Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Pics of possible 6.9 replacement a,b,c,d

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
A 7.3, less desirable. Much rather have a 6.9, especially an 87.
I saw lots of 7.3's when I was looking around online for the 6.9. The cavitation issue decided it for me. Plus I read what happened to Dave S and how he eventually went back to the 6.9. Of course his situation was different as he was dealing with rebuilds.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:12 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Scratcher
I saw lots of 7.3's when I was looking around online for the 6.9. The cavitation issue decided it for me. Plus I read what happened to Dave S and how he eventually went back to the 6.9. Of course his situation was different as he was dealing with rebuilds.
Correct. I won't buy a used unknown history 7.3, ever.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Looks like I might be closing on this engine then. I need to sleep now. Better pop an Ambien methinks or I won't be getting a lot of sleep.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
not here. everyone wants the 7.3l. i know the advantages of the 6.9l but most people who just get into diesels want c.i.'s without knowing the difference between the engines.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Rockers and glow plugs updated for 87.

86 and back were the original 6.9 rockers and old style spade glow plug system.

Pictures in post 7 show the ZD 9 glow plug connectors, new style system.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Rockers and glow plugs updated for 87.

86 and back were the original 6.9 rockers and old style spade glow plug system.

Pictures in post 7 show the ZD 9 glow plug connectors, new style system.
Dave said it.................. that settles it.

I know it's a gamble because I haven't seen it running. The seller says she did see it running before it was pulled and claims it ran good at 190,000. (of course she would say that, she wants to sell it) Its been sitting for 5 months. Shes asking $350. Looks rough but it is 23 years old after all. I suppose I could go for a rebuild on it but time and money are in short supply. If I did buy it I would replace the rocker gaskets, pumps etc.
Are my IP and injectors compatible with it?

I will clean it up and probably paint it but that's purely cosmetic I know and the psychological effect will probably make me feel good about it but is there anything within reasonable cost that I should consider doing while its pulled short of a complete rebuild?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

You will be able to swap any of the parts except the glow plugs.

You can even swap the glow plugs if you swap the entire system or go manual control glow plugs.

While the engine is out, front and rear main seals, any gasket that looks like it is leaking would be a good idea.

I would pull the glow plugs and at least bar the engine over before I paid for it.

Since it also ran a turbo, it might be a good idea to block the lower radiator hose, heater hoses and fill it up with water.
If the water level drops, you may need to do head gaskets.

It would take a little work to get it strapped down, fuel, coolant and power to the engine so it could be fired, but it could give you an idea of what needs done and if it will run for sure.

And who knows, the turbo, down pipe and air box may be at the sellers place somewhere, which could be had for a few dollars more.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Scratcher
More Turbo

You will be able to swap any of the parts except the glow plugs.You can even swap the glow plugs if you swap the entire system or go manual control glow plugs.
I'm already on a manual system. I prefer that system and since I just bought a new set of Beru Spades that will save me $80

While the engine is out, front and rear main seals, any gasket that looks like it is leaking would be a good idea.
Yeah I thought of that too. Prevention is better than cure.

I would pull the glow plugs and at least bar the engine over before I paid for it.
What would that tell me apart from the obvious, ie; that its not seized or hydro-locked?

Since it also ran a turbo, it might be a good idea to block the lower radiator hose, heater hoses and fill it up with water.
If the water level drops, you may need to do head gaskets.
Never thought of that.

It would take a little work to get it strapped down, fuel, coolant and power to the engine so it could be fired, but it could give you an idea of what needs done and if it will run for sure.
Not sure that's gonna happen though it would be nice to see it run.

And who knows, the turbo, down pipe and air box may be at the sellers place somewhere, which could be had for a few dollars more.
The original owner took the turbo before the present seller got possession.
Your worth your weight in gold Dave. Thanks for taking the time on this.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:53 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scratcher
What would that tell me apart from the obvious, ie; that its not seized or hydro-locked?
Well that's just what Dave is suggesting that you check - you most certainly do not want an engine that does not turn over.

Also, while you have everything out, replace the o-rings and gaskets on the oil cooler!!! This is probably the single thing that can ruin your entire week in a matter of minutes, so launch a preemptive strike against it.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM
snaponprofile
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
You're talking about bringing it up to the full banks setup. As I said, I have seen turbo kits for sale that went for like $500-600 cause they were missing the up pipes.
I don't understand, what on my list isn't necessary to make that specific turbo work? You would need everything on that list to make a Banks turbo properly work (with an exception of the gauges if you want to risk melting a piston or two). I understand about the used turbo thing but there are commonly more than 1 pieces missing depending on the intelligence of the seller. They can get quite expensive (especially with shipping) at times, I'm just saying.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

First picture in group two has the Banks CDR relocate and hose.

Never got a shot of the oil lines and oil pressure sensor or the oil return lines, so that is questionable.

Turbo mount, not sure again.

Turbo, intake pressure chamber, air cleaner and down pipe, need those for sure.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:47 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snaponprofile
I don't understand, what on my list isn't necessary to make that specific turbo work? You would need everything on that list to make a Banks turbo properly work (with an exception of the gauges if you want to risk melting a piston or two). I understand about the used turbo thing but there are commonly more than 1 pieces missing depending on the intelligence of the seller. They can get quite expensive (especially with shipping) at times, I'm just saying.
Well the intake you can fab on your own (not the pressure chamber obviously), same with the exhaust after the downpipe. CDR can be replaced with an RDT plumbed into the exhaust too. Stuff like that, but you are right that there are many specific parts that are needed and there is no way around it... And yea, ultimately we're all at the mercy of the seller's knowledge of IDI turbo systems when it comes to buying a used one.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

It would take a little work to get it strapped down, fuel, coolant and power to the engine so it could be fired, but it could give you an idea of what needs done and if it will run for sure
It would need a flywheel too................ unless there's some other way of cranking it without one.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
we're all at the mercy of the seller's knowledge of IDI turbo systems when it comes to buying a used one.
This is raising a red flag for me.Or maybe I'm not understanding what your saying?

Are you saying that we are at the mercy of the sellers knowledge when buying a used motor? Or that we are at their mercy when buying a used turbo?

If its the first then the PO,s lack of knowledge may have run it consistently over boost and damaged the piston crows and head gear. Turning it over wont tell me that story. I wont be able to start it till I get the flywheel on it and when I get to that stage I will already have bought it so it will be a bit late down the line to discover the horrible truth that its had its guts ripped up due to higher turbo boosts.

I have no knowledge of turbos so I am at the mercy of you guys superior knowledge.

If its the second then that doesn't concern me cause I wont be running a turbo since its max hauling weight will probably never exceed 2000lbs in the bed. ( I drive for economy most of the time)

The seller informed me that the motor was surplus to requirements because the truck was bought for its Tranny. She said she didn't think the turbo was on it for very long but the condition of the pipes suggests otherwise to me, unless they get that way pretty quickly? Its been sitting for 5 months so I suppose surface rust is going to form as its been sitting in a barn.

The seller also claims she drove the truck for ten miles and "it ran great and strong with no smoke" Apparently the PO wanted the turbo back after the motor was pulled so I'm asking myself "Why didn't he take the pipes too?" Maybe I'm being overly cautious but short of actually pulling the heads and looking at the cylinders and piston crowns and valves I'm pretty much in the dark.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
At the age and unknown history the engine's heads would be removed, inspected, and installed with studs and new head gaskets.
Also for $300 it's not that big of a gamble in this day in age. You could sell the heads or crank and likely make money or scrap it and get back over $100.
If your looking for a more of a guarantee your going to pay a lot more than $300, more like 1200 in these parts.

Quick Reply: Pics of possible 6.9 replacement a,b,c,d