6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Date with the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Date with the Dyno

I just scheduled a date with the Dyno for Monday at 1:30; the guy said 3 pulls for $75. This is new to me and I don't know if that’s a descent price or not.<O</O
<O</O

I have never run a vehicle on the Dyno and don't want to go in there breaking some sort of etiquette that I had no idea existed. So is there any sort of prep work I should do over the weekend or unwritten rules to follow when I go in there?<O</O
<O</O

I was going to do a run on each of my tunes; Street, Extreme Street, and Extreme Race. Would y'all advise against that? Should I keep all three runs with the same tune?<O</O

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hubler13f
I just scheduled a date with the Dyno for Monday at 1:30; the guy said 3 pulls for $75. This is new to me and I don't know if that’s a descent price or not.<O</O
<O</O

I have never run a vehicle on the Dyno and don't want to go in there breaking some sort of etiquette that I had no idea existed. So is there any sort of prep work I should do over the weekend or unwritten rules to follow when I go in there?<O</O
<O</O

I was going to do a run on each of my tunes; Street, Extreme Street, and Extreme Race. Would y'all advise against that? Should I keep all three runs with the same tune?<O</O
thats the standard price but you really need to get a dyno tune that locks the truck in 5th gear which is 1:1/direct drive to get accurate results. my truck is a dyno hoe--lol

Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
thats the standard price but you really need to get a dyno tune that locks the truck in 5th gear which is 1:1/direct drive to get accurate results. my truck is a dyno hoe--lol
Thanks, I'll try to get one by the end of the week. Glad I got on here to ask because cause I never even heard of a Dyno tune before. Whats the difference? Is it just a regular tune that runs the transmission up through the gears before locking in 5th?

EDIT: I found this place in Deridder, LA which is like 15 minutes away from base. I never knew it was there, apparently this guy is an SCT dealer and writes custom tunes too. I'll probably hold off from his custom tunes til I see the results from someone else with a 6.0 running them.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:04 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Thanks, I'll try to get one by the end of the week. Glad I got on here to ask because cause I never even heard of a Dyno tune before. Whats the difference? Is it just a regular tune that runs the transmission up through the gears before locking in 5th?

EDIT: I found this place in Deridder, LA which is like 15 minutes away from base. I never knew it was there, apparently this guy is an SCT dealer and writes custom tunes too. I'll probably hold off from his custom tunes til I see the results from someone else with a 6.0 running them.
IIRC it might run through the gears one time but after that it's locked. It's like electronically selecting a gear with your shifter that you can't get to manually. Like when you start off in "3" it's always in "3", but this program selects 5 and IIRC locks the converter.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Another question, the place I am going to get the truck tested has a Mustang dyno. I keep finding that this will give a HP reading considerably less than the Dyno Jets, almost 10% less.

For those of you who have had yours tested is this true. Tim your trucks a Dyno Ho, has it been on both types? Was there a significant difference?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:03 PM
_Me2_
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another question, the place I am going to get the truck tested has a Mustang dyno. I keep finding that this will give a HP reading considerably less than the Dyno Jets, almost 10% less.

For those of you who have had yours tested is this true.
That is true.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

David Dunbar (one of the most respected Diesel Dyno's in the southeast) and I had this conversation and honestly it's so subjective I just don't know. He claims NO. Others claim yes. Some say eddy current, blah blah blah. They had different brands of dyno's all set up in the same place and under the same conditions there was virtually no difference. It's a great tuning tool and good stuff "around the campfire".

We've been on 3 different dyno's but mostly on Dunbar's Dynojet. I'm not sure we've been on a Mustang. It will get you close enough though.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the torque shift is a 6 speed. normal gear pattern is 1,2,3,5,6. so with out a custom tune you will get a inaccurate reading since the truck will go into 6th. having the tc locked and stay in 5th will require a tune.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Just got done with the dino. Wow what a humbling, eye opening and horrifying experience. Humbling because with my extreme street tune my truck is only pushing 354hp to the wheels. Eye opening because I realize that 500 horsepower is a little out of reach right now. And horrifying because I never want to hear my truck scream like that again. I think that the owner was getting a little frustrated with me at first because I was letting off when I started getting nervous. I'll post my sheets when I get home.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds low. With tunes and a tuned ficm I would have thought you would have broken 400 at least. Did you use a dyno tune after all?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

LMAO--put a new vertical crease in the drivers seat, HUH?????

Yeah....that sounds low to me also, but it is difficult without a dyno tune.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
That sounds low. With tunes and a tuned ficm I would have thought you would have broken 400 at least. Did you use a dyno tune after all?

Those numbers may not be corrected.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by High Binder
Those numbers may not be corrected.
Well......in all fairness to the tune it's NOT an all out race tune either, it's a driving tune. Eric has several levels above that. Those are still pretty good numbers for a daily driver and a LOT better than stock.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Well......in all fairness to the tune it's NOT an all out race tune either, it's a driving tune. Eric has several levels above that. Those are still pretty good numbers for a daily driver and a LOT better than stock.

I was referring to corrected horsepower. As in the dyno shop may not have given him corrected numbers, they may just have given him raw numbers which could be a significant difference.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by High Binder
I was referring to corrected horsepower. As in the dyno shop may not have given him corrected numbers, they may just have given him raw numbers which could be a significant difference.
True that. He's going to post the graphs later and they will probably say. Should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Date with the Dyno