1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Various Interior/ Wrapping up my Truck Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:05 AM
superman64011
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Various Interior/ Wrapping up my Truck Questions

Everyone,

Pretty close to finishing up my 1955 F-100. At the Paint Shop getting painted, which is taking forever by the way. Im no painter but I knew it woulda been a while before I ACTUALLY got around to painting so I bought some cheap paint to shoot to combat rust. Bad idea, they say the paint I shot was crap and it can cause probs for the new paint adhering to it, and sanding it off, it is "balling" up. Cost to take everything down is wayyyyy to much. Dang!!!!!!!!!! Anyway.

1. I need to do the interior. I have all the Panels from Rod Doors, headliners, etc....

Is tweeding very hard?
Is there diff grades of interior tweeds? Carpet for floor?
Where did you all buy yours at?
I assume most put your radio in your glove compartment?
Where did you all put your speakers?
Leaving my heater assem out and putting a Vintage Air or some type of AC later on. Any probs there?
Is this stuff easy to seam together?
Any other suggestions?
Battery compartment issues with Carpet?

I figured I would go black. On my doors I have the little grooves and door handle molded into the ABS, which might seem difficult. The kick panels, rear and headliner should be easy, Ha.

Bed Wood is about the last thing besides Interior.

That should be simple. Im an OK woodworker. Just need to get all the wood from a local Lumber Yard. Prob go with Red Oak. Not sure if Im gonna change out my Poly Tank I put in a long time ago for one of the mustang tanks you read on John Niolon's page. I like the idea of a metal tank instead of plastic. For around $200 its a simple and somewhat cheap upgrade.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon...ustangtank.htm

Thanks for all the responses, you all have a Merry Christmas.

Patrick

Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Midfifty sells interior kits and have samples they will send out to you. Maybe give them a call and discuss matters with them as I'm sure those girls will be able to help, they know thier effies.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:47 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
There are two types of upholstery fabrics (even in the same fabric/pattern) stabilized and stretchable (don't know the official designation for each type) which has to do with the backing/backing treatment. stabilized is treated to resist stretching and is best used for seat surfaces so you don't get sagging and wrinkles. stretchable is just that, and is what you want for covering molded panels. Stabilized is stiff and will not conform to compound curves or fold over edges very easily. It's fairly easy to tell the difference, grab the fabric on the diagonal and pull, stabilized will not change shape.
When covering molded panels with stretchable fabric, cut it generously oversized and start in the center of the panel or the most detailed part of the design. apply spray adhesive to a small area and gently tuck the fabric into the design without stretching. A bondo spreader with rounded edges/corners and/or a window screen roller are usefull tools to coax the fabric into narrow recesses. Don't worry about all the wrinkles and puckers in the surrounding unattached fabric at this time, just don't put in any folds or overlaps. work your way outwards in a spiral pattern, gluing and covering small sections at a time, pulling the fabric gently just enough to smooth it over the high areas and tucking without streching into the recesses. DO NOT try to cover a large area and then stretch/push the material down into the recesses! If you do, it will eventually pop out and destroy the design. By the time you get to the panel edges there should not be any significant tension on the fabric. glue and roll the fabric over onto the back of the panel. if you need to make darts to go around corners, clip them off with a sharp pair of large scissors stopping at least 1/8" from the edge and press down the cut edges into the glue.
If you want to be sure to keep the material from fraying along the cut edges, run a narrow bead of liquid mending adhesive (available in any fabric store) along the cut edges and press into the fabric to lock the threads.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:10 AM
superman64011
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

Something like this AX?

Interior Prestige Black

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...em=#vi-content

Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
that material says it is for seating surfaces and has a vinyl backing which means it is stabilized, not what you want for covering sculpted panels. They talk about a product called "interlude" tweed for covering sculpted shapes, but doing a search I didn't find it listed? I'd contact the supplier for their recommendations.