Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Ford F150 4.9L Carberator Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM
4Diggin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought about the same swap, having second thoughts

Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Ricky Weymers
New User
Help

I have a 1994 f150 4.9 online six there's a clip just hanging on the injector harness and cannot find where it goes it's right in the middle of the injector wires??

Old 12-22-2016, 05:20 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricky Weymers
I have a 1994 f150 4.9 online six there's a clip just hanging on the injector harness and cannot find where it goes it's right in the middle of the injector wires??
Welcome to FTE! You should start your own thread and post a picture. Even as a newb I think you can post a pic.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Eric Fullerton
Senior User
Originally Posted by Xclimation
I remember when FI started to become mainstream on cars. I was soooo intimidated. I was very resistant to them, and I think it was more or less intimidation.
I'll second that. I remember feeling like a cave man poking it with a stick. Now as you say; why can't the lawnmower and weed eater have EFI. I'll throw in another couple of things, today's gas is much more EFI friendly than carb friendly. I finally sold my 79 F350, tired of yearly rebuilds on the carb, bought a 96 4.9 and love it. The other thing is the 300 I6 never really had good fuel distribution, it gained the most of the existing engines when EFI was added and it became the 4.9. The V8s had good fuel distribution to begin with, so gained less from the transition. I suppose a modern 4bbl manifold would be less of a problem, but still, this is the golden age, and this from a guy who was considered a pretty good carburetor man at one time.

Old 06-16-2021, 02:21 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to get rid of fords silly attempt at EFI and throw a holly sniper on my 4.9. Evey time i find an issue and fix it it runs worse. These EFI systems are archaic and should be done away with. The computer is to simple to tel you anything specific and just complicated enough to be hard to diagnose.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:01 PM
SFaulken
Cargo Master
Received 610 Likes on 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Finality
I want to get rid of fords silly attempt at EFI and throw a holly sniper on my 4.9. Evey time i find an issue and fix it it runs worse. These EFI systems are archaic and should be done away with. The computer is to simple to tel you anything specific and just complicated enough to be hard to diagnose.
Meh, go for it, it's your money. You'll get a truck that runs just about the same as it does right now, unless you're going to do internal engine work. Oh, and have to buy an intake manifold, at the very least.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-16-2021, 03:05 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SFaulken
Meh, go for it, it's your money. You'll get a truck that runs just about the same as it does right now, unless you're going to do internal engine work. Oh, and have to buy an intake manifold, at the very least.
It doesn't run right now... because the efi is not a very good system.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM
Mikulh
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm not sure what all is involved with the Holy Sniper EFI, but I'm very happy with my PimpX ECU by Stinger Performance. It is an implementation of MegaSquirt that is setup to plug into your factory wiring.

I'm using it to power a 5.8L, but you could run any engine with it.

Here's a link to my PimpX install thread if you're interested in reading about it...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-install.html

Old 06-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Finality
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Mikulh
I'm not sure what all is involved with the Holy Sniper EFI, but I'm very happy with my PimpX ECU by Stinger Performance. It is an implementation of MegaSquirt that is setup to plug into your factory wiring.

I'm using it to power a 5.8L, but you could run any engine with it.

Here's a link to my PimpX install thread if you're interested in reading about it...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...x-install.html
The holley sniper is 4 wires. Constant 14.7:1 no matter what mods you have. Cams, turbo, blower, etc. Runs off of O2 sensors. I don't want factory wiring. It is the problem so I am trying to circumvent it.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:25 PM
SFaulken
Cargo Master
Received 610 Likes on 484 Posts
The holley sniper is 4 wires. Constant 14.7:1 no matter what mods you have. Cams, turbo, blower, etc. Runs off of O2 sensors. I don't want factory wiring. It is the problem so I am trying to circumvent it.
Cool Story Bro.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:23 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Well, I'm going to guess that you have had a bad experience with the OEM system, or possibly you just want the tuneability of the Holley. First off, the Ford EECIV EFI system is a very reliable and successful system. If you are having problems working with it, you likely will have even bigger problems working with an aftermarket EFI.

I have some experience with the Holley Sniper EFI, mainly on SBC engines and it is not as reliable as the OEM systems. It also is a throttle body style of system which would be a downgrade from the port injected EECIV. You may want to consider the Holley Terminator X or a MegaSquirt system which would allow you to retain factory manifolds, Nonetheless, you will have to learn how to tune if you are contemplating cams or forced induction.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2021, 09:29 AM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 372 Likes on 285 Posts
A constant 14.7? So it only steady state cruises or idles? Because acceleration requires a rich mixture. And even cruising with a load requires a richer mix. The sniper tbi style will give worse fuel distribution with less mpg and worse performance. Add in that if you have an auto trans the holley wont control it either.
And the closed loop tuning off of just the O2s is slow and clunky, there is a reason nobody uses it for performance applications.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:50 PM
ABR3
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by conjohncept
Im looking to convert my truck to carberation to eliminate all of the OBD1 and Emissions bull**** that I cant stand working on. I heard that my truck needs its EGR valve otherwise it will burn the valves. Is this true?

What CFM carb would be recomended for this motor also?
As in attached photos,I have a 94 XLT Extended cab 351W that was converted to a 4bbl intake and carb...a MSD ignition control box,coil,and distributor were also added...on the left side of the carb a throttle sensor was mounted on a home-made bracket to tell the E4OD tranny when to shift...that was the issue and critical part of my truck's conversion..it was mounted a little off and the truck would go into passing gear when it was cold so it had to be adjusted..we also converted the in tank pumps by removing the pump motors from the housing and replaced them with and extended 'straw' to pull fuel from the bottom and kept the sending units...we removed the existing fuel lines and replaced them without a return and an inline fuel pump (25gph at 6psi) and added a 12v actuator valve with a dash mounted toggle switch to swap tanks mounted next to the tank switch on the dash..last but not least I mounted a fuel pressure regulator just to keep from flooding the carb.... If I had to guess I figure a gain of 25hp due to all the changes especially the MSD...and costs all together run about $1500 not including the engine rebuild... Altogether not a popular choice on this forum but slapping the pedal to the floor and hearing the 4 barrel sounding like a vacuum cleaner makes it all worth it...

I love the 85 Mustang dual snorkel air cleaner

Old 06-17-2021, 01:02 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,076 Posts
25 horsepower increase from changing the ignition system? You can’t be serious

Old 06-17-2021, 01:14 PM
ABR3
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
This is why I'm not a huge fan of this forum...2MNY @$$HLES...yes with all the changes including the Op intake,4bbl,MSD ignition,coil,and distributor,air cleaner,and last but not least the Holley fuel pressure regulator. On EFI I had to turn off the A/C to pull a hill...now I gain speed on the same hill with the A/C running...so......please don't discourage from swapping to old school....its far more adjustable and trustworthy... I only with the E4OD didn't need that stupid throttle sensor to shift...oh...and if I behave myself and stay out of the 4BBL,I can get 18 mpg on 89 octane...WITH E90...DO THAT WITH 94 EFI

Quick Reply: 1994 Ford F150 4.9L Carberator Conversion