Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Leaving Arizona..

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving Arizona..

I know.. crazy huh? But yes, its true! Depending on how things go, it will be between Feb-Mar sometime. No real defined time as of yet, but the deal is done!

One of the larger ranches I had been contracted with for training, has decided to put an offer on the table I couldnt refuse. I am not looking forward to the cold, but its something that I just couldnt say no to.

I have had a blast here with the AZ crew!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 PM
96f350az
Senior User
aw man. well good luck and congrats!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, Where are you headed? Sure hope you stay plugged into our Chapter. Best of wishes always.

Craig

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
best wishes Chris! i hope you plan to take the 59 dually and finish it some day!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thank ya'll guys! I am gonna miss it around this part of the states! I am hoping to stick around long enough for this GTG.. Be kinda nice!

Craig, definately planning to stay plugged in.. Seems to be quite a bit that goes on around here! I am off to Douglas and Bill, Wyoming.

Bill.. Thats the plan! Anything truck wise has to come with!

Its all the moving details that are getting worked out! The hardest part.. 23 horses to get moved! LOL!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Wyoming is a nice State, but it is cold in the winter. Too cold for Bill & I. Ha Ha.
Craig

Old 01-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Yeah.. its bit too cold for my liking as well.. Which is one reason I chose to move down here! LOL! I guess I am going to have to suck it up!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Chris,

It isn't that bad only -20 or -30 below zero in the winter. Carry a good ax to break water for livestock. As a kid I grew up on a ranch I always remember hand feeding off the wagon & breaking ice, @ 0 dark thirty in the morning. That wasn't enough in my later years I became a professional farrier. I kept my fingers in it until last year. I will now advise but my days of climbing under horses is done.

Craig

Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
No kidding Craig! I grew up in southern Wyoming and had those fun experiences myself! LOL! I just wish the all the dealing would have been for here!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
You know Chris, if your doing what you want to do & enjoy your work the weather is no big deal. You prepare for it. It becomes part of your work & life. I'm retired & getting old & with time on my hands the weather has become much more of a deal. My life is more about being able to be outside & warm. Because other wise I'm caged into a house or trailer. But my work life was mostly in the cold winters. I was a mechanic & part of my career was working as a field mechanic for a core drilling company. Then the second half of my work career was as a contractor. Yea the cold made work a little harder but you adjust. One thing I remember was when I worked the cold sometimes was much easier than real hot. I can't imagine doing the work I did living here in Yuma in the summer. I remember when I was in Austin TX in the summer thinking about shoeing horses in that heat & humidity. Even though the winters were mild I was glad I worked in Nevada.
Craig

Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Thats what I definately noticed about this area.. Its really geared towards retirement in many areas (Sun City, lol)!

I do definately enjoy what I do. For several years I devoted my time and efforts in government work (federal, state and county) until here a while back when I decided it was time to venture out on my own and get back to doing what I enjoyed! It was defintely an uneasy decision, but has turned out nicely!

In my start, I had contracted with another large ranch, and bit off a heck of a work load. I kept up with it (training, sales, competing) for that ranch, and obtained exclusivity in operations. It finally went a different road when the dynamics changed there, and there was a strong interest in their family end to make an offer to me I couldnt pass up, shares in business and to manage their 12,000+ acre northern ranch. By the way the buy out went on my end, I got the message that it is a permenant interest.

I have lots of cold weather gear (civillian and military) and am in the process of getting more before I get up there! I cant believe I am actually seeking to go shopping.. Sheesh! LOL! The greatest news I recently got.. There is an indoor heated arena! Whew! Big relief!

No worries Craig.. In case you ever forget what the cold was like, I can take pics and share, or send you some snow?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Chris, Thanks if I want snow & cold I just have to go check on my mom in Nevada. It was 35 degrees for the high there today. We got out just before the cold & snow hit.
Sounds like a great deal. With a heated arena you'll have it made. When I was shoeing I went to the White Mountain Ranch out of Bishop Ca. It at the time had some of the world famous cutting horses. They had this huge indoor arena for training. I'm pretty sure it was heated & A/C. I was there in the summer & it wasn't in use that day. We were in the stall area with doors open.

Craig

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Sounds like a good job for you.23 horses is a big move.If I'd have known you train horses I would have sent my filly up to you.Good luck.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Originally Posted by SGnAZ
Sounds like a good job for you.23 horses is a big move.If I'd have known you train horses I would have sent my filly up to you.Good luck.
You can't train Females. You should know that.

Craig

Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Midwest Dually
Posting Guru
Steve.. See, now you share something like that! Sheesh! LOL! I am not looking forward to hauling that many back up there! Fortunately I do have a couple that are for sale, so if they can get new homes it will help with how many I haul!

The haul down here was challenging enough!

Craig.. we pretend they can be! LOL