Sponsored by:

Tool Box Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
twisthappyr6
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool Box Options

So I've been thinking of various options for installing a tool box in the ex. I know I can just stick a Rubbermaid tote in the back and call it done, but I'm wanting something a little cleaner. I've been looking at these for a while and am thinking about giving it a shot. Tell me what yall think.

American Truckboxes LLC Super Heavy-Duty In-Frame Truck Box — Locking T-Handle Style, 24in.W x 24in.D x 8in.H | In-Frame Boxes | Northern Tool + Equipment

Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That box looks to be a bit small and the install would be too difficult to make pleasant to look at.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
twisthappyr6
Freshman User
Its by no means giant, but I would think I would be able to store the essentials in it.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I too have been thinking of a smallish tool box for the X. Right now I have three totes in the back. One with ratchet straps and axle straps for the car trailer, one for all the different ball size and drop receiver combos (seems like there is one for every trailer), and the final one holds my electric winch, winch/universal battery, and all other winch components.

All that stuff and no tools. lol

Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
There are some real nice storage bins for the rear doors and Northern Tool has a nice selection of Aluminum, steel or molded plastic that would look nice and help to keep stuff organized. I would run a pair of 0 gage wires to the rear with a tow truck type of plug for the wnich power and for jumping as needed. I would also keep each drop reciever and ball in a seperate box with the trailer or unit it is needed for.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
BoulderLionX
Junior User
Help me out here, because I can't visualize where exactly where this would be mounted on an Excursion. Is it on the floor behind the third row seat?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
twisthappyr6
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BoulderLionX
Help me out here, because I can't visualize where exactly where this would be mounted on an Excursion. Is it on the floor behind the third row seat?
You would have to cut a hole in the floor to make it work.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
twisthappyr6
Freshman User
No dice on that style box, the fuel tank goes almost half way up between the frame rails.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM
BoulderLionX
Junior User
Originally Posted by twisthappyr6
No dice on that style box, the fuel tank goes almost half way up between the frame rails.
Having spent a lot of time under the rear of my Excursion lately, that was my concern.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
radmacks
Senior User
LOL, I just bought some rubber maids for mine to carry the winch and essentials. Glad i'm not the only one.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
broncorif
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I use Craftsman tool bags to store my tools, jumper cables and a bottle jack. I bought some Husky brand straps that velcro together and have a spring clip on the end. I attached the straps around the bag handles and attach the spring clips to the rear tie downs. This keeps the bags from sliding around or becoming airborn in an accident.

Small bags keep items separated and easy to find. They are also easy to move around to make room for hauling bigger items. For me, its much better than having a large tool box that may keep you from being able to haul large items.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have thought about a floor mounted box. Say 8" tall by the width and depth behind the 3rd seat, with pull out slides. Something you could still pull out easy if more height space is needed.

Right now I have a new rope still in package in the back, with shovel and axe kicking around with spare oils strapped to spare. In the spare under the bag are a short chain, lube, gloves, jumpers and flat repair kit. That is when you get around the baby strollers.LOL

Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I keep a set of hand tools in the front seat's center console.
I put the 12" (?) soft craftsman toolbag inside empty.
Then I just kept filling it up. I can move the whole bag
around inside to make room for other stuff as well:
tire gauge, gloves, flash light, etc. that I don't want "in" the
tool bag.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:59 AM
twisthappyr6
Freshman User
Anyone have any experience with this storage box from Husky Liners? Looks like they offer one that locks into the 3rd row seat brackets for easy install and removal. Little pricey though, cheapest I've found is around 775.

Ford
Husky Storage Box

Old 01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by wallz
I have thought about a floor mounted box. Say 8" tall by the width and depth behind the 3rd seat, with pull out slides. Something you could still pull out easy if more height space is needed.

Right now I have a new rope still in package in the back, with shovel and axe kicking around with spare oils strapped to spare. In the spare under the bag are a short chain, lube, gloves, jumpers and flat repair kit. That is when you get around the baby strollers.LOL

Surprised no one has mentioned them yet but try looking at Tuffy Security Products. They make exactly what you describe for various Ford products, the closest probably being an Expedition. A phone call might tell the OP if they have anything that would fit the bill for an Excursion.

Tuffy Security Products

Quick Reply: Tool Box Options