General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

First time home buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 AM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need a realtor to buy a home.

If you go see a house on your own, the seller's agent will not have to split the commission with another agency.

That gives you more room to bargain. The seller's agent could agree to forefeit a chunk of his commission, and make it easier for the buyer to accept a lower offer.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 AM
DriveNASCAR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by websthes
You don't need a realtor to buy a home.

If you go see a house on your own, the seller's agent will not have to split the commission with another agency.

That gives you more room to bargain. The seller's agent could agree to forefeit a chunk of his commission, and make it easier for the buyer to accept a lower offer.
While this is true, I'd personally advise against being your own agent unless you know A LOT about contracts, real estate law, etc.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
FORD RANGER
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we've been here for almost 8 years. i asked my mortgage company to lower our payments. i like i said before i had to fight with them. but they did finally. i have a lot of money in this place. i just told them if they were going to pay me for all the work i did. they said no. to the tune of about 10,000$ i spent 3800$ on the front porch. and another 3000$ on the corner of my house when some kid hit my car and pushed into my livingroom. and i had to rebuild all that. including windows. the triple pane insulated windows are not cheap. and my labor to fix it. if you can get a fixed rate. and never buy an old drug house either!
i like the location because its a corner lot.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You didn't sign a contract with that realtor did you?

If not, fire him.

There's no reason for him to meet with your lender, unless of course he wants to push you to another lender, or if he's trying to find out how much you qualify for so that he can push pricier houses to you.

You shouldn't be rushed. Looking at two houses is nothing. I looked at nearly 50 houses before I said screw it and had one custom built. I fired three realtors during that time before finally finding a patient one. She was completely cool with our decision to build and even helped us find find acreage, free of charge.

Fire him and get someone else. Realtors are a dime a dozen and they're all hungry right now.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stu37d
I don't think it's necessary to be there while the inspection is being done. It sounds like a wasted afternoon to me. These guys' reputation IS their business. If they do shoddy work, or aren't completely honest on an inspection, they'll be out of work soon. Besides wasting your own time, you may find that the inspector is unable to do as good a job with you standing over his shoulder asking him tons of questions. You'er paying $300 or so for a good inspection, let the man do his job.
You should be there when you're having a house inspected. That way you know the report, and have first hand knowledge all of the issues that are found during the inspection.

When we had our house inspected before closing, I hung on to our inspector's belt loop and our house was brand new construction. He didn't mind at all and I learned a lot. Being there gave me the upper hand when it came time to go over the issues that he found with the builder. I knew the report intimately as I was there when it was written. In the end, I got my way on every finding.

Remember, the inspector works for the buyer. You're paying him. He doesn't want you around, fire him too. It might sound like being a hard *** but oh well, you have to be. This is a LOT OF MONEY. People that half *** it are the ones that are crying the blues five or ten years down the road.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,247 Likes on 820 Posts
^^^^^ +1 and +1.

Scott is totally 100% correct IMHO on everything he posted.

To the OP, are you a veteran? If so, are you using your VA?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,524 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Here is something about VA home loans that most do not know. If you are a veteran and disabled you can get the funding fee waived.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Always get the mortage first btw...then you know how much and what your payments would be at a given loan amount.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:21 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks everyone!!!

No we do not have a contract with the realtor. Now thinking back to the first house we looked at with him we showed him our pre-approval letter and he said we need to shop around to different banks and gave me two mortgage peoples names from different banks. I told him I figured since it was an FHA loan that it'd be the same everywhere. We were approved for more than I asked the lady at the bank to write the pre-approval letter for because I knew I didn't want to spend over that amount.

The other day he was asking us about if we were gonna put in an offer on one of the houses and I was like I don't know yet we're not sure. He then says well I'm not trying to push or rush you, to which I replied I'M NOT GONNA LET YOU PUSH ME INTO ANYTHING. He went on to say that other people were looking at the house too. I don't care if other people are looking at it, if we would have loved the house and had to have it, then we would have said right then we want to put in an offer.

And no I'm not a veteran.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 AM
mark996
Senior User
Place I was looking at buying a truck from said the same thing, said there were 3 people due in the next morning, 9, 9:30, and 10am. So I said alright I'll be there at 8:30. Got there, looked it over, drove it, came back, 9:15, no one around, 9:45, nope...10:15 I asked one of the other people if those who were coming to look at the truck were gonna show up, she said "no one else has even called about that truck..." out the door I went. Our realtor was awesome. She walked us through everything, asked us 1000 questions and got everything squared away. She told us that if she ever did or said anything that made us feel uncomfortable about anything to let her know on the spot. She was very upfront and honest, she was awesome. We ended up with a 4.25% loan in the end at 25 years old. We both had an overall good experience.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,247 Likes on 820 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutton
Thanks everyone!!!

No we do not have a contract with the realtor. Now thinking back to the first house we looked at with him we showed him our pre-approval letter and he said we need to shop around to different banks and gave me two mortgage peoples names from different banks. I told him I figured since it was an FHA loan that it'd be the same everywhere. We were approved for more than I asked the lady at the bank to write the pre-approval letter for because I knew I didn't want to spend over that amount.

The other day he was asking us about if we were gonna put in an offer on one of the houses and I was like I don't know yet we're not sure. He then says well I'm not trying to push or rush you, to which I replied I'M NOT GONNA LET YOU PUSH ME INTO ANYTHING. He went on to say that other people were looking at the house too. I don't care if other people are looking at it, if we would have loved the house and had to have it, then we would have said right then we want to put in an offer.

And no I'm not a veteran.

I'd fire this jacka$$.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
You should be there when you're having a house inspected. That way you know the report, and have first hand knowledge all of the issues that are found during the inspection.

When we had our house inspected before closing, I hung on to our inspector's belt loop and our house was brand new construction. He didn't mind at all and I learned a lot. Being there gave me the upper hand when it came time to go over the issues that he found with the builder. I knew the report intimately as I was there when it was written. In the end, I got my way on every finding.

Remember, the inspector works for the buyer. You're paying him. He doesn't want you around, fire him too. It might sound like being a hard *** but oh well, you have to be. This is a LOT OF MONEY. People that half *** it are the ones that are crying the blues five or ten years down the road.
While I definitley concede your point, I think it's probably a matter of personal preference. A learning experience, for sure!