New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

The Official December 2010 New Jersey Chat & BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
morning boys
4 pages already you guys have been BUSY!!!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:51 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Morning Scott and Jim!

Busy busy busy........

Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

Any of u guys know anything about metal horizontal band saws

Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Not me Jim, what are you looking for?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Jim, if it doesnt deal with computers, I have no earthly idea hehe. Good morning to ya.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rat49f6
Any of u guys know anything about metal horizontal band saws
I saw the pictures of the motor mounts, it's moving right along!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:38 AM
rat49f6
Postmaster

I need to buy a new blade and a spare and I'm not sure how many teeth per inch is right for the steel I'm cutting

Motor mounts came out better than I expected now I'm working on building the transmission crossmember so we will see if I get lucky again.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:54 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Good morning and have a great December Jersey.

The band saw blades are best to ask the company you are buying them from or maybe a machine shop. A lot depends on type of metal and thickness.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Good morning everyone..

What's going on??

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 AM
donjamer
Originally Posted by rat49f6
I need to buy a new blade and a spare and I'm not sure how many teeth per inch is right for the steel I'm cutting

Motor mounts came out better than I expected now I'm working on building the transmission crossmember so we will see if I get lucky again.
Here is something I found online that may help..

The site is Metal Bandsaws, Bandsaw Blades

The proper blade for Bandsaw will give a better cut and make the job much easier and safer. There are 3 types of blade materials:
1. Bi-Metal
2. Hardback carbon
3. Flexback
Carbon blades
This is an economical blade made of flexible high carbon steel and it’s best To use it on high speed wood cutting saws. The teeth are heat treated to resist wearing and maintain sharpness. The body of the blade is soft enough and yet not too brittle. Carbon Hard Edge Flexback blades are used primarily for cutting wood and soft metals (aluminium and mild steel)
Bi-Metal blades
Just like the carbon steel blades, Bi-Metal blades have hard teeth and softer band. Bi-Metal blades are designed for cutting hard woods and all metals (from mild through stainless steel), basically for all tough materials where higher abrasion and temperature conditions are encountered. A piece of cobalt steel is laminated to a spring steel band which creates a blade that can withstand very high temperatures (operating cutting temperatures of 1000°F) and maintain tooth sharpness.
Carbide Tipped blades
Carbide is attached via ball and socket to the tip of each tooth. Carbide is then ground sharp. With it’s precision triple chip ground teeth Carbide tipped blade will outlast all others when cutting abrasive materials. Carbide tipped blades are harder than Bi-Metal blades and are ideal for re-sawing hard, abrasive or exotic woods. Carbide tipped blades will cut difficult materials such as stainless steel, titanium alloys and tool steels.
Beside Blade material you should pay attention to a few more things when buying new Bandsaw blade:
1. Blade Length – Simply measure the length of the blade needed.
2. Blade Width – It is important to use the correct width of the blade (recommended by the manufacturer) for your band saw. Usually you can use smaller width but under no circumstance you should go wider. A wide blade gives you more stability and a straighter cut. Narrower blade gives you tighter radius. In principle, the wider the Band Saw blade, the higher its beam strength and the better it can maintain straightness.
3. Blade Thickness – You should try to stay with the same thickness to avoid having to make adjustments when changing blades, because some blades of the same width come in different thickness. If you need to adjust your saw to different thickness follow the instructions for adjusting.
4. Pitch or Teeth Per Inch – To determine the number of teeth per inch, measure one inch of the blade from gullet to gullet and count the number of full teeth between them. This only works on constant pitches. Blades with more TPI (teeth per inch) will make a smoother cut but the blade will cut slower, a blade with fewer TPI will cut quicker but it will leave a rougher finish. For example for resawing, you need an aggressive blade, ( few TPI and as wide as the saw will accommodate).
The general rule is to have at least 3 teeth in the material at all times and run as wide a blade as possible for the particular job.
To prolong the life of your Band Saw blades and to stop them from wondering while cutting you should pay attention to the tension, and follow the instructions. According to many woodworkers it’s always better to add a bit more tension than indicated.
If you use your Band Saw to cut metal, you need a good cutting fluid for almost all materials. Cast iron should be cut dry and aluminum should be cut with power paraffin. You can choose between water soluble fluids or a neat cutting fluids.
Tooth forms in Band Saw blades are:
Raker tooth (S) – available in constant tooth pitches of 3-32 tpi blades and in the variable tooth pitch blades of 3-4 tpi to 10-14 tpi. Blades with this tooth form are suitable for short clipping materials (steel or cast iron) and small cross sections.
Hook tooth (K) – on blades with constant tooth pitches of 0.75-6 tpi and in blades with variable tooth pitches of 0.55-0.75 tpi to 4-6 tpi. Blades with this tooth form are suitable for long chipping tough materials, non ferrous metals and steels with a carbon content smaller than 0.8%, strong structural, rust resistant steels, acid resistant steels and large cross sections
Skip tooth (L) – on blades with constant tooth pitches of 2, 3, 4 and 6 tpi. Blades with this tooth form are suitable for fragile or brittle materials and large cross sections.
Trapezoidal tooth (T) – on blades with variable tooth pitches of 0.85-1.15 tpi to 3-4 tpi. Blades with this tooth form are suitable for high band sawing demands.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Morning Jim and Don.

And oh Don, that is way too much to read this early in the morning haha

Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 AM
jredline1984
Hotshot
Good Morning NJ!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM
donjamer
Originally Posted by scottzj
Morning Jim and Don.

And oh Don, that is way too much to read this early in the morning haha

That's why I didn't read it..

I just posted it

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Rog that.....nothing better than copy and pasting data to make life easier. Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 308 Likes on 283 Posts
Morning Joisey Peeps and all that visit

Quick Reply: The Official December 2010 New Jersey Chat & BS Thread