Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Squeak Prevention Tips?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
turnrjr
Elder User
turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.turnrjr has a good reputation on FTE.
Squeak Prevention Tips?

The chassis is done, the 223 is in it and it runs well. Over the weekend I was looking at the bunch of body and panel parts that are the next part of this project. There is a lot of cleaning, straightening and patching needed before assembly but I was wondering if anything is put between bolted panels to keep them from squeaking. I know about the welting at fenders. What about other bolted panels like the air deflector panels and inner fenders? I was thinking something like the fabric type electrical tape run along the contact face where the bolts go. What have you guys done?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:00 PM
ibuzzard
Gone But Not Forgotten
ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
I'd say that cloth-type tape would hold moisture.As far as rubber welting,not sure if it is necessary or desirable.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I'll be using a seam sealer when I do final assembly of the front sheet metal, it's the kind that stays relatively soft to keep dust and moisture out.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
The best way to cut down on squeaking and squawking is to leave the passenger home! HaHa!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
cmoritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I asked myself this question over the summer before putting the front clip on and my conclusion was..everywhere there was rubber between panels, there was rust..and in some cases ALOT of repair work to remedy. I decided to use the fender to cowl welts anyway, if only to help protect the paint while fitting. Since there was no evidence of heavy rust anywhere else, I decided against using it elsewhere..I just tightened things down ,metal to metal (paint to paint).

I also agree with spurredon..

Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 PM
firstrider
Postmaster
firstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to beholdfirstrider is a splendid one to behold
Use some type of fender welt between panels where their is metal to metal contact .Rear fenders , front fenders to front side of cab , all front sheet metal panels .

Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I use ear plugs!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputationabe has a superb reputation
Its not really an old truck if it doesn't squeak!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
cwordsmith
Junior User
cwordsmith is starting off with a positive reputation.
anti squeeks

I bought webbing from LMC part No. 49-9305 and intend to use a sealer like my PO had used on the rear fenders.

Slightly off thread but do you intend to spray all the parts before assembly like Sam D. did or afterwards.? My PO had sprayed the areas of contact on the rear fenders just to make sure the color was in there.

Chris
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
petey shoes is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i used the plastic welt between all my panels. no squeaks and can't hold water. always cut it longer than you want so you can hide that unsitely hollow end. they have been on my truck for 20 years now, and clean up real well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.