Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front end Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front end Clunk

So I'm on my way back from Ridgeland, MS yesterday on I-20. The section of I-20 is kinda a slow gradual whoop-d-woop section(only way i know to describe it). I noticed a clunk-pop from the front end. I could only hear it/feel it after i crested these small hills and was on the way back down. In other words, from the weight shifting on the way back down. I know it's not my sway bar end links cause it's removed waiting on new bushings. what could this be and what/how do i need to check?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
rednekrebel28
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I see you have a front end leveling kit. What kind? shackles or leafs? Reason I ask is because after I installed my shackles, the leaf spring bushings were giving way more. Get underneath and grab you front steering drag link from the steering gear to the wheel. Make sure its not the steering gear itself poping, if so, tighten your steering gear all the way in and back it out a half of a turn.
Next, grab the track bar which links the frame to the axle and try to move that. You may need to take breaker bar and pry on it. You will notice it will slide quick and pop if it is either loose or bushings are bad.
Still not finding it, jack the truck up. block it. Try to pry on the leaf springs. Shake the tires side to side. Check for play there. Then pry up and down on the tire to check ball joints.
If there was anything i missed, someone will chime it. Oh, pry up and down on the front u joints at the wheels too. They are known to build play in them and clunk, but usually only at stop and go. Check the shock bushings as well.