Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

The New and Improved Official Oregon BS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Kainoom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any social events that go on? Something for chapter members and family to get together and BS. Always thought picking different spots around Oregon, lunch/BBQ and what not, having some fun showing camaraderie and support to people in the area would be a great way to break the ice and get others involved.

Could poll locations/events and so on...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Emcommer
Freshman User
If it is your first rifle don't poopoo the Savage 110's. They are much cheaper and while not quite in the Remington quality bracket they are pretty solid little rifles. They've been making that model for over 50 years. Watch bi-mart for a sale and you can find them under $400 a lot of the time with a usable scope. I also want a m700 but at half the price it gets you in the woods sooner.

I've been shooting a few times with my 11yo grand-daughter. She loves the 10/22 and is working on the 22/45 but that's a little big for her hands still. I need to get another 10/22 and maybe another 22/45 so we can compete on a duelling tree. That'll make it even more fun for her (okay, me too).

-Brian

Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Emcommer
Freshman User
Hey guys. I'd post this in one of the general forums but I figure you guys would have more insight as you are local and understand the crazy pricing we see around here.
I'm hunting down my first Ford right now. I want something for a daily driver as well as something I can tow a 5th wheel with for vacationing.

Some things I know I want:
  • 7.3 Diesel
  • Automatic
  • Long Bed (don't want to mess with slider for 5th wheel)
  • Ext. cab (want some inside cab storage for ham radio equipment and room for the grand-monsters)
  • 4x4 (due to potential emergency comms activations)
I'd really like to get into the super duty era but cash is limited. I know I'm going to have a hard time finding what I'm looking for in the $5k range but I'm trying to find a way to take my budget up to $7-8k.
Looks aren't that important, though I don't want it falling apart either.

My questions:
  1. Is there anything I should look out for in the '99-01 years?
  2. Can anyone give me a difinitive 5th wheel towing capacity (total and pin weight) difference between a SD F250 and F350 in these years?
  3. Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for in these years?
  4. Is there anything I need to watch out for in general with diesels (this is my first Diesel and first full size pickup).
  5. Is there much or any space behind the seats in a regular cab or are the seats pretty much on the wall (I'm a 6-footer so seat probably most of the way back)?
  6. If I get one where it hasn't been done yet, what is an average price range to rebuild the engine? Transmission?
  7. When on average would a person expect to do these rebuilds (I know this is based on maintenance but...)?
  8. Is it any harder to learn to work on Diesels than a gasser or is it just 'different'? I've worked on gas engines without more than the usual learning curve. I'm just trying to figure out if Diesel is just more learning or am I fooling myself.
Thanks in advance for your insight. If you know of something like what I'm looking for around my price range let me know. I've been hammering Craigslist all over OR and WA but I expect there may be local ads from those people not quite literate on the usefullness of Craigslist...

Hope you all had a great groundhog's day (it was also my 15th anniversary).

Brian

Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I really don't think you need to worry about getting a Super Duty to fill your needs, the 92-97 F-250/350s are just as strong, easier to work on, and cheaper to keep on the road, and IMO......a lot better looking.
And do not discount a 460 powered truck, I have never found a job that was too much for the 460.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Emcommer
Freshman User
The interest in the Diesel is for mileage as well as expirimenting with biodiesel.

That leads to another question. What year can you safely say they removed rubber from the fuel lines?

Thanks for the input.

-Brian

Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 AM
892504x4
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Don CONGRATULATIONS on the house and shop

Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
Good morning and have a terrific thirsty Thursday Oregon.

Brian, if possible get a 99.5 and up if you are going with a superduty. They have a higher performance high pressure oil pump for running the injectors and bigger air plenums going from intercooler into the heads. Advantage of superduty over OBS is they are intercooled, electric fuel pump and higher performance HPOP. And injectors are a little better also I believe. The transmission may be a little stronger also. But these comparisons are based on stock trucks.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning Oregon!

Happy Thursday!

Don, Congrats on the new homestead!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don CONGRATULATIONS on the house and shop. It will be fun wetching the pictures of how things come togather for you and the wife. I meet a lady tha said she was the first to buy a house on the base there. She said she would look out for new people moving in. I can not tell you her name, but I'm sure you will meet.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good morning all happy thursday

Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Emcommer
Hey guys. I'd post this in one of the general forums but I figure you guys would have more insight as you are local and understand the crazy pricing we see around here.
I'm hunting down my first Ford right now. I want something for a daily driver as well as something I can tow a 5th wheel with for vacationing.

Some things I know I want:
  • 7.3 Diesel
  • Automatic
  • Long Bed (don't want to mess with slider for 5th wheel)
  • Ext. cab (want some inside cab storage for ham radio equipment and room for the grand-monsters)
  • 4x4 (due to potential emergency comms activations)
Originally Posted by Old93junk
And do not discount a 460 powered truck, I have never found a job that was too much for the 460.
Also don't discount the venerable V10!

I tow a 9000# 35' hitch to bumper travel trailer ALL over the country...been to the Rockies twice and heading back again this summer...the V10 will use some more fuel than a 7.3...but I haven't found a hill yet the V10 with 4.30's can't take at speed!...just my $0.02...

Joe.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Good Afternoon Oregon.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off hi guys, sleep study went ok I guess. I am now the proud owner of my very own CPAP. I did get to meet Jason (Bendog) today in Medford and give him the gas tank that Steve and Allen pulled for him. I have to tell you that's one mean looking crew cab he has!

EMcommer I will reply just a bit to your post seeing as how I drive a Ford Diesel and tow a 5er
As stated already just about any of the Ford Diesels will haul a 5er for you just fine, as will the 460 and the V10. My old 1975 with a built 460 spent many years towing a 1985 40' 5er with a big living room slide. I have seen my buddy pull massive loads with his 2002 Triton V10 as well. Problem with both of those is you don't pass too many gas stations!
As for the diesels, if you want something that will tow good in the $5000 range and a truck you can actually work on yourself... go with a turbo'd IDI. years 92 to 94 with a banks turbo kit will put out more power then a stock first generation powerstroke. The powerstrokes from 94 to 97 are very reliable and have tons of power especially if you do a few things like a chip and bigger exhaust but they are computerized and parts are more expensive. Also a nice one will run you $7000 to $10,000. I personally wouldn't own anything newer then that, while the newer trucks run circles around the older ones in power they come at a high price of expensive parts and even more expensive repair bills on a truck you really cannot work on yourself without the proper computer diagnostic equipment. IMHO I prefer to do as much of my own work as possible so I drive a computer free 1992 IDI that I hope will be sporting a turbo soon but even without a turbo she pulls my boat/camper combo and my 5er just fine.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Ed, did you get a mask fitting with your CPAP?

I agree completely on the new trucks, nothing newer than a 97.....And I would not say the new truck run circles around our older ones in power, I have seen plenty of them struggling just as bad over Willamette pass as any older truck...........And when the repair bill comes,......I would not want to be that guy.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Emcommer
Freshman User
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm leaning toward the IDI. I'd much prefer the least computerized parts as possible.

Question on cavitation issues: At what point does cavitation really impact the engine? I assume it takes a long time for cavitation to generate meaningful wear. I guess what I'm asking is if the engine has less than 150k on it, would cavitation had a minimal effect compared to something with closer to 300k? At what point do I really want to pay attention to whether the previous owner used SCAs? Of course with a 15-20yo truck the odds of my buying from the original owner is pretty slim.

I also have a question on fuel systems. Is there a year where the fuel lines stopped using rubber? I ask as I want to run biodiesel and I want to be aware of what years I'll need to plan to replace the lines.

Thanks again, everyone.

Brian

Quick Reply: The New and Improved Official Oregon BS thread