Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Injector line holders

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
ttexastim
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector line holders

So a few months ago I had one of my injector lines break. It sheared off right where it connects to the injector. Thanks to this forum, I replaced it myself and didn't waste 300 dollars letting the dealer do it. Another one just broke today (driver side rear cylinder), and I have ordered the part and will be replacing it too.I noticed that my injector lines (minus the new one) show some wear right near the center where something was used to hold all the lines together on each side. Whatever was there, is no longer around. I think on the thread last time, someone mentioned that the lack of having these things, is what is causing the injector lines to break off right where they attach to the injector.Where can I find these things? Is there any rhyme or reason to how they get clamped together? Could I just use some old fuel line and zip ties, or do you need the real part. Does anyone know where I can find the real part for purchase?Any help will be great. With my crow's foot rachets and some patience, I'm not planning on this being a big deal. Just want to make sure that I keep any more from shearing off like these last 2 injector lines have done.Thanks in advance for tips/tricks/suggestions.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you need those lol. They are flat metal clamps with formed rubber that fits around the lines. They help reduce the vibration in the lines from the engine that causes hem to fatigue and break. Some guys have made there own, but I would just hot the local upull yard and see if you can find them there.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kenpobuck is totally correct, by all means get them installed ... You need them or you will definitely be replacing Injector lines constantly!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 PM
ttexastim
Senior User
Aw HELL! Dealer can't find the part. I'm now calling all the salvage yards around looking for a part. No one around here has a 6.9. If anyone knows a good online spot to get this ... I'm all ears (technically eyes since this is the internet. )

Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the clamps from any idi should work

Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 PM
rupejosh
Cargo Master
worse case scenario you could wrap fuel line around each one and tape them together if you cant find any clamps.its just a bandaid til you can locate clamps though

Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
MidWest Fuel Injection

Look at the bottom of the page.

-Enjoy

Old 07-14-2010, 05:11 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Try to find a place in Texas most any diesel shop should have them....

Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 PM
ttexastim
Senior User
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
MidWest Fuel Injection

Look at the bottom of the page.

-Enjoy
Sweet Mana from heaven! Awesome! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I thought I was gonna be out of luck. Thanks so much!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That is why we are on here man, to help when we can.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by ttexastim
Sweet Mana from heaven! Awesome! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I thought I was gonna be out of luck. Thanks so much!!!
Payment accepted!

(ie you're welcome)

-Enjoy

Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 PM
poocher pup
Senior User
the clamps are not 100% as i broke 2 lines on my 7.3l with clamps on it and haven't broken any on my 6.9l with no clamps on it.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
ttexastim
Senior User
Thanks Poocher. So far I've broken #1, and now #8. I'm hoping maybe that will be it. I'm hoping the clamps will help solve the vibrations that is breaking them.

Parts are ordered, and hopefully I'll see them soon. Now I'm just hoping that my crows foot rachet set can reach the nut on the injector as easily as it did for the #1 line.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:24 PM
ttexastim
Senior User
Update: I wish I could say I had a good update.

All went well with the last repair. I got injector line #8 on, and had to adjust the lines quite a bit to get the clamps on properly. Started it up, and all was well.

A few weeks back, once again, pulling my trailer and noticed loss of power. At the light off the freeway, noticed the truck rocking at idle, indicating I'm not firing correctly. Popped the hood, and had a fountain.

After looking it over and carfully analyzing, now line #2, #4, and #8 (the one I just replaced) are leaking. #2 is a fountain, spraying all over, and #4 and #8 are just oozing deisel from the top. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I take this to mean I need to buy 3 more injector lines, and replace them. I will probably just buy all 4 for the drivers side that way I catch #6 before it breaks.

Do y'all think this is just from a few years of being used without the holders? Any explanation on why #8 is now oozing when I just replaced it?

Very frustrating.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
ttexastim
Senior User
Wow ... I just bought 4 lines, and got lucky!!!

I was looking at the midwest diesel site, and on the ford 6.9 page, it showed the #6 line as unavailable, so I called. The guy on the phone said he had it, and it would be the same price as the others. $92 bucks. I commented that the website said it was 46 dollars. He then starts digging. Apparently, they have a new website (www.thedieselstore.com) and the price ont here is 92. He said they would honor the midwest price, and that he was going to look into it.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but this just screamed to me that they are doubling the price and that I found a place they forgot to double the price. I noticed that the navstar 6.9 page had the same injector lines, but showed the #6 available, so I hurried and bought 4 lines while they were 46 bucks a piece.

Figured I'd share that, just in case anyone else out there needs injector lines. For 200 bucks I got all 4, half of what it would cost at the new prices.

Quick Reply: Injector line holders