Sponsored by:

Installed turbo back MBRP on my 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Installed turbo back MBRP on my 7.3

Did this yesterday. Bummer was I found the uppipe behind the downpipe has some soot. All of the others are clean. Anyway, My X has 154,000 miles on the factory exhaust and the seam on the bottom of the muffler was completely covered in soot. I have a Superchips 1705 and a 6637 kit. So I ordered the MBRP aluminized kit with the pretty tip. Install was pretty easy, but i will outline for those that are on the fence.
First and foremost, that downpipe is a bugger. I didnt know the factory downpipe was 3". The 4" is a tight fit.
1. I cut the tailpipe off of the muffler just behind the outlet and removed it.
2. I then unbolted the junction between the downpipe and intermediate pipe and removed that section with the muffler attached.
3. Next, I loosened the downpipe clamp and used a sawzall to cut the factory downpipe just in front of the crossmember. I moved topside and removed the clamp completely and removed the downpipe.
4. I tried and tried to snake the 4" downpipe up to the turbo. It just wouldnt go due to hitting the crossmember. So, I put a jack under the tranny pan from the drivers side and removed the crossmember. Took all of 10 minutes.
5. This is where I had to have help. My brother in law got under the X and fished the downpipe up to the turbo and i put the clamp on just loose enough that the pipe was difficult to rotate. With the crossmember off, I put the tailpipe on, the intermediate pipe and finally the muffler. I loosely installed all clamps.
6. I then reinstalled the crossmember to ensure clearance before final tightening.
7. I tightened all clamps and put the pretty tip on.
Impressions of the MBRP- the only fault I can find is the downpipe clearance. At the lower end, it barely hits one of the heatshields. I plan on trimming it later. The back of the downpipe is up against the foil insulation slightly. Maybe worn motor mounts. The rest of the system is fabulous. Tailpipe clearance is awesome. I had to remove the pass. side lower shock bolt to get the tailpipe in.
The sound is much deeper. I installed the muffler with the internal fins facing the rear, essentially making it a 4" straightpipe. This was MBRP's recommended install. I know this was a little long winded, but I am very pleased with the system. If there are any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea that downpipe was a little tight. Ended up taking mine to the shop. As lond as they were putting it on had them weld it together. I think the reduced restriction added an mpg or two also...

Old 11-16-2010, 09:16 AM
TXSailor
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my MBRP several months ago and have been very happy with it. Everyone agrees the Downpipe is the major source of "Install Irritation". I did mine entirely by myself (took some creative thinking to hold the downpipe in place while I moved from under to over the engine).

I did not have to remove the crossmember or shock and after install have good clearance around the Heat shield, etc.

Your going to love the way your engine sounds now and it does lower EGT's as well.

D

Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It does sound good! As far as the downpipe install without removing the crossmember- I admire your ability to do that. I tried and tried to wiggle it in there and it always seemed to hit the crossmember. At least it was easy enough to remove. The downpipe fell right in after that.