1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

To warm up or not to warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
alloro
Received 4,253 Likes on 2,479 Posts
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002
hmmmmm....I wonder why Ford doesn't just put them in in the first place
Because the average driver doesn't do short drive cycles like the original poster. Running hotter plugs with longer drive cycles will prematurely wear the plugs and will also produce detonation/pre-ignition along with associated piston damage.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 AM
rvbuilder2002
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alloro
Running hotter plugs with longer drive cycles will prematurely wear the plugs and will also produce detonation/pre-ignition along with associated piston damage.
Ohh... I am glad you cleared that up, since the NGK document didn't mention long drive cycles being a factor.
So the OP can solve his warm-up problem with different plugs, but he will damage his engine if he ever decides to take it on a long trip?

Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002
but he will damage his engine if he ever decides to take it on a long trip?
Occasionally no, he can put 93 octane fuel in to counteract the detonation for those once in a while trips. But if his driving habits change to longer drive cycles, then he should definitely switch the plugs back to the OEM heat range.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
my expy stays outside...tonight its about -10 we dont plug it in. i dont know about you but i have a remote start on the truck so i never have to get into a cold truck. i refuse lol so this may be somthing to look into for colder weather.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,247 Likes on 820 Posts
It's all in the owner's manual. Ford recommends a very minimal warm up time on all gasoline engines.

I let mine run only until the high idle kicks down then she goes in drive and is driven very gingerly until she begins to warm up.

When you warm your engine, the transmission doesn't get the same benefit. So, you have a warm engine and you take off like a bat out of hell on a 10 degree morning and your turning over an ice cold transmission. That may not actually hurt the transmission but it kind of bothers me. So in my mind, if you start off with a cold engine and cold transmission, they both get to warm up together.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the concept of heat transfer just fine. All of the additional heat is not removed by the exhaust stroke, you're just making that up. The heat is generated during the power stroke allowing it to be mostly absorbed into the surrounding metal that makes up the cylinder walls, before the exhaust stroke even happens.
More funny stuff alloro So how much of the 10% temp increase is absorbed by the cylinder walls in the fraction of a second it spends in there? Funny how the exhaust temps remain near 1000*F and your coolant never gets anywhere near that. I certainly did not make it up, there is more heat energy released through the exhaust than any other outlet on an internal combustion engine.

Then again you've already gone on record as saying that hotter plugs don't produce additional heat by agreeing with rvbuilder2002 when he respectfully disagreed with me and said, "A hotter range plug will have little if any effect on warm up time of the overall engine." Yet now you're acknowledging that hotter plugs produce higher combustion chamber temperatures, but of course it makes no difference because all the heat is thrown out during the exhaust stroke. I doubt you realize just how ridiculous that sounds.
Of course it makes a difference, right up to the point where you burn up the motor. Is it going to make a difference in warm up times? No, just one reason why is because at idle there is very little fuel used and very little heat produced. Under load you will see increased combustion temps but you will not overheat the coolant because most of the heat, AGAIN, is transfered out via the exhaust.

If you don't think the bulk of the heat leaves through the exhaust try this little trick. Warm up your truck and with one hand grab a radiator hose, with the other grab an exhaust manifold, you tell me where the heat is.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Occasionally no, he can put 93 octane fuel in to counteract the detonation for those once in a while trips. But if his driving habits change to longer drive cycles, then he should definitely switch the plugs back to the OEM heat range.
This is what you would consider good advice? When you initially suggested this to the OP did you take the time to warn him of the damage that could occur?

Now you want to argue the merits of a hotter plug? Can you see out of the hole still, or is it starting to smell like Chinese food yet?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by tseekins
When you warm your engine, the transmission doesn't get the same benefit. So, you have a warm engine and you take off like a bat out of hell on a 10 degree morning and your turning over an ice cold transmission.
This is mostly true, but keep in mind that the fluid as it passes through the tranny cooler built into the radiator will absorb some of the heat from the coolant and transfer it back into the tranny. This will not warm up the tranny as fast as the engine warms up, but it helps some.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Big Greenie
If you don't think the bulk of the heat leaves through the exhaust try this little trick. Warm up your truck and with one hand grab a radiator hose, with the other grab an exhaust manifold, you tell me where the heat is.
Blah, blah, blah, nice try at twisting the facts. The reason the radiator hose isn't as hot as the exhaust is because there is a means in place to remove excess heat from the coolant (the radiator). Whereas the exhaust has nothing to remove the heat from it other than convection. Take your belt off the water pump and run the engine, then tell me how cool that radiator hose remains.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 AM
alloro
This is what you would consider good advice? When you initially suggested this to the OP did you take the time to warn him of the damage that could occur?
Yes I do consider saying, "the recommendation is usually to go to the next higher heat range of spark plug" to be good advice. I didn't tell him to run out and do it, I told him the usual recommended course of action. If he wanted to pursue it further he would've asked more questions, and at that point I would've given him the additional information.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Blah, blah, blah, nice try at twisting the facts. The reason the radiator hose isn't as hot as the exhaust is because there is a means in place to remove excess heat from the coolant (the radiator). Whereas the exhaust has nothing to remove the heat from it other than convection. Take your belt off the water pump and run the engine, then tell me how cool that radiator hose remains.
Are you arguing with me about whether or not the exhaust system expells more heat than the cooling system?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Yes I do consider saying, "the recommendation is usually to go to the next higher heat range of spark plug" to be good advice. I didn't tell him to run out and do it, I told him the usual recommended course of action. If he wanted to pursue it further he would've asked more questions, and at that point I would've given him the additional information.
That whole thing just makes me laugh. I considered parsing it but, my simple response is YAH, RIGHT

Old 12-17-2010, 09:37 AM
alloro
Are you arguing with me about whether or not the exhaust system expels more heat than the cooling system?
Not at all, I agree there is more heat going out of the exhaust over what is absorbed by the cooling system, but that isn't what this is all about. You claimed that all of the additional heat generated by running hotter plugs goes out the exhaust, and none of it caused the engine to warm up any faster.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 AM
alloro
my simple response is YAH, RIGHT
Of course it is, because that's all you've got!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alloro :-duel 1 Greenie

The rest of us

stop it already!

Quick Reply: To warm up or not to warm up?