1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stainless/Rubber Runner Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Steves55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stainless/Rubber Runner Kits

Well I think Santa will be giving me a Custom Runner Kit from Mid-Fifties. These are the stainless strips with rubber insert that are fastened on the ribs of the running boards. Has anyone installed these on their rigs? I saw a couple of trucks at a local cruise-in that had them and they really look sharp. Although the kits have a gizzilion small sheet metal screws to secure them, I am thinking about using 3M 2-way emblem tape. After the holidays, I will post a picture of them installed (hopefully along with my new spotlight) as well. Steve

Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think a couple guys here have those installed - but I didn't save the pictures - made me feel guilty about not getting my own done.

WOW, Spotlights and now Stainless Running Board Kit from Santa!

You must have been a VERY good boy this year!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I originally had aluminum strips with rubber inserts on my truck. I had a little trouble with the rubber shrinking/pulling back from the ends. It was probably my fault for cutting them too short to begin with but it didn't show up until later.

I ended up replacing them with the all stainless ones that don't use any inserts. They are very expensive but extremely well made. again the are held on by many machine screws that you do have to drill your boards for.

There are pictures in my gallery if you are interested.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Steves55
Senior User
I hear what you are saying-the instructions warn about the rubber shrinking in warm temps. With regards to cutting the alluminum strips....what type of cutter did you use to ensure a reasonably straight cut? I may have to take them to shop to have this done.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM
e william
Elder User
Hi all, Made my own brightwork from Lowe's aluminum stock (1/8 x 3/4" x 8').
wetsand then compund buffed and keep clean and shiney with Adams polish. Thinking of Zoops seal later. Mounted with aluminum rivits and ss washer under for clearance and drying any water underneath.
Also made the piece that runs horizontal under the cab at seal
later, Ed