Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Lookin' at a 1993 F250 on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin' at a 1993 F250 on Saturday

The title says it. I called on a 1993 F250 extended cab XLT with an automatic transmission. I am going to see it Saturday morning. It is about 85 miles away but the thing looks nice in the pictures. It seems like people love to use the front of these trucks to demo-derby other cars or something but this truck looks completely stock and un-wrecked.

I asked what kind of oil and anti-freeze was used on the truck and the guy told me Rotella oil but he couldn't remember what kind of anti-freeze he used but he mentioned adding an additive to prevent cavitation. That made me happy to hear. I still want to buy some test strips and be sure for my self, though. He was OK with me cold starting it and even having a mechanic check it out. So far, he seems like an honest guy.

They are asking $2500. That is a little over KBB value and that would be assuming it is in perfect running condition. Any suggestion what I should offer?

How can I test the transmission other than looking at and smelling the fluid and switching in and out of overdrive? I've never driven a diesel before but I have Nissan Sentra with an auto, so I would expect it to shift similar to my car. I would expect the transmission to be replaced at this point but I guess that depends on how it was driven. The current owner claims he used the truck to pull a travel trailer. The previous owner is suspected of using it as a commuter/daily driver.

What do y'all think? Good deal or what?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 AM
ManicMike
Senior User
Is it 4x4?

Being a '93, it would have the E4OD trans. Ask if it's original, ever been rebuilt, last time it was serviced (should have a fluid change every 30-50k miles). Since he towed, does it have a external cooler on it or not.

Post up pictures if you can, should give us a better idea on helping you.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
The guy I spoke to said he had the truck for 2 years and used it to pull a camper trailer. How frequently, I don't know. I asked him if the transmission has been repaired or replaced and he didn't know if the previous owner did or did not. I have yet to see the truck but I know the automatic transmissions go long before the engine. Besides an aftermarket cooler or fluid filter, how would I determine if the transmission is original or rebuilt?

As far as I know it is 2x4. I kind of assumed it since there was no mention of 4x4.

The previous owner has put less than about 10K or less on it seeing that he has only changed the oil once or twice. He said he does the oil and maintenance between 3-5K. So he says. He said he uses Rotella oil and additive for the antifreeze. Both sound good to me.

Keep in mind, this truck is 85 miles one way from me, so I can't keep coming back to check things I missed or play around. I have a 2 page list of things to look for and check; I need to be thorough the first time. I will have to pick up some SCT test strips as well.

Since he is OK with me having a mechanic check it out, maybe that is the way I should go. This is if there is a mechanic within 50 miles. HAHA

Old 01-14-2011, 12:51 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
These are the pictures supplied by the seller.

1993 F250 diesel

Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a 4x4, the hubcaps have space for the manual hubs. Transmissions dont just go out like that, it has high miles but usually if the transmission was not abused when he pulled the trailer then your fine. i would check the fluid level, filter, and see if you have metal shavings in the fluid. check the differential as well and check for shavings or metal and see where your sitting after that.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Drew2010
Senior User
no it is not a 4x4..... hubcaps arent the place to look. I have seen trucks of this period with the auto hubs, so holes would not be necessary. The place to look is the interior.... Not shifter or buttons on the dash..... not a 4x4.

I can tell by the stance, but I have a trained OBS eye. lol

Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I can check the dipstick for the transmission but I doubt the guy is going to like me taking the pan off it or the differential. Ideally that is what I would want to do but I know I wouldn't want some stranger taking my car or truck apart. Would the Ford dealer look at those things if I brought it to them? What do they charge to look a truck over anyway?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:54 AM
ManicMike
Senior User
$2500 is alot for a 2x4 truck. I mean to tell if the trans is a rebuilt/reman there should be a sticker or something on the side of the trans, under the hood or on the door jam.

It does look clean, but personally I won't spend that much money on it. I picked up my f250 for less then $2200 and it's a 4x4, but a standard cab with less miles. My PO had a bunch of receipts for the truck too. Showing when the Glow plugs where done, oil changes, ect.

ANY time a receipt isn't shown, the price should be reduced. Cause if it hasn't been done recently, then more then likely your going to have to do it soon. Just some food for thought while shopping for a used car/truck.

Also look at the oil and oil filter. Is it pitch black? Extra thin? ( fuel could be in the oil and be wreaking havoc on the engine bearings.)

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Supposedly this guy did the plugs, plug controller, radiator, and water pump recently. I will expect receipts for those things at minimum. I'm not planning on paying $2500 for the truck. Maybe if it were 4x4 and had all the documents and was flawless. I will probably start the negotiation around $1800 and hopefully meet somewhere between that and $2200, provided the fluids and such look good.

What kind of test strips should I get and where?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Dark Horse
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is as clean in person as it is in the pictures starts and runs good then the price is in the ball park for Texas.(Depending on actual condition Maybe on the high end but not unreasonably so especially if the owner is at all negotiable.)Make sure he used Motorcraft,Beru glow plugs or plan on replacing them asap.
Mark

Old 01-14-2011, 03:53 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Yeah, I don't need Autolites falling into the cylinder. KBB has it at $2155 in Good condition.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
looks nice.but looks only go so far too.
one big thing you have going for it,is no rust.
i would want to pay 1500 for it,but if after looking around,and not seeing them for this price locally,i could see paying around 2k for this truck provided its as good as the pics.
i think you found a nice one.now just strike a good deal.
4wd isn't such a concern as it is in snow county.kinda have to have a deliberate off road use to justify spending more for a 4wd there i would think.
i always pay below KBB value when buying,because old trucks require a lot of $ in maintenance and repairs,and hardly anyone truly keeps them maintained to their fullest.
you have to be prepared for a tune up and fluid flushes in everything when buying,otherwise there's always the unknown factor making you sleepless at night lol.

napa sells the test strips.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That truck is very nice, same color as mine. I have Captians chairs and 4x4. There is no 4x4 lever on the floor....... so 2x4 it is.

I would give $2500 in a heart beat...... that truck up here would sell for $4500.

If you don't buy it I may fly down and get it..........it's probably never seen salt.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Most of the trucks like this that I have seen around here are beat up and they show it. Being an IDI, I am hoping to have simpler repairs and no computers to get in the way. I like power but at what expense? This is why I chose the IDI over the PSD.

I think I will be fine with the 2x4. The most I see me doing is driving on country roads or across a field.

I might, if it all works out and the truck is reliable, be driving it to Massachusetts and back to get the rest of my tools and furniture. It would cost as much as this truck does to have a company move that stuff for me. I'll have to look into the cost of a U-haul trailer soon.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
That truck is very nice, same color as mine. I have Captians chairs and 4x4. There is no 4x4 lever on the floor....... so 2x4 it is.

I would give $2500 in a heart beat...... that truck up here would sell for $4500.

If you don't buy it I may fly down and get it..........it's probably never seen salt.
if your willing to travel for a rust free truck,you can find 'em all over the south with 4wd for well under $4500.
don't be willing to pay so much for a 2wd that requires so much money on top to get her home.there's no need.
usually in snow county,the 2wd's are even cheaper because their limitations are very well known(even the clean shiny ones don't get a second look from me lol).i would guess if anything,the 2wds would go for more in places where 4wd wasn't such a drastic drive train option.they kinda loose their value quick in places with lots of snow,compared to the 4wds.
ebay,KBB,car fax and craigslist are your friends.

Quick Reply: Lookin' at a 1993 F250 on Saturday