6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Update on computer flash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM
garbenn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on computer flash

Well, I didn't hear of to many problems from anyone after having the PCM flashed. So today I took my baby to the dealer for the big flash and they told me give them a half hour. I got back to find that the flash wiped out all computer information from my PCM and they would have to replace the computer. only they would would have to order it and it would tach a few days. Meanwhile my baby sits dead! At least they gave my a car to drive while we wait to get her back. They said Ford is having some problems reflashing built 1 trucks

Old 11-16-2010, 03:33 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hearing things like this make me glad I waited long enough to have mine already updated at the factory. Although I will say my brother had zero issues getting his reflashed.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
the only thing that can go wrong with the reflash is the technician doing the reflash. That's just how these things work... not exclusive to Ford, just the nature of a firmware update.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
garbenn
Junior User
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
the only thing that can go wrong with the reflash is the technician doing the reflash. That's just how these things work... not exclusive to Ford, just the nature of a firmware update.
Well I don't know who's to blame but there was a engineer from ford with the tech dealing with the reflash. Like I say, don't know who's at fault but I'm really starting to miss my truck, hope she not getting lonely.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This story circulates around the forums from time to time. There are 100000 trucks out there now with the new flash and 99950(or more) of them are just fine. It is a known fact that poor technician procedures have been the cause of re-flash issues.

Regards

Old 11-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickatic
This story circulates around the forums from time to time. There are 100000 trucks out there now with the new flash and 99950(or more) of them are just fine. It is a known fact that poor technician procedures have been the cause of re-flash issues.

Regards
Yep, but to post that the only thing that can go wrong with a re-flash is the technician is simply wrong.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
What, other than a laptop computer issue at re-flash, can go wrong? If the computer is up to date and the technician does his job, there have been no problems.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Laptop dies, has a virus, OBD wire comes loose or stray static electricity are all items that come to mind. An absent minded tech could turn the key off during the flash, but I don't see too many human error things that could come into play.

No matter, like Rick stated it is a documented problem but it is very rare. Same sort of problem happened on 6.0s and 6.4s. Hopefully they get you a new PCM and get her up and running soon.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM
bmiller131
Freshman User
This may be off topic, but related. I was wondering how I can verify I have the latest flash update. I saw a thread a while back before I bought the truck but I forget the specifics. Something about locking out a gear, turning the truck off and back on and seeing what gear shows. Anyone know what I'm talking about? My build date is real close to the cutoff date so I want to be sure. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
If you push the plus or minus trans button the gear list appears on the dash. If you leave it on, turn off the truck and then restart the truck, the gear list will still be there if you have the flash. No gear list=no flash

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
bmiller131
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rickatic
If you push the plus or minus trans button the gear list appears on the dash. If you leave it on, turn off the truck and then restart the truck, the gear list will still be there if you have the flash. No gear list=no flash
Thanks Ric. I figured you'd be out there somewhere. Its all good, the list is there. Just one thing that doesnt quite agree. The list is always there, I do not have to push the + button to see it in the first place. Is that normal?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:38 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Then at some point in time you did push a button to activate it. Once it appears, it doesn't go away unless you turn it off which is accomplished by pressing the + while all 6 numbers are visible on the screen.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
BigBri BigBri
Junior User
maybe i'm thinking to much about this, but the guys who had their computers messed up by the techs might be the lucky ones. Think about it, they won't be getting a reflashed job 1 computer but a factory fresh job2 computer. . . i think i'd what it that way.
ether way good luck with your truck and sorry for troubles
brian

Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM
bmiller131
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
Then at some point in time you did push a button to activate it. Once it appears, it doesn't go away unless you turn it off which is accomplished by pressing the + while all 6 numbers are visible on the screen.
That could be. Maybe when playing with all the buttons at the dealer it was activated. Regardless its always been there, so I am good to go. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Yep, but to post that the only thing that can go wrong with a re-flash is the technician is simply wrong.
how is that wrong? I've done thousands of firmware upgrades to all sorts of devices in my professional career. I've instructed teams of people to do the same. If it goes wrong, it's because the technician missed something. plain and simple. Static electricity, cables, laptops, etc... all are things that the technician controls. If one of those things causes the problem, it's the technician's fault.

Quick Reply: Update on computer flash