Sponsored by: DP Tuner

One thing at a time

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 PM
wameyer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing at a time

OK, as you can see I am a new member I have owned my '99 F350 Dually since around July. I have been having some issues with it. After using the search I have narrowed down why it seems to be taking awhile to start. My brothers seems to start faster than mine but starts every time. Will check things tomorrow.

The real thing that has me puzzled it the rear end I cant find anything using the search. After the truck is nice and warm from driving say 25 miles or so when I go to back up or when I slow down or start a slow crawl I feel a grabbing in the rearend almost like a caliper is hanging up but the calipers look fine. I pulled the axles out so I could inspect the emergency brake shoes.

Any help would be appreciated, I can remove the axles and rotors again to check I will always double and triple check to get some great help. Thank you

Old 12-10-2010, 09:52 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as starting.. would suggest you switch to Rotella Syn 5w40 oil... Also, check the level of the HPOP by removing the inspection screw on top of the housing.. it should be about 3/4 of inch from the top..
A big Big welcome to the forum..

Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 PM
wameyer
Junior User
Im due for an oil change so I will look into do that and I was going to check the level at the HPOP.
Also doing some reading and like everything else I own I cant keep anything stock these mods like the air filter 6637 I believe what are the pros and cons, same goes with a bigger exhaust what are pros and cons of that I dont want to hurt my truck because it runs great right now well I can atleast get in and I know it shouldnt leave me stranded. I sure dont want to get too expensive on these not looking for big numbers thats what my Ducati and Aprilia.
Any recommendations and help are also appreciated.

Thanks again

Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM
jirwin
Senior User
Originally Posted by wameyer
Im due for an oil change so I will look into do that and I was going to check the level at the HPOP.
Also doing some reading and like everything else I own I cant keep anything stock these mods like the air filter 6637 I believe what are the pros and cons, same goes with a bigger exhaust what are pros and cons of that I dont want to hurt my truck because it runs great right now well I can atleast get in and I know it shouldnt leave me stranded. I sure dont want to get too expensive on these not looking for big numbers thats what my Ducati and Aprilia.
Any recommendations and help are also appreciated.

Thanks again
You should sell the truck right away, or get off this forum if you do not want to spend money on your truck. lol. I can already see the symptoms of PMS sneaking up on you. Welcome to FTE

Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Is the noise coming thte posi in the rear end. If so it mit need modifier in the gear oil. My dually would act like a locker at first. Going slow in a straight line shouldn't cause this. Keep us posted.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
wameyer
Junior User
it does it when ever its heated up I can be backing up in a straight line at a fairly slow speed(no more than 10mph) and you can feel it same goes for when I am coming off the line at a stop light. I dont think it coming from the posi. it feels as its grabbing on one side. This is all coming from the feel in the seat.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:34 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

lf the brakes are grabbing on one side, that side will be hotter. I'd recommend getting a laser thermometer and when you feel it doing it, pull over and check each side's brake area and see if you can narrow it down.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
it does it when ever its heated up I can be backing up in a straight line at a fairly slow speed(no more than 10mph) and you can feel it same goes for when I am coming off the line at a stop light. I dont think it coming from the posi. it feels as its grabbing on one side. This is all coming from the feel in the seat.
If you have taken everything apart at the brakes and found nothing wrong, how about one of the rear axle bearings?
I had a '91 F-250 that would make a serious knocking noise after coming to a stop, then going again.
The rear axle lube had broken down and it was like thin road tar.
Changed it out and all the knocking, etc cleared up.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM
wameyer
Junior User
Well sounds like some great ideas now time to go drive my truck. Darn. (sarcasm I love driving this thing

Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM
wameyer
Junior User
I will keep everyone informed about the rear end and what not but since its on my mind and christmas is around the corner I know I want to buy stuff I would like to know the advantages/ disadvantages or pros and cons to the NAPA air filter mod, a bigger exhaust and say a chip. Or should I just put the straight pipe on.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:52 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
welcome to fte. the first mod i would do is a good set of guages to monitor everything. the 6637 and 4" exhuast are great upgrades to do before installing a chip. everyone has thier personall preference but most will agree a custom chip is way better than an off the shelf. if you havent checked it out yet riff raff diesel is a great place to shop. the only other thing i have to add with you issue is to check your brake lines, any dings to the metal lines can cause temporary sticking and old brake hoses can swell and cause similiar problems. good luck and have fun with your truck.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 PM
wameyer
Junior User
I read somewhere though by doing the bigger exhaust with the airfilter you get turbo surge is this true.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:31 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read somewhere though by doing the bigger exhaust with the airfilter you get turbo surge is this true.
The only time I had a prob with surge was when I installed a chip and would run it on a hot tune. As far as exaust and intake when my truck was set to stock before I installed the ww I don't remember having any issues with surge.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:33 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only time I had a prob with surge was when I installed a chip and would run it on a hot tune. As far as exaust and intake when my truck was set to stock before I installed the ww I don't remember having any issues with surge.The only thing was I could hear the intake a little louder but no surge.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one else has said it so I will, have you checked your tire pressures. I have a F450 and it was making the same type of noises from the rear end. I found it was actually a inside dual was almost flat.