1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 F-350 20" OEM wheel cracked !?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Van Diemen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, Sure was scary with a 14,000# 5th wheel trailer in tow. Never hit the brakes, countered the intermitant pull, and coasted to the shoulder.

The tires are replaced every 30-35k miles which is about once a year. Tires are the OEM Goodyear AT's. I run 75# rear and 65# front as per the door sticker.

When these tires are spent, I'm going with 18" wheels and tires for sure.

Here's a pic of the recent crack. I'm wondering if the crack finally made it past the bead and was slowly leaking air. When it got low enough, the tire heated up and blew. I checked the tires an hour before the blow out and there was no pull or anything unusual right belfor it blew.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Van Diemen
Senior User
ANOTHER cracked 20" OEM Ford wheel today!!!!! That makes 3 of the original 4 wheels have cracked!! After the second I was ready to contact Ford and switch to 18" wheels. Got lazy, found another used OEM wheel ($300), mounted a new tire ($300), and just moved on.

Now there is NO question! This is a safety issue as far as I'm concerned and I'm not pushing my luck any longer.

Today coming off an Exit ramp I notice I had a left rear flat. Pull over and find yet another wheel has lost air from a wheel crack. First wheel was right front, second was left front, today was left rear.

This is rediculous and I have lost all confidence in these Ford 20" wheels.
The first wheel cracked exactly as this wheel (spoke to spoke) but did not loose air. The second wheel cracked from the edge to just under the bead and lost presure. See previous posts.

I have only found one other instance of these exact wheels cracking. My feeling is they are too weak for the weight of the truck/motor/GVWR/ etc. or there may have been a bad batch?

I heard there was an issue and a long delay with the release of the F-150 HD with 20" wheels years ago because they couldn't find a 20" wheel/tire combo strong enough. The tires did not have enough sidewall to cusion the wheel? A Superduty is alot heavier up front so maybe a similar issue here?

I have always replaced the tires with the original OEM E rated Goodyear AT/S's, do not offroad, hit curbs, etc.

I have the last two cracked wheels but only pictures of the first wheel.

I'll be calling Ford tomorrow and expecting the run around. Do I have a legit complaint here and what is the best way to approach this?

Last edited by Van Diemen; 08-01-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: picture
Old 08-01-2012, 10:05 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow !! That sucks, but once again im glad you didn't get hurt because of losing a rim.

Yes i would throw a Total bitch with ford over this..

Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
damn! 3 is crazy, i agree with contacting ford.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
I'll stick with my plastic chrome coated steel wheels. They may be sort of ugly, but they do not crack.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Ford owes you 4 new wheels, having one crack is unacceptable, let alone 3.(link them to this thread) The way Ford handles out of warrenty stuff I figure they will nicely tell you to screw off. I'd go down to 17" wheels, I like more tire.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Van Diemen
Senior User
I called FoMoCo explaining the 3 cracked wheels and was told there is no recall or warranty, so there is nothing they will do. I feel these 20" Aluminum wheels were underspeced for the truck and/or defective. I have recently found many of these 20" wheels have cracked searching the net. A guy had 2 listed on CL locally and said the other 2 had cracked the same as the one I pictured. My mechanic has seen one also.
There are 5-6 complaints on the NHTSA website regarding these 20" wheels cracking for no apparent reason. Some state Ford was contacted and did nothing. I added my complaint.
Recalls & Defects | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

I guess it's not enough for a recall or Ford to even give a damn. Someone might have to die first?

I'm done with these OEM wheels and not a big Ford fan at the moment.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go down to 17s. Mine are working excellent at 150k. After i first heard about 20s cracking I started paying attention to mine.

I'm sorry about your luck with the wheels and Ford. Don't let a wheel issue ruin a great truck!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Van Diemen
Senior User
Still like the truck. I feel Ford dropped the ball specing these wheels, and IH dropped the ball on the 6.0 EGR system. 2 biggest problems I've had worth mentioning. Not a single problem, not even a CEL through 100,000 miles......since then, 3 wheels, 2 EGR/Oil coolers (bulletproof now installed)
5 EGR valves, and Turbo rebuild.

Superduty was a daily driver from 2006 through 9 months ago. Got a new Transit Connect work van in Nov. and now the Superduty sits and waits to tow a 14k# Toy Hauler when needed.

Searching for new wheels I came across these 19.5 Vision Heavy Hauler's for SRW 1 tons. Rated to 4500# With 14 or 16 ply G rated 225 or 245/70-19.5 tires, I hope my wheel/tire troubles will be in the past.

Vision Wheel

Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vision makes good stuff. Your problems should disappear now

Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 AM
frenchytitus
New User
Smile crack rim

hey buddy
have the same problem,had the exacted thing happen to me..
saw it the same way...
lookin to purshase 20' rims to replaced mine broken one..
i have a set with less than 3 000 on them,a set of 18' rims,tires off of 2012 f-350
im lookin for a trade to trade kind of deal,if you know what i mean..
if you are insterest in tradingor something,let me know
thanks kenny

Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 AM
frenchytitus
New User
if any body has 20'rims for an 2006 f-250/350 lett me know for a trade need 1 will take 2 thanks

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Van Diemen
Senior User
I replaced the 20" OEM wheels with 19.5" Vision Heavy Hauler wheels and G rated Coopers. Cracked wheel problems should be in the past. I wouldn't run those fragile OEM 20's on anything. There IS a problem with them on these trucks....at least the ones that came new on my F-350. Maybe a bad batch?

3 of my original 4 wheels cracked, and I've heard of countless others.
My hunch is they can not handle the speced 70-75# presure and the slightest impact with a pothole, etc. stresses the aluminum and starts the failure. In time the tire pressure helps it along. All 3 that failed were when we were just cruising down the interstate @ 65mph and not from hitting anything then.

I sold the 3 remaining wheels to a guy locally who cracked 2 of his. I still have one of the cracked wheels. I don't know why he still wants to push his luck with those wheels but I'm glad to see them gone. JUNK!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 AM
ford4lifer
Senior User
I just last week found a 1.25" crack in one of my rear rims, not in the lip but between the spokes and it is leaking air. I have 250k on this truck and these rims, I pull alot of boats and haul alot of weight in the rear of this truck. Was looking at aftermarket 20" rims, just had new set of tires put on last month and don't want to have to buy another set to change rim sizes. What is anyones thought on aftermarket ones, brands, etc. Was looking at XD's, spoke with there customer service and they said they would replace them if one cracked no questions asked as long as it wasn't from abuse such as hitting a curb.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4lifer
I just last week found a 1.25" crack in one of my rear rims, not in the lip but between the spokes and it is leaking air. I have 250k on this truck and these rims, I pull alot of boats and haul alot of weight in the rear of this truck. Was looking at aftermarket 20" rims, just had new set of tires put on last month and don't want to have to buy another set to change rim sizes. What is anyones thought on aftermarket ones, brands, etc. Was looking at XD's, spoke with there customer service and they said they would replace them if one cracked no questions asked as long as it wasn't from abuse such as hitting a curb.

for a option...i went with the new dick cepek wheels this summer. only had them about 5k miles but they seem well built. really liked the looks.

Dick Cepek Tires & Wheels

Quick Reply: '06 F-350 20" OEM wheel cracked !?!?!