6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
Old 11-13-2014, 06:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Stock exhaust modification questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock exhaust modification questions?

I am wanting a little more sound out of my exhaust. I am still under warranty until July of next year so if I remove the cat I would want to be able to replace it. Also,I am running stock tuning and plan to stay that way so I don't think I really need a 4" turbo back. I am thinking of just modding my stock system. I have done a search and found a little info but not everything I need. I see there is a Cat delete pipe that will bolt on the stock system avail. and I've read that removal of the cat will increase the turbo whistle but I don't know if it will give me more "growl"? Or should I keep the cat and remove the muffler? Or do I need to straight pipe the stock system? (thinking this might get a little too loud but don't know)Or do I need a cat back 4" system to sound good? I don't want "obnoxious" exhaust I would just like to give it a little "growl" and maybe a little whistle wouldn't hurt either . Too many options!! What do ya'll think?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
lewis racing
Senior User
i started off with removing the muffler, made it a little louder, then i gutted the cat. Then later just ran a straight pipe thru the cat and welded the cat around it for looks. With the fake cat in place i had no problem getting it inspected. I finally went with the mbrp 4" turbo back exhaust but honestly it wasn't much difference in the stock straight pipe set up i had. the mbrp did give it a little more growl so i really like it and its a lot cleaner looking. We don't have the emission testing here,, so glad of that.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by lewis racing
i started off with removing the muffler, made it a little louder, then i gutted the cat. Then later just ran a straight pipe thru the cat and welded the cat around it for looks. With the fake cat in place i had no problem getting it inspected. I finally went with the mbrp 4" turbo back exhaust but honestly it wasn't much difference in the stock straight pipe set up i had. the mbrp did give it a little more growl so i really like it and its a lot cleaner looking. We don't have the emission testing here,, so glad of that.
Thanks bud,you sound like the man I need to talk to!! Did it sound much different after gutting the cat or did that not make ALOT of difference? If I'm right here,I would think removing the muffler will make it louder but removing the cat would give you more whistle or am I wrong ?

Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get cat delet pipes like I did. much louder and I love how large of a drop in egt's I got and I still have low end power.

This can be put on and take off when ever you want
MBRP 6.0L Powerstroke Aluminized Cat Delete Pipe FAL414

This you will need to weld the back side. Unless you design a way to clamp it on.
Ford 6L Powerstroke Diesel Stock Muffler Delete Pipe

Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokersteve
You can get cat delet pipes like I did. much louder and I love how large of a drop in egt's I got and I still have low end power.

This can be put on and take off when ever you want
MBRP 6.0L Powerstroke Aluminized Cat Delete Pipe FAL414

This you will need to weld the back side. Unless you design a way to clamp it on.
Ford 6L Powerstroke Diesel Stock Muffler Delete Pipe
Thanks,that looks like the easy way to do things.I just wish I could find sound bites or something for the modified stock system so I can tell what I actually want. I found some stuff on you tube but it was mostly 4" turbo back or it didn't specify exactly what it was.If I know I will like it,I could delete the muffler for good and fix it where I can bolt the Cat back in as needed.That sounds like the best way to go. I just don't wanna go too far and find that it's too loud while towing and have to put it all back.Anybody ever deleted the muffler and left the cat on? How does that sound?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 AM
lawnboy1965
Senior User
I have the MBRP 4" cat back with the cat delete pipe and no muffler, my friend has the cat delete pipe and no muffler on his stock exhaust, there really isnt any difference in sound. On the highway at 60mph you can really hear it because it is grunting but at 70 to 75 mph you dont even notice it. But when you put a load on it, it really talks to you, it sounds great, makes me want to pull a loaded trailer around all the time.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by lawnboy1965
I have the MBRP 4" cat back with the cat delete pipe and no muffler, my friend has the cat delete pipe and no muffler on his stock exhaust, there really isnt any difference in sound. On the highway at 60mph you can really hear it because it is grunting but at 70 to 75 mph you dont even notice it. But when you put a load on it, it really talks to you, it sounds great, makes me want to pull a loaded trailer around all the time.
That's cool!! I think I'll delete both and see how it sounds and I can always put the Cat back in if it's too loud while towing,(and at insp. time). I read of a few "bad experiences" with CEL's and loss of bottom end while modding exhaust,what's the deal with that? I see ALOT of folks on here running 4" T.B. with no problem.Is it just certain flashes or something?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Think I found it!!!

I poked around on you tube a little more and found a clip of a stock system with muffler delete and still had the stock Cat. It's pretty much what I am lookin' for,a little tone without TOO MUCH whistle. Think I'll be happy with it. Thanks to everybody that helped!!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
lawnboy1965
Senior User
It really sounds cool when your sitting at a stop light and it does the turbo sweep, it really growls and people look at you like, what are you doing, I just smile and romp on it when I take off.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 PM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by lawnboy1965
It really sounds cool when your sitting at a stop light and it does the turbo sweep, it really growls and people look at you like, what are you doing, I just smile and romp on it when I take off.
Great minds do think alike,I love irritating poeple too!!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
fatcowvtx
Junior User
I have a straight stock pipe. I cut the pipe about 2" before the cat and the same behind the muffler. I then went to a place that had the same size pipe, cut it to length, and used some pipe band clamps to hook it all together. I have the old pipe in the barn if they every do checks here. I was under $100 for all. easy and it works. The sound is good. My wife hates it so it must be cool!!! Only loud when you stomp on it. love going in tunnels. oh ya I welded some little supports on the new pipe to hold ever thing up, muffler shop sold some to me for cheep. I used the old rubber dammits to hook it to the truck.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:46 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WH 6.0
I poked around on you tube a little more and found a clip of a stock system with muffler delete and still had the stock Cat. It's pretty much what I am lookin' for,a little tone without TOO MUCH whistle. Think I'll be happy with it. Thanks to everybody that helped!!

Some trucks may have the same exhaust but different oem turbos, effecting the sound

Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WH 6.0
That's cool!! I think I'll delete both and see how it sounds and I can always put the Cat back in if it's too loud while towing,(and at insp. time). I read of a few "bad experiences" with CEL's and loss of bottom end while modding exhaust,what's the deal with that? I see ALOT of folks on here running 4" T.B. with no problem.Is it just certain flashes or something?
4" pipe is fine. Going bigger than 4" moves the curve of the torque and hp. to higher rpm levels. That is why they have loss of power on the bottom end.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokersteve
Some trucks may have the same exhaust but different oem turbos, effecting the sound
Thanks for bringing that up,but I thought about that.The sound clips that I found were from an '05 so it should sound the same as my '06. The '03 does sound SWEET though!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 AM
WH 6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by flamebuster
4" pipe is fine. Going bigger than 4" moves the curve of the torque and hp. to higher rpm levels. That is why they have loss of power on the bottom end.
Thanks for the info!! That makes sense.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust modification questions?