Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NO START - Need Guidance ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:36 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm back from my across-the-state trip, and will be digging in shortly.

Local dealers started out this morning by asking $319.96 for a new Ford IPR. Called Clay and looked at Ed's site and found $190-$198 pricing, both of which are great improvements.

I Called the dealer again and they quickly dropped the price to $221, but said they could go no lower.

I scanned eBay for a few minutes and snagged a brand new unit for $133 with Free Shipping. I can get by without the vehicle for several days waiting on the new unit from the eBayer in NY, and will in the meantime complete all the other work I wanted to do anyway.

Once I get the IPR in (and I may just go ahead and swap mine into the Excursion as a prelim test), I'll post back with results.

Thanks again, guys.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
Robin, that is good info. Now I want to go watch my ICP and IPR duty cycle on the start up just to see what I get. Possible next weekend swap, have to talk to Ed again. He's busy again.

Tom kick Robin for me when you see him. I sent those injectors down to you. That ICP sensor I gave you was out of a new warranty motor so you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by F250_
. I don't believe I can afford the downtime to wait for a delivery from Ed on this one,

Pete, there is always time..........

i'm here for ya man.....

ok, i'm really at work trying to catch up on all this paperwork......ugh

Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed, you are my hero!!!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by partsguyed.com
...Pete, there is always time..........

i'm here for ya man.....

I hear ya', Ed, and I appreciate what you do for us, too. I ended up voting for taking the time, but cash flow dictates that I take the eBay approach... there is just too much money difference for me to ignore it right now.

Thanks, though.

Anyway, I didn't get under the VC's like I had wanted... perhaps tomorrow after church.

I did find that the brakes on all four corners of the Ex are in good shape, and I also got the fuel filter changed and it didn't look too bad.

I then verified an OK condition on the front brakes of my truck and changed both fuel filters and the coolant filter as well.

... now just to wait for the IPR to arrive and get it installed to verify the diagnosis.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear ya', Ed, and I appreciate what you do for us, too. I ended up voting for taking the time, but cash flow dictates that I take the eBay approach... there is just too much money difference for me to ignore it right now.

Thanks, though.

Anyway, I didn't get under the VC's like I had wanted... perhaps tomorrow after church.

I did find that the brakes on all four corners of the Ex are in good shape, and I also got the fuel filter changed and it didn't look too bad.

I then verified an OK condition on the front brakes of my truck and changed both fuel filters and the coolant filter as well.

... now just to wait for the IPR to arrive and get it installed to verify the diagnosis.
I am thinking the IPR will do the trick. It may be a good idea to keep a spare on hand between the 3 7.3's that are in your family now.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
F250_
Hotshot
I'm planning on getting a rebuild kit and attempt to rebuild the one I take out. Could become an inexpensive spare, but also may be a waste of my time, too. Either way, I'm planning on gettign a spare because I'm fairly certain that the one in my own truck is fading rather quickly.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM
twtcad
Senior User
I was wondering about the IPR rebuild kit as well.........any thoughts on is this a waist of time?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Pete, if by chance you will be near the Prattville area tomorrow, I have a spare IPR that you are more than welcome to try. Sorry I didint see this thread sooner, but we were in Auburn this weekend for homecoming.

Call me if you want to come get this IPR.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Brandon, I really appreciate the offer, and would take you up on it if I could. Time is short this week for me though. Even if the new unit gets here late Tuesday, which I do not expect, I won't have the time to put it in before I leave for Louisville on Wednesday. Right now, I'm just planning on working on it Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by twtcad
I was wondering about the IPR rebuild kit as well.........any thoughts on is this a waist of time?
Not a waste of time if done properly, plus big savings. IPR Rebuild Kit at Dieselorings.com.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Not a waste of time if done properly, plus big savings. IPR Rebuild Kit at Dieselorings.com.
Sweet........is there a test I can do to see if it actually is a bad sensor or just needs this rebuild kit? Thank You!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM
F250_JR
Senior User
Brandon I wish I had seen your post earlier...I've been in Auburn all weekend. You need to hit me up next time yall are in town!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:25 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by twtcad
Sweet........is there a test I can do to see if it actually is a bad sensor or just needs this rebuild kit? Thank You!
It's not a sensor but a valve that regulates ICP. IPR + Injector Pressure Regulator. Monitoring ICP with a scantool is the easiest way to test it. See post #9.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 AM
F250_
Hotshot
OK, Robin... you've got me baited now. Any suggestions on how to do it properly?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
OK, Robin... you've got me baited now. Any suggestions on how to do it properly?
No baiting intended. What I meant by "properly" was to follow the instructions. If not done correctly it would certainly be a waste of time.

Even when I follow instructions, without double checking my work, I don't always do something "properly".

Quick Reply: NO START - Need Guidance ASAP