1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 Mile Haul Tomorrow, Brakes are shot (Pics added 12/2)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1200 Mile Haul Tomorrow, Brakes are shot (Pics added 12/2)

Hi everyone, I hope your holiday was well.

I have a 2005 Powerstroke F250 with 156k on the clock.

A couple days ago, the brakes started grinding. I took a look in the back, and sure enough, the rear driver caliper was grinding on the rotors. No warning squeak or anything, just straight to grinding. Rear passenger is not grinding or squeaking. Still has some life left.

I bought a new set of rear rotors and a complete set of brake pads for all 4 corners a few days ago in order to replace the brakes. Well, today as I'm approaching a red light, I hit the brakes. The pedal hits the floor...nothing....I was able to stop, but definitely raised my bp a bit... I got out and took a look, brake fluid everywhere on the rear driver area and the pad had completely separated from the caliper.

I haven't taken everything apart first, but I wanted to check with you guys to find out if I'm in over my head. I have a 1200 mile road trip that I'm supposed to make tomorrow hauling a couple RTU's back from chicago. You can be sure I ain't starting this trip with no brakes! I can upload some pictures if that would help. Basically, the rear driver wheel, wheel well, and surrounding parts are completely soaked with brake fluid as well as a nice puddle where it's parked. The pad is in a completely different part of the rotor separated from the caliper. Upon visual inspection I can see the silver parts of the "slide pins" that the caliper moves along.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done brakes before so I'm fairly knowledgeable, but if this will require more technical work I'd like to know so I can make an appointment with a mechanic asap.

Thanks for the help,
William Pictures as requested. I'm in the process of removing the caliper so I'll update with more pics.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 PM
OHSIX6OH
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That rear caliper was probably sticking and didnt like the new pads, I had to replace both of mine in the last 6 months due to sticking.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:39 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
Sorry if my wording was confusing, I haven't put the new pads on yet. I intended to once they arrived in the mail, but now I see I have a bigger problem on my hands. It is possible that it was sticking before with the old pads since one is completely toast while the other has a little life left. Thanks for the info, William

Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
OHSIX6OH
5th Wheeling
If it was sticking you would have known by the smell of hot brakes

Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
darn. back to square one I guess

Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
I would've got the parts locally the same day and put them on. I've seen too many vehicles that the owner ignored the grinding, only to have no brakes at all a couple days later. A very dangerous situation that could've been avoided!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
What happened is not natural wear. Even if the pad would wear out the steel pad backing would keep on grinding on the rotor. Something had to break badly and let the fluid go.
Take it apart and post some pictures if you can.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
TBFGhost
Junior User
...you could have worn the pad out to the point of the piston coming out of its bore. I find that a little hard to believe if it JUST started grinding. I have gone metal to metal before on brake pads (pad backing to rotor) and been fine...but is possiable.

Go get rear rotors, pads and calipers...do it all and be done with it. It sounds like your use your truck alot, so you should be extra aware of things wearing out...

Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
I getting kind of nervous... :/ Well, I'll tear it down tonight and snap a few pictures. I'll upload them when I have them.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM
jpeters1
Senior User
Ive had the front pad slip out of the caliper before. Luckily it happend while parking at work and I felt the brakes go. I had new pads and rotors at home so I put a few weld beads on the brake pad so that it wouldnt fall out again so I could get home. I imagine that since there is fluid everywhere you will need to get a rebuilt caliper, rotor, dot3 fluid, pads, bleed the brakes and you will be good. Caliper is shot for sure since the piston had to rub the rotor. You can easily have your truck ready in an afternoon. I would go get the parts before the parts store close and fix it tonight. Get a Haynes manual if needed.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
If I were you I'd go to the auto parts store. Get new rear calipers, brake cleaner, brake fluid..you have the pads...look strongly at the rotors and see if they need turned but you could get without it as long as you replace the rest.

You will need to address the rotors upon return unless they are ok now.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:46 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
Hi everyone, thanks for the help. I have updated the original thread with pictures. I know they're kind of blurry, but I hope they help. Everything is exactly as it was when I removed the wheel. I have not moved everything. I am in the process of removing the caliper, just waiting for the wd-40 to do its job

Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Based upon the pics, I would be inclined to replace that one caliper with the moisture on it.

Looking at those rotors I think they are probably too worn down to save them. Although as I said orginally if you have to use them so you can get back on the road you could do that.

Keep in mind though that those new pads will not like that.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
qwertmonkey
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Based upon the pics, I would be inclined to replace that one caliper with the moisture on it.

Looking at those rotors I think they are probably too worn down to save them. Although as I said orginally if you have to use them so you can get back on the road you could do that.

Keep in mind though that those new pads will not like that.
What it looks like is the caliper may have been over extended when the pad slipped out, causing the fluid leak. Now I'm not positive, but by visual comparison to the other rear, it looks possible. I'm probably a little biased because what I do have accessible to me is a new set of pads AND rotors. I initially planned on replacing the rotors anyway. I don't have a replacement caliper easily accessible but I know it should be replaced.

Does anyone know if the bolts holding the caliper on are reverse threaded? I can't seem to get them off. I've tried air tools and everything.

Thanks for the help,
William

Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Over extended caliper is most likely the cause of the leak. You will know more as you get it off.

Quick Reply: 1200 Mile Haul Tomorrow, Brakes are shot (Pics added 12/2)