Sponsored by:

Has anyone done this

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 11:08 AM
78blueford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone done this

I was wondering if anyone has made a 2wd truck in to a 4wd truck. I was told that you can not swap a axel under a 78 3\4 ton with out alot of modification
I was wondering if anyone has cut the front of the 2wd frame and mated a 4wd front frame section to it and how did you do it

any info would be great

thanks
78blueford

Old 03-02-2003, 11:34 AM
xanthias
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone done this

There was an article a couple of months back about doing just this type of swap in Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad Magazine. I think they were doing an old chevy swap, but the issues are the same.

I think, generally, the issues you need to think about, are:

1. What is your transmission and what transfer case options to you have to mate with it?
2. Do you have access to adequate fabbing to make up the crossmember(s) and related hardware that will be needed to mount a transfer case?
3. Will your truck accommodate a drivers' side axle feed/driver side differential (I think this is the setup on most ford 4x4's).

I think you may be looking at the problem from the reverse. You do NOT want to go chopping up your frame. Indeed, you may need to plan to box in some sections for strength. I think you can move the spring perches and shock mounts on the donor axle, if needed, assuming the above issues can be addressed. Also, you will have to fab up some spring mounts for the frame, likely.