1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy or Not to buy, What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by lakewood
And if your implying where i live is redneck(hick). its not to bad. i've seen some redneck country living, but not where i live
No man, I was being serious, I had a good time around Jacksonville when I was younger, it was an eye opening experience for a kid from West Texas who hadn't ever left the ranch so to speak. It was a good "educational experience" with the old guys hanging out at the motel killing beers after work. I still remember my first day welding (aka grinding and carrying around rolls of wire and bottles) at Orange Park High School, I was shocked the school had a stadium, practice field, field house, gym, and seperate classroom buildings, it almost seemed like a college to me. I was a wide eyed kid back then, that was probably my first real trip away from home.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 AM
bigblue61
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck is useless, violates federal laws, regarding headlights and tail light heights, also way too big to drive on amy road so will need to be transported on trailer, with tires off...what was the point of this again

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 AM
8aStang
New User
Originally Posted by bigblue61
truck is useless, violates federal laws, regarding headlights and tail light heights, also way too big to drive on amy road so will need to be transported on trailer, with tires off...what was the point of this again

Actually The Headlight Law for Texas is 56" and tailights are 72" that is from ground to the center, It has been driven all over the US, I have been sent pictures of the truck in some mud fest event in FL and it's about 2 hrs from where I live, It's not illegal in any way here. I dont know where you maight live and what your laws are but there are far bigger trucks driving around texas with no problems.
The point is I was trying to get any idea of what it might be worth to the general public. I like it but dont wanna pay to much for it.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 AM
leadsled56
Junior User
from what i can see its a pretty fair price. whenever you buy a built up vehicle you want to think, "how much would it cost to do this to a truck?" in this case i'll bet it would be close to around 30,000 to 35,000 if you would to do it all yourself. big tires are expensive but they aren't any where near the most expensive upgrade to that truck. lift alone on that thing is 10 grand minimum. then turbos, engine build, etc... dont worry about people saying you are compensating for something. some of us don't need to. we just like the built stuff better. bumper laws are usually only for largely more liberal states. they tend to care more. like Utah, or Colorado. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. even if you got stopped for something as dumb as a bumper or no mud flaps, you can always add some removable ones later. some states have a headlight hieght limit. all you need there would be to set up some lower grade fog lights in the current bumper and you are set.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 AM
bigblue61
Senior User
Originally Posted by 8aStang
Actually The Headlight Law for Texas is 56" and tailights are 72" that is from ground to the center, It has been driven all over the US, I have been sent pictures of the truck in some mud fest event in FL and it's about 2 hrs from where I live, It's not illegal in any way here. I dont know where you maight live and what your laws are but there are far bigger trucks driving around texas with no problems.
The point is I was trying to get any idea of what it might be worth to the general public. I like it but dont wanna pay to much for it.
The tires are 52inches by themselves so you would pretty clearly be over 56inches at the center of the headlights, I don't know the inspection or safety laws of your state that is up to you...just don't want to see you buy a truck you cant use.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 AM
leadsled56
Junior User
why are we worried so much about mud by the way. yeah the tires are putting the axles to their limit but you people are talking like the first time this dude moves the truck, all four tires will be rolling down the road while he's sitting on the axles. I wouldn't go serious mudding until I at the least changed the shafts but just because people have ran 2 1/2 ton Rockwells doesn't mean thats the only thing that will work. honestly, the best way to build these things, especially if you start out with someone else's project, go until something breaks then upgrade it. otherwise you're going to be going and putting way to much money into things that may not have needed it to begin with. it's a nice truck. It may not be some people taste, but a lot of people on this thread seem like unless you are driving your truck exclusively to go hunting, then its useless. these are also the people who secretly wish they could do it too. They just talk themselves out of it for what ever reasons. as far as I know, and maybe I'm wrong but, traffic laws are not federally mandated, they are city/state mandated. this is why laws change from state to state. this truck doesn't break federal laws. resale may end up being a problem though. don't expect to get out what you put in. just because it's worth 20 grand to you doesn't mean its worth that to someone else. specialized trucks like this have a pretty narrow consumer base.