6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Block Heater Cord Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got quite a bit of snow here in NH. That was accompanied by colder temps. Then rain flooding the roads.

I installed a light post with outlet for my block heater. Plugged the cord in tonight and my GFCI tripped in the house. It seems I got water/ice at the element connection. I will have to wait till tomorrow to make sure. Temps will not be too cold over the next couple of days so I will get a good look hopefully tomorrow. Heck it might be dry by that time! If your installing your own cord make sure you're weather tight! Eric

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sullid01
The block heater uses about 1000W so it does consume some electricity, but this was also a colder than normal Dec for most of us. My electric bill was $100 higher this Dec and I never plugged it in (didn't have it installed yet).

I have been pleasantly surprised how well the 5W-40 synthetic has helped with cold starts - nice and smooth even in the 20's. With 15W-40 it would crank slow and lack power until the EOT was at least 70.
I simply cannot understand why in the hell so many Powerstroke owners insist on running 15w-40 conventional oil in cold temps.

Another poster on this thread wrote his truck takes 5 seconds to start in +70F and 12-15 seconds at +30F or lower. What the hell? How can you think that's O.K.?

I run 5w-40 synthetic and keep my batteries connected to a Deltran Battery Tender whenever the truck is home. My crank times are maybe 1/2 second longer when the truck has cold soaked for ten hours at -28F. I let it idle for two minutes, then drive off slowly.

I have never used my block heater because I use the right oil and carefully select winterized diesel fuel plus anti gel. Just change your oil. You can run 5w-40 in all temperatures and Ford has back spec'd it for all Powerstrokes. Additionally, if you rely on a block heater to get your truck started at home, I guess you are restricted to only driving where you can plug in. Like home. Wait. Already there!

I've towed in +115F in Death Valley and -20F in Wyoming with no problems using 5w-40.

Why do you guys dick around with grill covers and block heaters? My truck is equipped with a THERMOSTAT. It was standard equipment in 2005. At 0F, my oil and water temps get up to 110F in three minutes of 30MPH traffic. At 65MPH in -10F weather, unloaded, I see EOT and ECT in the mid 180s.

+30F is not cold. It's a sign from God telling you to use a lighter weight oil and maintain your batteries.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by XB70
I simply cannot understand why in the hell so many Powerstroke owners insist on running 15w-40 conventional oil in cold temps.

Another poster on this thread wrote his truck takes 5 seconds to start in +70F and 12-15 seconds at +30F or lower. What the hell? How can you think that's O.K.?

I run 5w-40 synthetic and keep my batteries connected to a Deltran Battery Tender whenever the truck is home. My crank times are maybe 1/2 second longer when the truck has cold soaked for ten hours at -28F. I let it idle for two minutes, then drive off slowly.

I have never used my block heater because I use the right oil and carefully select winterized diesel fuel plus anti gel. Just change your oil. You can run 5w-40 in all temperatures and Ford has back spec'd it for all Powerstrokes. Additionally, if you rely on a block heater to get your truck started at home, I guess you are restricted to only driving where you can plug in. Like home. Wait. Already there!

I've towed in +115F in Death Valley and -20F in Wyoming with no problems using 5w-40.

Why do you guys dick around with grill covers and block heaters? My truck is equipped with a THERMOSTAT. It was standard equipment in 2005. At 0F, my oil and water temps get up to 110F in three minutes of 30MPH traffic. At 65MPH in -10F weather, unloaded, I see EOT and ECT in the mid 180s.

+30F is not cold. It's a sign from God telling you to use a lighter weight oil and maintain your batteries.
You're absolutely right about the oil. It does make a big difference in ease of starting. I believe that translates to less stress on the engine and the associated components. I use a local Ford Dealer for service. The Tech that works on my truck has 27 years experience in working on, repairing and maintaining specifically Diesel Engines. When he has something to tell me, I listen. He swears by, recommends highly, almosts insists on 5W-40.

Eric

Old 02-08-2011, 04:23 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by egregg57
Plugged the cord in tonight and my GFCI tripped in the house. It seems I got water/ice at the element connection. I will have to wait till tomorrow to make sure. Temps will not be too cold over the next couple of days so I will get a good look hopefully tomorrow. Heck it might be dry by that time! If your installing your own cord make sure you're weather tight! Eric
Di-electric grease would help keep the water out also. When installing the cord...you want to put a dab on the element end and on the male plug end. Will not only help prevent corrosion but keep the water out of the sockets and causing a short.