Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Play in steering (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 PM
ccopes75
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Play in steering (solved)

Well I have seen in the forum that 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering is pretty common with Ford trucks of all ages while trying to solve my own steering problem. I discovered what was wrong with mine and wanted to post it here as it very well may be many of your trucks problem as well. I tracked my problem to the intermediate shaft between the firewall and steering box. I thought at first that it had wallowed out where the slip joint was but I was wrong. It turns out that when you pull the two pieces apart there is a small flat piece of metal about 1.5 inches long that bows out to provide a snug fit. Its hard to describe and I wish I had taken a picture but I believe if you get that far you will see what I mean. In my case this piece had broken and allowed the play In the steering wheel. I searched for a replacement with no luck but I was able to easily fabricate my own from a feeler gauge of the same thickness and was up and running within an hour. I can't help but feel that this part failure is very common and if you have steering play be sure to check that shaft before replacing the steering box like I did. I hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:56 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I'm sure this will help someone. I need to look at mine and see what it looks like. I have a little play in the steering wheel.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
john griffin
Senior User
I too have some play in my steering wheel, trying to save some money I bought a rebuilt one and it is as bad as the one with 300,000 miles on it, some rebuilt rite, I have tried adjusting it but no help.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
I had teh same problem on my plow truck... Its its last year of life. Motor problems, Trans problems, and more rust then metal... I just welded mine in place. It will help hold up the cab! LOL J/K But it is welded. Just gave it like 4 tacks to lock it in place.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:25 PM
fishforlife2007
Elder User
i had always heard that it was wear in the worm gear in the steering box...hmmm this might be a cheaper alternative for sure...i know what i will be checking soon!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
john griffin
Senior User
Just don't buy a rebuilt one, I don't think they do anything but change seals, mine still has about 2" or 3" of slack, even tho they are guaranteed, it"s a all day job to change.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Does someone have a picture of what this part looks like?

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM
fishforlife2007
Elder User
Originally Posted by john griffin
Just don't buy a rebuilt one, I don't think they do anything but change seals, mine still has about 2" or 3" of slack, even tho they are guaranteed, it"s a all day job to change.
hardly an all day job. at my shop i have done a couple of these, and i can usually have the old one out and the truck back on the road within 2 hours time.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 PM
ccopes75
Freshman User
Well I changed my steering box before I stumbled onto the real problem and while it only took 3 hours or so to change it ended up being a waste of money. It is easy to check for the problem I fixed though. I had my wife turn the wheel with the truck off while looking at the rag joint. It hardly moved so I looked a little higher and saw the play where the two pieces of the steering shaft came together. If you find play there I guarantee you have the same problem since that is the only thing in there to break. An old feeler gauge and a half hour is all that it takes.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 PM
imabaka
Senior User
Thanks for this info. My box has just a tiny bit of play. I can adjust it out but when I grab the intermediate shaft and try to move it I have a surprising bit of play there. When its not freezing out I'm gonna have to pull it apart.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 641 Posts
Xlnt thread. I'll check mine while I still have the engine out.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:45 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ohio Ford Farm
I had teh same problem on my plow truck... Its its last year of life. Motor problems, Trans problems, and more rust then metal... I just welded mine in place. It will help hold up the cab! LOL J/K But it is welded. Just gave it like 4 tacks to lock it in place.
Yes, and when you go about changing the steering box you will cuss at those welds like it's going out of style - I just went through this last week, I did not weld the shafts together but like two years ago I had slipped some aluminum shims in there to take out the slop between the two pieces (cause by a broken flat spring, just like what the OP found in his truck) - well the aluminum and the steel corroded to each other, and as a result the steering shaft would not collapse like it should once disconnected from the steering box. No big deal while you're taking things apart, but while putting the new box in you have to line it up with the steering shaft and force it in its rag joint while at the same time trying to line the box with the bolt holes on the frame - this is majorly annoying as the steering shaft wiggles all over the place, the steering box is pretty darn heavy, and there is almost no visibility as to what position the rag joint is in...

Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 AM
MONSTERPRE
New User
Great knowledge! I've been dealing with play in my steering for a couple years now. A new box helped, but didn't eliminate it. Custom Steering made a MAJOR diff, but i've got about 1.5" that I'd like to eliminate THANKS!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
Yes, and when you go about changing the steering box you will cuss at those welds like it's going out of style - I just went through this last week, I did not weld the shafts together but like two years ago I had slipped some aluminum shims in there to take out the slop between the two pieces (cause by a broken flat spring, just like what the OP found in his truck) - well the aluminum and the steel corroded to each other, and as a result the steering shaft would not collapse like it should once disconnected from the steering box. No big deal while you're taking things apart, but while putting the new box in you have to line it up with the steering shaft and force it in its rag joint while at the same time trying to line the box with the bolt holes on the frame - this is majorly annoying as the steering shaft wiggles all over the place, the steering box is pretty darn heavy, and there is almost no visibility as to what position the rag joint is in...
If I plan on letting the truck die come spring why would I change the gear box? As I said its the last year of life for the old rotted out truck. To be honest if I had to do such a thing I would just get another set of rods from junk yard and take the cutting torch to the welded set I have now.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Eicca
Junior User
Old thread, I know, but I'm chasing a similar issue and and wondering if anyone got pics.

Quick Reply: Play in steering (solved)