Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Oily Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you smelled that "welding" smell you may have lost a head gasket or worse, from what i can find there is a thread that i cant access on oilburners that has this exact situation. thread is RUH-ROH, tag is head gasket. if anyone has ability to get into their account check that one out.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
kpjr
Junior User
This is the only link that came up, although a bit short.

Oilburners.net

well tomorrow I clean the injector bores thoroughly and see how it goes after that.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
hmmm my acct must be fubar. sent it to the admins, hopefully i will get more later. what was the verdict of the thread you found?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 PM
kpjr
Junior User
That with the normal CDR setup, it is "normal" for oil to get on the tips of the injectors on #7 and #8. Nothing was specified as if it covered the entire injector. The thread starter said he had cleaned his CDR about 100 miles earlier when he pulled the injectors.

Agnem said the following, which is the last post in the thread:
"That probably wouldn't concern me then, until you convert to a road draft tube, and try the same test again."

Nothing was said whether it was a head gasket, bad ring, or a goddammit from space.

I cleaned my CDR about 400+ miles ago and it was effing filled with crude. After I cleaned it, she ran like a dream, until the recently.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 PM
ytlogger
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that if the cdr is not closing under acceleration then oil can be sucked into the intake and I believe it can cause oily 7 and 8 and worse on account of higher combustion temps. If you put the new injectors in, run it and find the white smoke again then you will know something is up. Was there any change in the smoke condition when idling or accelerating? Could it have been kind of gray or definitely white?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:26 AM
kpjr
Junior User
Originally Posted by ytlogger
I think that if the cdr is not closing under acceleration then oil can be sucked into the intake and I believe it can cause oily 7 and 8 and worse on account of higher combustion temps. If you put the new injectors in, run it and find the white smoke again then you will know something is up. Was there any change in the smoke condition when idling or accelerating? Could it have been kind of gray or definitely white?
When running down the road, no smoke. Idling for 2+ minutes, you would get very light smoke that would remind you of vapors on a very cold morning.

I am shade blind (a type of colorblindness) so I have difficult in telling certain shades & colors apart. I have had to rely on some friends and family members to tell me what color the smoke is. Most have said white-ish with very very subtle blues. Personally, I have seen the vapors/smoke but it looks grey-ish white to me but never noticed any blue.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I still don't understand how oil can coat the portions of the injectors in the block from the valve covers.

Have someone drive you truck and follow close behind. Make sure they get on it and idle it to see and smell the smoke. Smell the smoke and see what it smells like. Mine smells like fuel and oil. My friends describe it as a foul odor that makes them sick to their stomachs.

During a cold start, mine will smoke a white smoke. Again, this smoke does not smell sweet, it's a pungent fuel odor. Usually, if I idle for 2+ minutes at a light, when I take-off, it will blow a blue gray plume that lingers. My CDR was bought ~6-8 months ago. My injectors and 2-3 glow plugs are done. I have new BB injectors and Berus to install. I'm pretty sure my motor is blowing oil over the rings. All that and the truck still pulls like a champ.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
That's the funny thing about these trucks, even when they are running rough, they still run well!

Old 11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
kpjr
Junior User
Well I ran into a little hitch on Sunday when installing the return lines. Apparently I have the older 3/16th fitting, but I bought the 89-94 return line kit from Pensicola Diesel. Currently hunting for a 1/4-inch fitting to complete it. I swear there use to be wrecking yards a hell of a closer than they are right now.

I'll let you guys know when I get her done.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
tunaman
New User
Any update on this? I have pretty much the exact same problem. It really looked like one side of the engine had newer injectors but the driver side was original maybe but they had oil all on the lower half of the injectors. Only problem with van before I started work on it was that it was very hard to start in the morning as if it was not getting any fuel. Was hoping new return lines and caps would help solve that problem and figured putting in new injectors would be a good idea too.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tunaman
Any update on this? I have pretty much the exact same problem. It really looked like one side of the engine had newer injectors but the driver side was original maybe but they had oil all on the lower half of the injectors. Only problem with van before I started work on it was that it was very hard to start in the morning as if it was not getting any fuel. Was hoping new return lines and caps would help solve that problem and figured putting in new injectors would be a good idea too.
It might be a weak IP not giving enough pressure to "pop" the injectors.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 PM
WesternStar
Freshman User
Hey I had this same problem. Just changed all 8 and some of them (can't remember which ones) were coated with oil for sure. Not fuel. Valve cover not leaking. Truck is hard to start but glow plug controller is garb. Just going to put in a toggle switch. Anyway truck runs awesome once going and since I only paid 1k for the truck (screaming deal by the way, very nice truck) I figured I'd address it when it stops running so well! So if u figure it out in the mean time... let me know!

Oh, I also did oil and coolant samples at the place that tests my heavy equip and the samples were fine. Fluid samples are a great tool by the way... they can tell u a lot! Highly recommend

Old 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
kpjr
Junior User
well it turned out it was must worse than anything I was prepared for. While driving her one day, she was puffing white smoke that smelled like burning metal. (That was fixed once before.) I pulled over just as she shut down on me. I called a buddy over to see if I could get some assistance and when we tried to start her again, she was dumping oil all over the ground. A few days of us two going and looking into it, we couldn't figure what was wrong. Took her to a shop, where I was told she was goner on several different levels. Only got about another 300 miles out of her before she bit it. Now I'm waiting to get a new motor into her, once my funds are available.

Last edited by kpjr; 08-17-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: bad typos
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
How did it die? Rod through the block?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by kpjr
well it turned out it was must worse than anything I was prepared for. While driving her one day, she was puffing white smoke that smelled like burning metal. (That was fixed once before.) I pulled over just as she shut down on me. I called a buddy over to see if I could get some assistance and when we tried to start her again, she was dumping oil all over the ground. A few days of us two going and looking into it, we couldn't figure what was wrong. Took her to a shop, where I was told she was goner on several different levels. Only got about another 300 miles out of her before she bit it. Now I'm waiting to get a new motor into her, once my funds are available.
You should break the engine down and try to see what went wrong. i'm sorry about the dead engine, but it would be cool to see some carnage pics.

Quick Reply: Oily Injectors