6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Another use for a potentiometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:56 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another use for a potentiometer

I haven't done alot of research on this yet but I figured I would ask y'all if you think it would work or not.
I have had to alter a few things on this truck that are just flat out annoying... I.E. the stupid dinging that goes off when I have the ebrake applied when going from drive to park.

I personally have thought that the whole 32 degrees until the seat warmers comes on is just too cold before it comes on...I'd rather it be set at around 40 or 45 degrees. I was wondering if there is a way I can put a potentiometer inline with the outside are temp sensor and increase the resistance or decrease it to make it think its colder than it is so that the seats will come on earlier and once I get into the truck I can turn the potentiometer so that it doesn't interfer.
Thoughts please

Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The e-brake chime annoys me too but I learned that if I release it before I put the truck in Drive or Reverse it does not ding at me.

I would be concerned about messing with the EXT temp system. I think it sends info to the PCM that is used to manage fuel injection, cold start strategy, input to oil change algorhythm to calculate oil life and who knows what else. If your engine thinks it's 50 degrees outside but actual temps are 20 degrees cooler it might make things a little strange.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
how did you get rid of that chime? While it is true that you can disengage the brake before shifting to drive to avoid that annoying chime... you can't do it when shifting to park. I have a somewhat steep driveway, and to keep strain off of the transmission, I always shift to Neutral first, apply the park brake, ensure that the truck is resting only on the park brake, then shift into park. The damned thing dings at me at least a couple times per day.

If there is a way to disable this, I'm all ears

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is something wrong with me...I have never set the E brake...

Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
jfritz_drfritz
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Is something wrong with me...I have never set the E brake...
I'm sort of on the same page. I do set the ebrake regularly but I park facing downhill. My routine however is to put my foot on the brake in prep for shifting the gear to reverse, and release the ebrake, then shift then drive. That way no annoying banging against the transmission shifter pall, and I never get an alarm

Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
sncbluegt
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
The e-brake chime annoys me too but I learned that if I release it before I put the truck in Drive or Reverse it does not ding at me.

I would be concerned about messing with the EXT temp system. I think it sends info to the PCM that is used to manage fuel injection, cold start strategy, input to oil change algorhythm to calculate oil life and who knows what else. If your engine thinks it's 50 degrees outside but actual temps are 20 degrees cooler it might make things a little strange.
These are the exact things I was worried about!!

As far as disabling the ding for the ebrake..I just unplugged the one wire connector at the top of the ebrake assy...granted it doesn't have any indication that the ebrake is applied when this is disconnected but I'll take that over the ridiculous dinging...I as well shift into neutral apply the ebrake let off the brake pedal and then shift into park to make sure the ebrake is taking all the weight.
That bang that the trans makes when shifting outta park when a bunch of weight is sitting on it makes me cringe.