1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1960 Factory A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:24 PM
lwclark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960 Factory A/C?

Anyone have a guess as to the possible history of this A/C box hanging under the dash of my truck? There's no compressor or condenser in the engine compartment, so I'm assuming this was an aftermarket project that a PO started and didn't finish. Could this be vintage 1960, or is it a later Ford A/C?

Thanks for any background y'all might be able to share.

Last edited by lwclark; 01-07-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Photo wasn't visible.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Larry,couldn't see your photo.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM
lwclark
Senior User
I posted to the gallery instead. Hopefully that fixed it.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
that looks simular to the one in my 63 galaxie..but through the years many have been dealer installed in everything...i have several of that style laying around..i also have 2 that were made for the 67-72 ford trucks follow the bottom of the dash i guess were some kind of dealer item

Old 01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
lwclark
Senior User
Thanks Whiskey,

I sent the picture to ClassicAutoAir.com and got a great answer:

That's a unit typically used on 64-65 Ford full-size applications. It's very similar to a Mustang version, but cannot be installed in a Mustang due to the drain location. We regularly install those units, including a re-chromed face bezel & new ball-vents for $550 plus any parts and/or fiberglass repairs, if any are needed.
So, 50 years ago somebody bought this truck, endured a few Texas summers, then sprung for a dealer-installed A/C unit.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
factory a/c

yea i cant blame them ..i have been through a few south texas summers..ha ha ha ha ..i guess that answer you received was just for the unit not the complete system..i was thinking of pulling the "complete" system for the fe block from that 63 ..would be useful in many other old fords for guys wanting to stay cool with original looks instead of the vintage air set-up..the car even had a clutch fan that i didnt think came out until later years..but working on these old ones you learn new things all the time

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Originally Posted by lwclark

So, 50 years ago somebody bought this truck, endured a few Texas summers, then sprung for a dealer-installed A/C unit.
It's more likely someone pulled the unit off of a junker from a wrecking yard and installed it themselves. (My dad did that to the family ride when I was a kid) It may have worked for a few years, then the engine compartment stuff was junked the first time some major work was needed under the hood, because it was in the way.

If you wanted to have it functional again, the folks at CAA could fix you right up. It is a cool looking piece, (no pun intended) and looks right at home there.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1960 Factory A/C?

Hi all and Wayne - I have a similar unit that I got out of a 80's Ford van at local Pick and Pull. The van was converted into a construction type first aid - ambulance type vehicle, the A/C unit was mounted in the rear cabinet. Was surprised to see it only had barb type fittings and regular type hose clamps, but remembered I had seen this on a dealer installed unit in a 74 Torino.
I am also looking for info on the unit I have. Would the vain type compressor as on a 5.9 Cummins work with this A/C unit? Will try to post units info tag latter. Here's a pic of unit, I hope.Bye for now

v

Old 01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
Hi Rod,
By vane type compressor, if you're talking about the little Sanden units, I would think it would work fine. They do make different kinds and sizes, so it might be a good idea to check with a local A/C shop for a recommendation. If you wanted to put that in Old Ugly, I'm sure it can be made to work great, as long as the unit itself is still in good shape.

Years ago, I worked in a bodyshop that also did A/C work and was a dealer/installer for Mark IV aftermarket systems. All the kits had those barbed fittings and special clamps with little tangs that fit to the end of the hose, to make sure it was located properly on the hose/fitting.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Last Chance 56
Elder User
Whatever it is, I would keep it in the truck. That thing is cool as hell. Pun intended. LOL.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Hi Rod,
By vane type compressor, if you're talking about the little Sanden units, I would think it would work fine. They do make different kinds and sizes, so it might be a good idea to check with a local A/C shop for a recommendation. If you wanted to put that in Old Ugly, I'm sure it can be made to work great, as long as the unit itself is still in good shape.

Years ago, I worked in a bodyshop that also did A/C work and was a dealer/installer for Mark IV aftermarket systems. All the kits had those barbed fittings and special clamps with little tangs that fit to the end of the hose, to make sure it was located properly on the hose/fitting.
Hi again - Yes, in Old Ugly. I guess a Sanden , what ever the small non piston ones are that Dodge used on the 92 5.9's If I use proper compressor would simplify mounting and finding proper belt. The biggest problem would be is where to mount the condenser. Could it be cooled with electric fans? Have no room behind grill as inter cooler is there. As I won't have room under dash I am thinking of putting A/C unit between seats facing forward. Don't think it would take much to cool a small cab like this. Went out and looked at the unit, no tag, Only says Frigette and vin#. I have those clamps with the tangs on them. There's a shop here that makes A/C hoses, know them well.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd use a newer compressor that was made for, and only used with, R-134a. You also need an condenser and orifice tube or expansion valve designed for R-134a. Unfortunately, the part you have is the cheapest part of the system. It will not cool as effectively as an evaporator designed for R-134a.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 PM
old ugly
Senior User
1960 Factory A/C

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd use a newer compressor that was made for, and only used with, R-134a. You also need an condenser and orifice tube or expansion valve designed for R-134a. Unfortunately, the part you have is the cheapest part of the system. It will not cool as effectively as an evaporator designed for R-134a.
One would definitely have to make a plan and check it out. May not be worth while. Thanks you very much for your input.