1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Hidden fuel cutoff switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hidden fuel cutoff switch?

So I was thinking of adding an anti-theft device to my truck. Since our trucks are so easy to break into and drive away with i'd like to do something to prevent that.

Does anyone have any type of secondary anti-theft device outside of an alarm? I'm thinking there should be a way to rig up a toggle switch somewhere that could control the fuel flow or something simple that I could do at the flick of a switch would make stealing my truck a heck of a lot harder.

Anyone with thoughts or suggestions?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
smashclash
Elder User
My old man said he did the following:
Mine is not a fuel cutoff, it is an ignition cut off. It is wired inline to the coil and when it is on, it will allow the truck to start very briefly and then trips. after it trips, it will not allow it to start even though it is cranking. flip the toggle to the other side and push the button and you're good to go again. I bought it on ebay. I'm not sure how it will work on your truck. Do you have one coil and is it separate from the distributor? Look on ebay for "ignition cutoff" it's basically if someone were to try and hot wire the truck, they couldn't keep it running and it would take time for them to find the problem.
His 85, I6 is carbed. Mine is EFI, 302. Any reason I could not do what he did above?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did this to my '90 Diesel, mine is wired with a toggle switch and going to the clutch safety switch. So now I don't need to clutch in to start it.

When the switch is off, nothing happens when you turn the key, no matter what you do.

When the switch is on, I can start it without steping on the clutch.

On my '89 F150 auto, I wired another toggle switch to the fuel pump relay, so it will always crank, but not start. That switch has to be on for the fuel pump to work.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your's is simple....just cut the wire and add a toggle on either side of the inertia switch wire. Doesn't matter which side. You could even make the cut under the hood near the fuel pump relay and put the switch inside the truck. That'll take them a little while to figure out.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My switch is inside the cab for both trucks.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Wicked Endings
Elder User
I'm not worried about people stealing my truck.

One look at it and they will probably think "I couldn't get that thing out of the parking lot" or "My boys back home would laugh if I were caught driving that up"

Don't take me wrong, I absolutely love my truck. I don't care how it looks.

But, you know... I doubt they'd like to steal mine. lol

Besides, they probably couldn't figure out how to start it.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:07 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wicked Endings
I'm not worried about people stealing my truck.

One look at it and they will probably think "I couldn't get that thing out of the parking lot" or "My boys back home would laugh if I were caught driving that up"

Don't take me wrong, I absolutely love my truck. I don't care how it looks.

But, you know... I doubt they'd like to steal mine. lol

Besides, they probably couldn't figure out how to start it.
Figuring out how to start it is all I'm looking to do. BUT, thieves will more often steal older vehicles as they are easier to take. I think installing some type of anti-theft device would never be a bad idea.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:23 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A hidden toggle switch would be easy and effective, the only problem I see is that the thief wouldnt know about it until after he mutilated your steering column. Something visible like "the club" might prevent that from happening.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:46 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Originally Posted by bashby
A hidden toggle switch would be easy and effective, the only problem I see is that the thief wouldnt know about it until after he mutilated your steering column. Something visible like "the club" might prevent that from happening.
there really isn't a right solution. i mean, to get to the steering column is he going to use the coat hanger or smash the glass? is he just breaking in to steal the radio anyway? how comfortable am i going to feel that he broke in and went to the glove box and stole my insurance card and registration and subsequently now knows where i live?

there's nothing fullproof. But a toggle switch on the enertia switch will give me some peace of mind that when leaving my truck there will at least be something left of it when i come back to it.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smashclash
there really isn't a right solution. i mean, to get to the steering column is he going to use the coat hanger or smash the glass? is he just breaking in to steal the radio anyway? how comfortable am i going to feel that he broke in and went to the glove box and stole my insurance card and registration and subsequently now knows where i live?

there's nothing fullproof. But a toggle switch on the enertia switch will give me some peace of mind that when leaving my truck there will at least be something left of it when i come back to it.
I never lock my doors, mostly out of habit. Last year someone broke the window out of my truck anyway, tools on the pass floorboard and cd player untouched. F'n kids. I agree that the hidden switch would add a little peace of mind, just make sure you use a switch capable of handling the load and make good reliable connections. It would suck to have a breakdown because the switch burnt out or the wire came unhooked.
EDIT: Come to think of it, I dont think I even have a door key for my truck.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
smashclash
Elder User
I never lock my doors, mostly out of habit. Last year someone broke the window out of my truck anyway, tools on the pass floorboard and cd player untouched. F'n kids. I agree that the hidden switch would add a little peace of mind, just make sure you use a switch capable of handling the load and make good reliable connections. It would suck to have a breakdown because the switch burnt out or the wire came unhooked.
EDIT: Come to think of it, I dont think I even have a door key for my truck.
I was going to get a decent sized toggle switch from either radio shack or the auto parts store. probably have to make some type of custom mount for it. I will solder the inertia wires that run to the switch and cover them with heat shrink tubing.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
If you get a switch rated for whatever amperage fuse runs the fuel pump you should be fine.
I've seen vehicles where someone did some fancy wiring and you'd have to do something like turn the dome light or something on before it would crank, I thought that was a pretty good idea too.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
capacitor discharge system will keep most people out of your truck. Let 'em know what it feels like to grab a hold of a high-output coil.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
smashclash
Elder User
If you get a switch rated for whatever amperage fuse runs the fuel pump you should be fine.
I've seen vehicles where someone did some fancy wiring and you'd have to do something like turn the dome light or something on before it would crank, I thought that was a pretty good idea too.
Yeah my old man sent me a link this morning that you need to activate the hi-beams:
Vehicle Immobilizer highbeam FLASH activated - eBay (item 190454710147 end time Feb-06-11 13:04:37 PST)

Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by smashclash
Yeah my old man sent me a link this morning that you need to activate the hi-beams:
Vehicle Immobilizer highbeam FLASH activated - eBay (item 190454710147 end time Feb-06-11 13:04:37 PST)
Cheap enough, I guess its just a relay, cut the wire going to the starter and run it through the normally open contacts of the relay then use whatever power source you want to turn the relay on and allow power to go to the starter.

Quick Reply: Hidden fuel cutoff switch?