starter issues.

Old 02-26-2003, 09:34 PM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter issues.

this is on my 86 ford bronco 2 2.9 .
what going on with it is when the truck is cold the cranks over like it should. nice fast strong not to loud. but when its warmed up the thing just cant turn the engine. its the second starter ive had on it but it is a used one. is this a common problem with these things or did i just get a bad starter. the first one was replaced because it was completly gone.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:49 PM
black wolf
Senior User
starter issues.

Bumpin thats not normal when the motor is hot for your starter. eather get it rebuilt with the kit or get a new one. some times its a gamble to buy used starters

Old 03-11-2003, 07:05 PM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
starter issues.

i was thinking the same thing aswell. but untill i get the rest of it taken care of im gonna keep tracken everything else down so i can fix itfast.

Old 03-15-2003, 02:34 AM
Mauser8mm
Senior User
starter issues.

Also make sure all of you battery connections are tight such as you battery posts and wires to the starter. Check the wire to the starter make sure that there are no holes in it that has happend to me before. If its none of those then the starter is toast. good Luck!

Old 03-16-2003, 11:11 PM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
starter issues.

well guys ive rewired and fixed all the wiring. did that when i first got it. my thoughts bet me on the starter. so when the first one died i replaced it. well it did the same thing and im affraid it on the same path. well this may not be a big issue for much longer. i just got a job making descent money and since i have only a few bills i can afford to play now. as far as i can understand any v6 ford engine will bolt right in minus a computer and wire swap. well my q is wich one :O i want the low end torque of my 2.9 but i want more upper power. it feels like the things got no kahonas over 55 or 70. i know ill need a clutch aswell. but will the rest of the drive train hold up to a better engine. i can honestly say the 2.9 is a poorly designed engine (because of the ticking) but it will run forever. just not good. i must have a silent engine (no ticking or screeching lol) but i must have the loud exhaust and good upper power. wich one would be a wise swap for me. ive already dismissed the idea of a five o. and id like one that can bolt in with lil or no mods. i need to be able to do this in a weekend or less. im not worried aobut the clutch safety switch ill bypass if i must but i need a simple swap. a very simple swap. i can handle the wiring fine but i have no way to make any major mods to mounts and such. also will i need to get a new bell housing?

Old 03-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Billy177
Senior User
starter issues.

get a heat sheild for teh starter or make one also what kind of battery cables are you using

Old 03-27-2003, 09:31 PM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
starter issues.

im using the factory cables. they dont seem to be breaking down or getting hot. iv'e already checked them over and couldn't find anything wrong. the grounds are good. im going to have to make the heat shield though. stainless steal good for this?

Search this Thread