Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

January 2011 Chat / All Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:58 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Afternoon gents...looks like the weather guessers miss'd the freezing rain this time. I wasn't looking forward to a second week in a row of a home-ward journey with the frozen stuff on the ground and folks freaking out.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Well, headed back to the 'Bay this weekend, maybe I can finish the bathroom this time. Last time I was there I got the walls done and ceiling installed, now to built the vanity and trim it all out. Need to take some more pics and update albums
When I was working for Caterpillar we used to have a joke/verbal jab when someone was spending allot of time on a "job" (machine/engine). We used to make the comment that job was going to be their retirement job as much time they've spent on it. I bring this all up because I'm beginning to think Jeff the day you finish "the Bay House" you'll retire.
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
I still cant decide what I want to do with my '90 F150. Rebuild it as is (351w/E4oD) & deal with the mileage or hunt down a 3.9 Cummins & manual trans and get 20+ mpg. The problem with the Cummins is the weight which is close to a 460. I could probably find a decent reg. cab long bed F250 that had a 460 or diesel & use the frame but not sure if it will be worth the trouble. I plan to take the 150 all the way down anyway but would a 3/4ton frame be to much for a daily driver with a little hauling.
You could KIS (keep it simple) and just overhaul/rebuild the 351W...with millions of them out there on the highways, parts will be available for years. But if you want to join the diesel crowd...depends on how much power you want out of the mill under the hood. I've heard of guys putting 4BT (3.9L) in Broncos, Scouts and a couple of other projects. You could always put a 6.9 or 7.3 (IDI) in there and keep it "original". As far as a 3/4 as a daily driver...I drive my Pavement Princess 6-7 days a week. And we almost always take it on road trips...regardless if a trailer is in tow. But diesel getting closer to $3.50 a gallon

Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by zhilton
I bring this all up because I'm beginning to think Jeff the day you finish "the Bay House" you'll retire.
You know something Zack, I think you have hit the nail on the head, that is sorta what I had planned for. Only problem I have found though, every time I actually finish one project, it leads to two or three more

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only problem I have found though, every time I actually finish one project, it leads to two or three more
Don't feel bad, most of my projects are unfinished, and I still come up with new ones all the time.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Afternoon gents, learned a "valuable" lesson Thursday morning after my commute back to Carnage Misery. The tail gates on our SD have a gap at the bottom to allow pivoting. When hammering along in the snow covered left lane...that gap will allow a fair amount of snow to get into the otherwise dry bed (got a bed cover). Good thing the few items I had back there could get damp...just wasn't expecting to see that much snow inside the bed.

The company I work for has several F350 & F550 hy-rail trucks for track inspection & repair. RailcarPhotos.com - Photo Details - UP - 62738 (not one of our trucks, but similar in function). On the dually trucks, only the inside inch or so of tread on the inside tire actually touches the railhead...the rest hangs "in the air" including the entire outside tire. I bring this up because the rail we use is about 7" tall (133# pounds a yard length)...Thursday evening coming into Harrisonville, MO we noticed something strange with the snow on the track; looked like something was dragging through there. It wasn't until we got to a crossing that we figured out what we were seeing was the impression of the outside tires from one of the F550 in the snow. Clearly the snow was 7" plus in that area. And it's going to snow some more tonight...

Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Good morning and happy Monday!
Have a wonderful day everyone!

Old 01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
bill henry
Senior User
Boy, suppose to be a beautiful weekend. Weather man said 60 saturday. Sounds like rib cooking weather to me.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bill henry
Sounds like rib cooking weather to me.
What time do we eat?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:35 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
What time do we eat?
Oh yeah! I'm game for that Think if we showed up with Root Beer, Bar-be-chew beans and plates he'd feed us Jeff????

Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
I don't really need an excuse to drag the Shovelhead out of the garage on a warm day in the middle of winter, but ribs would be a good one.
Beats the one I've been planning on using, warming it up to change the oil.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Been thinking that tomorrow would be a great day for a ride.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
So, my kid borrows my '61 F-100 to haul a trailer full of firewood to somebody. Missed his turn and jammed the brakes(4 wheel drum, no power)on.
By the time the rig got stopped the trailer was jackknifed under back bumper of the truck. Lucky I put that drop hitch on there for pulling the Scotty, or he'd have crushed a fender or bent the crap outa my bumper.
As it was, the tongue of the trailer passed under the bumper and the front corner of the trailer hit the rear tire of the truck with no damage to either.
I didn't find out about it until a week later when my wife accidently mentioned it in a conversation about something totally different.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
when my wife accidently mentioned it in a conversation about something totally different.
Yeah, I've found out about a few too many things that way too, sort of (head comes up and you say) "HE DID WHAT?" and then run out to inspect the damage Glad all is good.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
bill henry
Senior User
boy crow, sounds like your son got real lucky, not getting hurt or wrecking the truck.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Morning gents...hope everyone had a great time yesterday with the beatiful weather. I would have loved to gone scooter riding, but I was at work instead. Something Don Tyson wants to keep feeding his chickens. Oh well, it was all OT...and considering the 3 weeks before that had been rather dry as far as hours/OT go I was more than happy to work. Now the weather guessers are crowing about 10-12" of snow for here Monday. I hope not, because the crew vans won't leave the parking lot if there's white stuff on the roads...which means they shut us down.
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
As it was, the tongue of the trailer passed under the bumper and the front corner of the trailer hit the rear tire of the truck with no damage to either.
I didn't find out about it until a week later when my wife accidently mentioned it in a conversation about something totally different.
Wow! Talk about a close call. I'm sure the effort he had to go through to get the trailer out from under the truck was enough to teach him a lesson about "panic braking"
Yeah, I've found out about a few too many things that way too, sort of (head comes up and you say) "HE DID WHAT?" and then run out to inspect the damage Glad all is good.
And here I thought I was the only that discovered little "surprises" like that. I could relay a couple of mine...but I'd either end up divorced or dead.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
No scooter ride over the weekend. The battery on one bike decided it was done. The bike with the good battery doesn't have the trunk on it, so wouldn't have had enough room for the cargo I was after. Ended up taking the Jeep. Spent most of the afternoon and part of the day Sun. splitting and stacking firewood. Oh, joy, my f-in' back is killin' me.

Quick Reply: January 2011 Chat / All Topic Thread