1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

GAS PRICES

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:53 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
i thought about an electric motor on an 1951 plymouth

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by havi
Would it be an insane thought to think that maybe the country should get itself out of the hole BEFORE the gas prices skyrocket again? Who's shoulders would that fall on to get that done? I know it ain't on mine, I ain't nearly that rich, or greedy to screw the middle class and below.
well.. no, not insane.. but where is the money gonna come from.. thats the whole problem.. today 85% of the tax revenue is paid by 25% of the population. see this this is the rich have more so should pay more theory. 45% of the population don't pay ANY tax at all.

so currently we have a 10 yr deficit.. (14.3t/1.4t/yr).. to clear that (in 10 yrs) we need 2.8 trillion of income per year. 1.4 on the deficit, and 1.4 to run the country.
the 85% already paying, don't have double to give.

even IF we could come up with 25% reduction in expenses.. (350 BILLION)
that only helps reduce the need to 3/4 of double tax income.

don't know where to come up with 350 billion is savings.

and technically its the House that is responsible..

executive branch sets strategy and direction (president)
legislative branch makes law and collects funds (house & senate)
and judicial branch keeps a watch over both (courts)

Sam

Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by iwannaflattie
i thought about an electric motor on an 1951 plymouth
Welcome eRoadster Home This isn't the Street Rodder article I was originally looking for, as the the one I was thinking of was in an older article back in the late 90's early 2000's which featured a '32 or '36 Ford coupe.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
One more factor in the price of gas is oil is traded in US dollars, the US dollar is worth a lot less since our buddy, the annoited one, is screwing with everything. He's spreading the wealth, thanks, but no thanks.
He might be spreading the wealth but we're no seeing it up here in Canada, a $115.9 a liter, multiply that 4.5 for our imperial gallon or the 3.8 for yours. I just lost my car pool to work and drive a 100 miles a day, and we wonder why the government wants gun control,lol

Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Just keep raping the american public . Too many people not paying all the necessary taxes and etc. they should . So all of us true paying people are paying for the illegals needs .
Have stock in Canadian oil . It i si doing OK. No need to depend on foriegn oil .
Way too much govermnet waistless spending . Any one care to try to calculate how much how much it cost to send the one trick pony leader to India for 10 days ?
Almost got the wish I was hoping for last yr. when the meteor came close to earth . Let it hit and get it over with . Some times one gets tired of struggling .
Gas here is $3.10 . Was in west palm bc. fri .Unleaded reg was $3.21 . Predictions for it to see $4.00 for summer . Good bye trip ti Iola .Have been wanting to attend forever .

Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
dalmeida
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since gas prices are tied the fact oil futures are traded on the open Market and with the world moving out of recession there's only one place to go and it's not down. Personally I think its a crock. The oil industry manipulates the supply of refined products(gasoline) by keeping their stocks at a level that maximizes their profits.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by dalmeida
Since gas prices are tied the fact oil futures are traded on the open Market and with the world moving out of recession there's only one place to go and it's not down. Personally I think its a crock. The oil industry manipulates the supply of refined products(gasoline) by keeping their stocks at a level that maximizes their profits.
I'm sure the oil industry isn't 100% innocent in this but look how the government screws with the different formulations of gas. Here in SE WI we have numerous blends depending on the season. Every time they switch formulations the price spikes. I just wish the damn government would keep they fingers out of everything. There has never been anything the the federal government has touched that hasn't cost us money and you have moron in office that thinks that's the only way to run things.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
years ago I had a **** job ,low pay and a motor cycle ..the choice was to get drunk with my buddy's and moan about no money or put gas in the bike..at 45cents a gallon I went for a ride..40 years later I still will go riding over having a beer...never learned to smoke .but I have gas money and a house to keep my cars..never owned a new car.. short answer ..I don't care about the cost of gas if I want to go for a drive or a ride..goverment never held my hand or saved my butt ..I take care of my family ..and friends ,,it still is better here then any place else I can think of..

Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I'm sure the oil industry isn't 100% innocent in this but look how the government screws with the different formulations of gas. Here in SE WI we have numerous blends depending on the season. Every time they switch formulations the price spikes. I just wish the damn government would keep they fingers out of everything. There has never been anything the the federal government has touched that hasn't cost us money and you have moron in office that thinks that's the only way to run things.
Actually Bob, after Sept 15 each blending change through the winter further reduces the actual cost of producing the gasoline. The oil companies are then allowed 'water down' the gas with cheap additives such as butane. They are not allowed to use them in the summer because the lower the RVP's (Reid Vapor Pressure) are not permitted mainly because in the higher heat the cheap additives can actually evaporate in the tank and in extreme high temperatures (above 100 F) could cause the gas to actually begin to boil in the tank.
There's a pretty good description of this here: Refining 101: Winter Gasoline

Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice info, thx

Sam

Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Björn
Elder User
here I pay €1.54 for 1liter

Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie
im paying 3 69 a gal im baker....7.80 for marlboros.25.00 for a 12 pk of coronas
Makes me glad I quit smoking and drinking. I will not quit driving though!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:02 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think we all knew this was coming. For that matter, I think we all know where it's going, too. It will certainly change the face of our hobby. I remember debating with another member recently on engine choice. I always advocate for the most efficient powertrain combination and usually with fuel injection. The other member prefers the largest, loudest gas-sucking behemoth he can find just on principle and claims that he could care less about gas prices. I wonder how long attitudes like that will continue after it costs $100 to fill a 20 gallon tank in a vehicle that only takes you 200 miles on a tank?

Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
I think we all knew this was coming. For that matter, I think we all know where it's going, too. It will certainly change the face of our hobby. I remember debating with another member recently on engine choice. I always advocate for the most efficient powertrain combination and usually with fuel injection. The other member prefers the largest, loudest gas-sucking behemoth he can find just on principle and claims that he could care less about gas prices. I wonder how long attitudes like that will continue after it costs $100 to fill a 20 gallon tank in a vehicle that only takes you 200 miles on a tank?
It certainly has made me reconsider the entire build of my F1, among others.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The same here. I decided to keep the 289 and got rid of the 460 and C-6 for $200.00. I put it on Craig's list and couldn't even get a scammer to bite. A friend of mine took it off my hands for me. The other option would have been scrapping it.

The last time the 289 ran it was getting 16 mpg @65 mph. I think I can improve on that number with EFI and some horsepower gains.

I have noticed with my bikes that up to a point, the more power I got from it, the better my mileage was. I think it's because a more powerfiul engine didn't have to work as hard to maintain the same speed as the less powerful engine so you didn't have to open the throttle as much.

Quick Reply: GAS PRICES