Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Buying an 01 Tribute--anything to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buying an 01 Tribute--anything to look for?

My father-in-law is buying a 01 Tribute to replace the Durango he rolled. I check it out and other than a very small oil leak, squeaky balljoints and bald tires it seems to be in good shape. Are there any issues with this model or year I should look out for? It came from a salt state but the undercarriage looks clean. Are there any specific spots that like to rust on these things? Any input will be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Biggest issues are wheel bearing noise.A little job to change spark plugs or rear coil packs if its a v6.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
See the recent post about lower control arms breaking. Salt? I don't know. Check the condition of the fluid in the transmission if it is an auto, and consider any maintenance records accordingly. The sway bar bushings(?) are another questionable part, and I understand MOOG links are better than OEM as they have grease fittings.
I would remove the oil filler cap and look at the color of the inside of the engine. A well maintained engine will look almost like new, with possibly some discoloration and very light deposits. Check for the battery box mounting bolts being corroded also. Look under the box, and on the top of the horizontal transmission pan if it is an auto.
tom

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomw
See the recent post about lower control arms breaking. Salt? I don't know. Check the condition of the fluid in the transmission if it is an auto, and consider any maintenance records accordingly. The sway bar bushings(?) are another questionable part, and I understand MOOG links are better than OEM as they have grease fittings.
I would remove the oil filler cap and look at the color of the inside of the engine. A well maintained engine will look almost like new, with possibly some discoloration and very light deposits. Check for the battery box mounting bolts being corroded also. Look under the box, and on the top of the horizontal transmission pan if it is an auto.
tom
Salt is what caused the hugh rear axle recall on the old Windstar. I was at my dealer about a month ago and they had 44 of them on their lot waiting for parts with some since July. Ford made 1000 extra for service parts, they are gone as is the company that made the parts and the dies that make them.