Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 F350 Fuel Injected 7.5 liter. No spark and seemingly no fuel rail pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
DonKid
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 F350 Fuel Injected 7.5 liter. No spark and seemingly no fuel rail pressure.

No spark and seemingly no fuel pressure.

Truck was running fine when I parked it yesterday. This morning it wont start. After checking for spark by pulling a wire off the dist. and incerting a screw driver, and then rolling the engine over, (no spark). Also found very little, if any, pressure in the fuel line at the injecters.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any advice given.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM
DonKid
Freshman User
Somewhat revised..

I do have some fuel pressure. Each time I dump the pressure at the pressure release valve on the fuel rail, then turn my ingnition on I get pressure in the fuel rail again. I'm not sure its enough to start the engine but I would think so. I also have eletrical power at the ignition coil (small wires) while the ignition switch is on. But while turning the engine over I dont get spark from the coil wire at the dist.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Does the fuel pumps run all the time the key is on or does it run for one second and stop?
You have three possible reasons for no spark.
1. Bad computer, unplug to check if spark returns.
2. Bad TFI module on the side of the distributor, take to auto parts store to check if good or not.
3. Bad PIP sensor in the distributor, if on spark with computer unplugged and good tested TFI module replace distributor or stator inside of it.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
DonKid
Freshman User
Hey thanks a ton for your responce. I sure need help with this one because I'm old school,, way old school,, and still favor a carb and a dist with points.

As far as the fuel pump/s,, I have dual tanks and as close as I can tell no matter which tank the tank switch is turned to the fuel pump only runs a second or so once the key is turn to ON.

I'm pretty sure I basically know which parts your refering to other than the "computer".. Where do I find the computer on my 88 F350?? What does it look like?

My Chilton doesnt mention one so I looked over the suggested replacement parts on Auto Zone web site for my ignition system but a computer isnt listed. So if you can point me in the right direction I'd be way greatful!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Subford mentioned, remove the TFI module at the base of the dist & have it tested.

The module will have 2 screws recessed in the holes of the module. Any parts store will have the tool you need to remove the screws. Remove the connector & the 2 screws & pull down on the module. Have it tested.

If you replace it be sure to smear the grease that comes with it on the face of the module where it contacts the dist..

Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 PM
boots6868
Elder User
yep just got through with this ordeal myself. sounds like tfi module as already stated. i can add you may have to loosen and turn the distributor some to have access to the screw. once on 302 i had to lift the distributor up to get at them cause the tfi module was hitting a air condition support bar.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
The Computer (AKA ECU, EEC & PCM) is located in the drivers kick panel. It has a 10mm bolt in the center to back out the plug from under the hood.

Computer Image:

Computer Location:

Computer 10mm bolt:

Distributor:

/

Old 11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
DonKid
Freshman User
Thanks for all the responses guys. Theres no doubt I'll need it!

Subford: Pictures? Wow, their just what this old redneck needs! Thanks a ton. Btw, whats that brown thing hiding behind the blue Ford?
Sorry to see you lost a little buddy recently.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Thanks, she will be missed. I had her 14 years.
Do not know about the brown thing. I hijacked the photo off the net someplace but I do not remember where.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
DonKid
Freshman User
Yeah I bet you will miss her. I had a Boston Terrier for 12 years. She died some 15 years ago and I still miss her when I see another one that looks like she did.. Yep, they get under the skin..

Ok I unpluged the computer, still no spark at dist. I had the TFI check out, apparently its OK. So I bought a dist and will install it sometime later today. Sure hope that does the trick cause I already miss driving my old Ford.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Just do a search on my name "larrylass" and look for the longest post. There are a ton of wiring diagrams in there from subford. If you have time read those threads. Its a book i warn you but i bet youll find your problem in there and how to fix it!!

Biglar

Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 PM
DonKid
Freshman User
Subford; Well I did all you have suggested including installing a new dist but still no spark. Have anymore suggestions?? And thanks for your help

Larrylass; Theres alot of info there and sure to be handy as far as fuel problems.. But as I understand it as long as I'm not getting spark my fuel system wont build high pressure. But what do I know, could be way off base.. Thanks for pointing out that info..

Old 11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You said you have power to the coil key "On", does it have power to the coil when key is in the "start" position?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:57 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Then it would have to be a bad Ignition coil or wiring.
It could also be a bad plug that plugs on to the coil.
Do you have power on both sides of the coil with the key on.
If not look at the plug or coil.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM
DonKid
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies guys.

I do have power at the coil on both sides of the plug when the key is on. I'll have to check once I have day lite as to whether I still have power there while I'm cranking the engine. I'll check the coil wire too and report my findings.
With 125,000 miles on me old ferd (I bought it second hand 5 years ago) it wouldnt surprise me if that coil has never been changed.

Btw, what is the name of the grease used on eletrical connecters/connection?

Quick Reply: 1988 F350 Fuel Injected 7.5 liter. No spark and seemingly no fuel rail pressure.