470 Likes on 306 Posts
Your ISP (internet service provider) may have space set aside for you as part of your subscription. I know that *** gives about 10G of space to host websites as part of their internet service package.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I asked about the very same thing awhile back (the clubFTE that's now defunct) and had started a gallery awhile back as well. I've since removed it. Now, I've started doing one again, this time I've linked the pics to a facebook page in my signature. This way I don't feel like I have to keep everything Ford truck related. Not a big deal in that regard, but I like to keep the FTE site specific to FTE stuff. A dedicated site would be great, as I've wanted to do an Earl type thing too, but it sure can be time consuming and expensive.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 898 Likes on 476 Posts
blogspot.com is a good, free place to blog. You can even have more than one blog going at one time.

If you do a blog, might I make a suggestion? Don't link the blog in posts, use your sig line. If you ever cancel the blog, or if the blog site changes the way it addresses the blogs, it will leave a bunch of dead links on FTE. Putting it in your sig line means one change can correct everything, everywhere.

Also; if there is a thread talking about something in your blog, move any pics over to FTE. Again, that way you can't develop a bunch of dead links, and people can benefit from the information for decades to come.

Of course that's just a suggestion.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1951 Ford Panel Truck - Ford Panel Truck Project
Your Internet provider would possibly have a home page. Mine did and easy to use. I built one for my project and it was simple. Check my site to see if it is what your looking for.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
blogspot.com is a good, free place to blog. You can even have more than one blog going at one time.

If you do a blog, might I make a suggestion? Don't link the blog in posts, use your sig line. If you ever cancel the blog, or if the blog site changes the way it addresses the blogs, it will leave a bunch of dead links on FTE. Putting it in your sig line means one change can correct everything, everywhere.

Also; if there is a thread talking about something in your blog, move any pics over to FTE. Again, that way you can't develop a bunch of dead links, and people can benefit from the information for decades to come.

Of course that's just a suggestion.
Two very nice suggestions! Rep sent!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'd never thought about checking with my ISP. My internet service is provided by Comcast and it looks like they do have web hosting for personal web pages. I think I'm going to give that route a whirl first and see what I think of it since I'm already paying for the service. I'll probably go ahead and put a few pics up in the gallery section, but it's not really what I had in mind for detailing the entire build. I just find it to be a little clunky to use.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Hey, Scrapheap51, my ISP's software must be the same as what yours uses. The layout is basically identical to your page. I've spent a little time playing around with it and I think it might work OK for what I have in mind. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether they are going to provide enough space. The limit is set at 1 GB. I plan on describing and photographing everything in ridiculous detail, so time will tell if that's enough. Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i frequent the site fiberglass.com, what they have is a build thread and a comment thread heading, when you start off your build thread you also start off a comment heading thread and put your comment heading link on top of your build thread, then people can view your build and if they have a comment or question they just post it in the comment thread, seems to work good for them???

Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Hey, Scrapheap51, my ISP's software must be the same as what yours uses. The layout is basically identical to your page. I've spent a little time playing around with it and I think it might work OK for what I have in mind. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether they are going to provide enough space. The limit is set at 1 GB. I plan on describing and photographing everything in ridiculous detail, so time will tell if that's enough. Thanks again!
For what I have so far I still have lots of space on it, glad to help you out alittle, when you get it set up let us know so we can check it out!