1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

99 f150 caliper prob

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM
>>OZZY<<
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f150 caliper prob

Hi all, this is my first time here at the community, so I am still figuring out how the search function works....Could some one link me to a guide for changing calipers on a F150..It would be appreciated. thanks

The problem is the the drver side brakes are not working, it has a hard time releasing the parking brake, and when brakeing the car is pulling to the right.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Dave G.
Elder User
It seems you have two issues going. Long time since the last brake job ? I believe you have a sticking piston in the right front caliper. That will drag and cause the truck to pull to the right. I suggest just changing the two front calipers, although, they could be rebuilt. Compressing the caliper with a clamp ( carefully/slowly) will usually free up the caliper enough to remove it (get the replacements first though). As quickly as you can, remove the two retaining bolts on the back side of the caliper, remove the flex line. Have the rebuilt caliper ready, with the pads, hardware, and guide rails lightly greased, within easy reach. The quicker you can change them, the less air will be filling the line. Caution here though, something caused the piston to stick. Might be extremely thin pad linings caused too much travel in the pistons, and they are stuck in a corroded part of the bore, or, you may have moisture in the brake system, and that ruined the caliper bore. When both sides are done, bleed the fronts until nothing but clean fluid is removed.

The emergency brake not releasing is a rear brake problem (usually). If you have rear disc brakes, remove the two rear calipers, but not the flex lines. Pull the two rotors to expose the e-brake assembly. The parts here are quite prone to rusting off/breaking. When anything does go bad, the e-brake will not release, but continue to drag until the shoes are gone. Easy to fix with a small parts kit. Check the rear brake linings also, and the rotors, as long as it's all apart anyway.

Dave

Old 12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
>>OZZY<<
New User
Originally Posted by Dave G.
It seems you have two issues going. Long time since the last brake job ? I believe you have a sticking piston in the right front caliper. That will drag and cause the truck to pull to the right. I suggest just changing the two front calipers, although, they could be rebuilt. Compressing the caliper with a clamp ( carefully/slowly) will usually free up the caliper enough to remove it (get the replacements first though). As quickly as you can, remove the two retaining bolts on the back side of the caliper, remove the flex line. Have the rebuilt caliper ready, with the pads, hardware, and guide rails lightly greased, within easy reach. The quicker you can change them, the less air will be filling the line. Caution here though, something caused the piston to stick. Might be extremely thin pad linings caused too much travel in the pistons, and they are stuck in a corroded part of the bore, or, you may have moisture in the brake system, and that ruined the caliper bore. When both sides are done, bleed the fronts until nothing but clean fluid is removed.

The emergency brake not releasing is a rear brake problem (usually). If you have rear disc brakes, remove the two rear calipers, but not the flex lines. Pull the two rotors to expose the e-brake assembly. The parts here are quite prone to rusting off/breaking. When anything does go bad, the e-brake will not release, but continue to drag until the shoes are gone. Easy to fix with a small parts kit. Check the rear brake linings also, and the rotors, as long as it's all apart anyway.

Dave
HMMM...interesting... I had the truck in the air a week ago, which is when I first noticed the problem...the parking brake released the other tires, just not the front left side. I had a brake job about a year ago.

It releases still after a few tugs on the release latch. But that soloution is not long for this world..lol
The truck only pulls to the right when brakeing..

I will check out what you suggested and post results when done..thanks a bunch

Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 PM
moto57
Junior User
Originally Posted by >>OZZY<<
HMMM...interesting... I had the truck in the air a week ago, which is when I first noticed the problem...the parking brake released the other tires, just not the front left side. I had a brake job about a year ago.

It releases still after a few tugs on the release latch. But that soloution is not long for this world..lol
The truck only pulls to the right when brakeing..

I will check out what you suggested and post results when done..thanks a bunch
Your truck pulls to the right when braking, that means your front left brake is not working.
Could be a few problems,
1. My money is that caliper bracket is heavy corroded due to rust, not allowing the pads to float freely to contact the rotor when the caliper trys to push on it. Those pads should easlily drop in or out. If you need a screw driver to remove the pads/calipers you have a corrosion problem. Grease those slide pins(caliper bolts)
2. Front left rubber flex line has collaped internally not allowing the caliper to work(Does fluid Flow when bleeding? if so it's not the hose)
3. Front left caliper stuck,

Your Emergency brake ONLY operates the rear brakes.
When was the last rear brake job?
Was the Hardware replaced when the rear brake job was done?

Check the following on the rear.
1. follow your Emergency brake line from the front to each rear brake, is the outside protective sheathing swollen at any point of where it contacts a holding bracket? If it is, it's rusting internally and needs replaced.
2. where the em brake cable attaches inside the rear drum there is a small metal 2 piece lever that pulls the emergency pads against the drum, that usually is rusted and never removed and cleaned and greased during a brake job.

Hope this helps, or gets you in the right direction!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
>>OZZY<<
New User
Will do, thanks for the advice guys, I can say I haven't touched the rear brakes since I have owned it. I will be getting it up on stands tomorrow..I'll let ya know what I found. thanks again