Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 F150, 302 5.0L - cranks but won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Shep1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, to be clear, I went through every step posted on this thread only to finally have my truck towed to a trusted high school mechanic friend of mine who reached in, took off the dist cap, and rotated the rotor by hand and said the timing chain was gone...he either rotated it in reverse or forward...can't remember, but that was his test and sure enough that fixed my problem. Although, after replacing all of the above I still have a great running hunting truck..If I remember correctly when I tried to crank it, the motor seemed to rotate a lot faster than usual and would spit and sputter but no crank..

Shep

Old 04-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Longbody89
New User
Originally Posted by Shep1
So, to be clear, I went through every step posted on this thread only to finally have my truck towed to a trusted high school mechanic friend of mine who reached in, took off the dist cap, and rotated the rotor by hand and said the timing chain was gone...he either rotated it in reverse or forward...can't remember, but that was his test and sure enough that fixed my problem. Although, after replacing all of the above I still have a great running hunting truck..If I remember correctly when I tried to crank it, the motor seemed to rotate a lot faster than usual and would spit and sputter but no crank..

Shep
I'm thinking mine is a wire. It team like a top when I changed the fuel filter then didn't. I'll check the rotor but it seemed solid.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM
Longbody89
New User
Originally Posted by Longbody89

I'm thinking mine is a wire. It team like a top when I changed the fuel filter then didn't. I'll check the rotor but it seemed solid.

Update to the struggle:
I dropped the rear tank to get an actual visual on the gas level, it was darn near full. This is after running on the rear tank for 200+miles. that seemed odd to me. While the tank was down I replaced the fuel pump because the needle didnt work anyway. Now the needle works, small victory. Tried to start the truck again and no joy. Took apart the tank selector switch and it seems to function normal. replaced the actual manual tank selector switch, it works. tried again and no joy. I then swapped the two relays in the engine compartment. I think the fuel pump replay and the ecm maybe??? Truck started right up!!!!! I took it for a test drive and the alternator died, or so I thought. Replaced the alternator on the side of the road, and it started right up. Drove it home and parked for the night. Next day girlfriend took it, and it died on her at the home depot. turn the key and nothing. no fuel pumps no crank, nothing. After work I went to go look at it and it started right up. I did nothing. So I drove it about four miles to her house and on the way it sputtered and died. Dragged it the rest of the way with my hybrid nissan (probably not designed for that). A couple hours later when leaving I tried it again and it started right up. I should mention that when I was trying to restart it after it died it would bang and knock and make all kinds of noise. I thought I blew the motor. When it does start though it purrs like a kitten. Last night drove it almost home, died a block away. went out this morning and it started right up. Clearly this is a heat issue. What would cause it to die when hot? temp needle doesnt go past the n and the temp sensor is new. I have read elsewhere that maybe the fuel pressure regulator, but it running so perfectly when it runs seems like that isnt the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Terry Barnes
New User
Originally Posted by Longbody89
Wondering if this has been resolved. I have searched the google for weeks on this and nothing. So far changed the temp sensor, icm, fuel filter. I think I jacked up the timing on the icm change, but it ran after that. Misfire the first time then changed the fuel filter and gave it a shot (not that that would fix a misfire) lol it did, fired up like a brand new car and ran perfect. Tried a test drive and made it about half a block before it tarted sputtering and finally died in my driveway. When I turn the key to the on position a few time before cranking it will sputter then nothing. Thought maybe it was a clogged filter again and replaced one more time with no luck clearly not the issue. Compared to todays vehicles this thing is as smart as a lawnmower and yet we are all stumped. HELP!
wont start up after setting time

Old 03-08-2019, 08:53 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I cured the crank no start condition in my '95 Bronco 5.8L by religiously following this diagnostic tree:

https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/fo...t-a-no-start-1