1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got sanded by an 8.1L Chebby. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 09:08 PM
rabidsnowmobiler
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I got sanded by an 8.1L Chebby. Help!

My buddy purchased a 2002 Silverado HD shortly after I got my Super Duty. It is a Crew Cab 4X4, 3.73ls rear, and 8.1L V8 with the Allison auto tranny. It is bone stock. The details on my truck are listed in my sig. I know that 8.1L is a little stronger than a stock V-10, but I figure with the intake, exhaust, and microtuner mods, we should be putting out very similar numbers.

Well, yesterday we lined them up. Both trucks were unloaded and neither of us were towing anything. We took two runs, and both times I jumped out a truck length off the line and held it to about 60mph, then he just blew my doors off. It wasn't even close. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. And being the only Ford owner out of my buddies, I took a lot of abuse because of it, and went away with my tail between my legs.

Has anyone put their Super Duty up against an 8.1? Should I be concerned about the perfomance of my truck? It runs great and until now has never let me down. I still love Ford trucks and I would never trade my Super Duty for a Chebby, but I guess I just got knocked down a notch or two yesterday.

Oh, and before I start getting flamed, this run occured on a wide open rural road, and the only lives in danger were the (2) involved the the race.

Old 03-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru

Let's see...8.1 vs. 6.8 and you beat him 0-60 by a truck length? I'd say that is a MAJOR victory.
Just tell him you backed off so you wouldn't get a ticket

Racing a bowtie 6.0 would be more "equal" than an 8.1
You need to learn to pick a "fair fight" next time. Actually his truck is probably lighter than yours to boot. I think those Chebbies are made out of paper mache'

Old 03-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Ghostrider304
Senior User

I think those Chebbies are made out of paper mache' [/B][/QUOTE]

HEHE

Old 03-03-2003, 12:41 AM
metalbender
Junior User

there would be no question then.............................................. give up the girly gasser

Old 03-03-2003, 12:50 AM
jamie m
Freshman User

Originally posted by Outpost22
I think those Chebbies are made out of paper mache' [/B]
its plastic, i tryed to stick a magnet to my buddies and it didn't work

Old 03-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by metalbender
there would be no question then.............................................. give up the girly gasser

What's your point besides wasting bandwith???

Old 03-03-2003, 08:41 AM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeti, I think he's jealous because his stock (remember he recommends following the owner's manual & keeping things stock) PSD would be totally trounced by any gasser. Probably happens a lot, so he's just trying to vent a little.

What really surprises me is that the race was won/lost in the areas that occurred. I kind of figured that the big-block with extra-low 1st gear (Allison) would take the 0-60 race and the V10 would come on strong at speed. Boy, did I have that pegged wrong!

Old 03-03-2003, 09:05 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by metalbender

This guy is a troll , needs some help ! mentally

He ain't getting any stars from me guys!
trust me!

Rich

Old 03-03-2003, 09:20 AM
rabidsnowmobiler
Junior User

Originally posted by Outpost22

Just tell him you backed off so you wouldn't get a ticket

Funny you mentioned that. He figured that is what happened since I blew by him at the start and he caught me like that. I guess I should have went a long with it...

I am wondering if the increased aerodynamic drag from my lift and tires hurt me that much??? I only have a 3" body lift, but would the combination of that, the relative squareness of the Super Duty and my 285 vs his 265's be enough to make that big of a difference?

Old 03-03-2003, 09:26 AM
bddo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is his truck the 2500HD or the 1500HD? That would make a huge difference...

Old 03-03-2003, 09:32 AM
bddo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scratch my last post!!!! I just realized that the 8.1 is not available in the 1500 series...

Sorry about that!!!!

Old 03-03-2003, 09:48 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

I wouldn't go so far as to say he totally trounced you. When you compare the size of the two engines, the V10 at 6.8l and the Chevy at 8.1l, it would be pitiful if he didn't have a slight advantage. It does prove that the extra 1.3l doesn't do that much more for the Chevy, and I'm willing to bet your truck is heavier than his. I wonder what kind of mileage he gets and how many quarts of oil he uses between oil changes.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:46 AM
rabidsnowmobiler
Junior User

Originally posted by johnsdiesel
I wouldn't go so far as to say he totally trounced you. When you compare the size of the two engines, the V10 at 6.8l and the Chevy at 8.1l, it would be pitiful if he didn't have a slight advantage. It does prove that the extra 1.3l doesn't do that much more for the Chevy, and I'm willing to bet your truck is heavier than his. I wonder what kind of mileage he gets and how many quarts of oil he uses between oil changes.
I am guessing my truck weighs more too. I have had it on the scales at 6,660lbs. with only me in it. He says that his truck weighs more due to the crew cab, but has never had it on the scales. I have a feeling Ford has a little heavier frame, and I am sure the solid front axle adds weight vs. IFS. As far as mileage goes, he uses about 1-2mpg less than me. We pull similar snowmobile trailers in the winter. They are both 4 place enclosed, and going 75mph, I will average 8-9 and he will average 7-8. And, I guess I should look at it this way: I bought my truck to tow, not to race. So I guess the fact that I jump off the line faster would show a higher useable torque, which is what towings all about. However, I bet if I had a supercharger, that would swing things back in my court. Hmmm, this could get expensive!

Old 03-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Y2K350
Elder User

Race him again when you both have 120,000 miles on your odometer. That is if his 8.1 is still running then. Which I doubt.

Old 03-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Waxy
Postmaster

I've got a soft spot for the GM 502's, they're the best sounding engines out there.

The way I see it, you did pretty all things considered, in the end, there's no replacement for displacement. (Or his fuel bill)

Waxy

Quick Reply: I got sanded by an 8.1L Chebby. Help!