1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How many here actually drive your trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, my F5 is not a daily driver by any stretch of the imagination, and living 25 miles (one way) from town I still have not made that run. I do drive it around the neighborhood when the weather is nice and over to the next county for gas at the closest store (5 miles away). My buddy lives in town and when I have trailered it there to do work on it, I do drive it around town and also to the local 'cruise ins'.
With a top speed of about 45mph, anything not local puts it on the trailer, although I am giving thought to driving it to the GSMF100 in June. That's a little over 100 miles each way and will be an all day drive trying to avoid going through Knoxville.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:18 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
I bought my 48 F1 in Feb '99. Put it on the road July 01 as a daily driver. For several years it was my only driver including winters. I put on 15-20,000 miles/yr.

It has taken me to eastern Ohio via Colorado and Kansas, to Boise ID to Spokane WA multiple times, Lethbridge AB and probably a few other trips I've forgotten about.

I don't know total miles as the odometer quit working several times, but it has to be close to 90,000 miles over the last 9+ years. That was on a used Merc flathead engine.

The engine is now very tired and needs rebuilt, but a little over a year ago I bought a Shelby and between $$ going elsewhere and the sheer joy of driving the car, the F1 is patiently waiting. Also doesn't help that I jumped into an F4 build for plowing snow. Too many projects, too little time........... so yes, I drive my truck but not as much now.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finished HOMADE in June 08 and have almost 20,000 miles on it but in March I got the COE running and have put about 1500 miles on it this summer, 54 degrees here yesterday so I took it out for about an hour. I've changed the name from the BEASTT to T-MATER and the kids love it--------------- me too.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
calorchard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive mine around town 2 or 3 times a week, drove it in the rain Wed. and made a note "need RainX" I use the van pool for work and when I park the 54 in the lot @ Walgreens I get "love notes" on it, people wanting to buy it or telling me its "cute". We have 2 trucks 1 SUV 1 gas saver and 1 motorcycle. The new disk brakes work wonderful in the rain.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my truck has been a seasonal driver for three summers now: april - november. i put about 2500 miles on it per summer. i'm retired, so it project trips, HD, Lowes, up to brother in laws to work on trucks. often take it out just to drive it. getting a cosmetic rehab and mech update this winter. dick r.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 PM
wwgg2
New User
I just had mine out yesterday here in Pa.
I drive it a few times a week in the summer.
Woody

Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 PM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive one of my 3 trucks just about every day ,but not in the snow and I haul stuff in the back all time . Two trucks have over 30,000 mikes on both of them..The orange one has been to Fl twice ,Mass twice,Tenn three times and to the great state of KY at Homade house three times..

Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM
tbrock
New User
I'll be driving my 55 to and from school and wherever else everyday once it gets far enough along.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES...soon we will do some long trips in ''earl''.
Trying to decide when and if to drive some of my trucks to the Florida ranch......no snow!!!.....year around driving conditions.....Bill

Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
I bought my 50 F2 as a driver. Way rough but still a driver. It has a later model V8 S-10 chassis for all the modern amenities but still carries the old body and that is what really counts. This truck will never be considered a show truck by any stretch of the imagination but it is my baby and I really enjoy just driving it. The reaction from people is priceless.

My daily driver is a 98 Ranger [276,000 miles] but my F2 is what I drive when ever I can. Honestly winter time is tough so I use that time to try and straighten out one of the rough spots.

This is the best truck I have ever owned as it sole purpose is to make me happy and it does just that when I drive it. I will know how much when I get the new instruments in it. Been driving by the tach.

jim

Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
HD74
Elder User
I bought the 51' 11/08 to be a driver but after driving the truck for 6 months I had enough of double clutching, electrical and overheating problems. The thing that broke the camels back was fuel squirting over the top of the engine. Anyway got back on the road this spring after installing a new harness, suspension and drive train. So far this year I have around 1500 mile on it. This year I hope to put more than that on it with a trip planed to Salem, Or. this summer. Again not a daily driver but a driver.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Mine's been "done" (90%+) for 3 yrs now and I am ashamed to say I only put 984 miles on it this year. I've gotten to where i have taken it as much as 40 miles away from town, which is the middle of nowhere here, but I tend to favor the motorcycle in the summer, or the Porsche for commuting. This year I am bound and determined to take it on a long road trip thru the mountains for some camping and to hit some events, so I have my winter's work cut out for me.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Is mine driven, no but I am!

My 56 was running well when I bought it in 1988. For the first 3 years I owned it, it was my only 4 wheel vehicle and so I drove it in the winter because my other vehicle was a Harley and I was in AK.

When I bought another car the truck got parked for a while. I probably drove it about 2 or 3 hundred miles a year until I moved to Oklahoma. The roads here are treacherous and the truck had some bump steer built into it by the PO and so it was only driven about 100 miles since 1999. For the last 5 years it has sat in the garage.

I had plans to do it up as a Hot Rod once I got all the money together to do it. No shops I talked to wanted to do a bit here and there as I could afford it and the cost of doing the whole thing was prohibitive so, I finally realized it was going to sit in the garage forever if I didn't start doing something.

So, in April of 08 I took a welding course at the local Voc-tech and started with the rear end figuring if I screwed it up then I could take it somewhere and get it fixed right. Wonder of wonders, I didn't screw it up.

Then the house caught fire. Then my mother died. I grieved for a while and rebuilt the house. Now I am back in my home, things are pretty much squared away and I just got the last settlement check so, the next part is the front end.

Once the front is done, and a few other minor things happen, I should be able to drive it again. Then I will look at making other improvements to it.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
I have owned Willard since 1977. It was my daily for 10 years and finally the 56 Nailhead got tired. I am sure that I drove it 100,000 in those 10 years. I traded the beat Nailhead for other early flathead parts and got a 327 with plans to install it. Many other cars and boats got in the way until about 4 years ago when I started a complete frame up. Then another antique that I have really needed the fenders done-flaking paint. Well that turned into a ground up last year. Hopefully I will complete that ground up this winter and then get back on Willard next winter. The only thing that I did last year was build a high torque 383 stroker for Willard .
My longest trip in Willard was cross country flat towing a Model A Vicky in 1978. Pix of the start of that trip in my gallery.
In summary, Willard is patiently waiting for his turn at the front of the line.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
I've had mine for about 22 years now;I'm in the Military so mine has to be driveable I usually work on something that will keep it down a few weeks then back driving again. It was a daily driver however, now I drive my little girl to school which we have to get on the interstate so I only drive it on the weekends. School has been out for the past two weeks so I've driven it to work during that time. I've driven it from N.C. to Kentucky then back to S.C.

Quick Reply: How many here actually drive your trucks?